Costco rubber boot mat = perfect fit for Spaceback

Hello

While this is also useful to normal Rapid owners, it's particularly of relevance to Spaceback owners.

I popped into Costco on the way home from work last night and decided to invest in on of their £10 rubber boot mats. Having roughly sized it up I figured it would be close enough fit-wise for the Spaceback's boot when carrying mucky stuff.

Well, queue my amazement in the Costco car park when I lobbed it into my empty boot and discovered to my amazement that it was a perfect fit. Seriously, it's like the thing was tailored for the car.

So, if you want a good fitting rubber boot mat for the Spaceback, and don't fancy paying £30-50 for the genuine Skoda one, get to Costco and get one of theirs. Width-wise it should also be fine for the normal Rapid, but will have a gap depth-wise.

Phone was flat last night hence no pics, but I'll empty the boot again when the snow has subsided and get some images up.

• Like 2

I'm emptying my boot tomorrow, so will get the all important pic of the mat in situ then. For now, here's some pics of the mats on the shelf:

16255973680_85ac209d1f_c.jpg

Untitled by Chris Green, on Flickr

16257470727_49fa6b2c11_c.jpg

Untitled by Chris Green, on Flickr

Here are the long-promised pics of the mat in situ in the boot of the Spaceback:

27558f7c327d7909057e485d57107aa1.jpg

a54f868aaa3854866ec00a2d0e9d70b4.jpg

6f405fc84d2a42b6f7be8c03f065a8f5.jpg

031fd2b4fd102537986f003137bb0ef5.jpg

ea5d2b5eb794aeb30c48565bdf093ec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Yep - IIRC correctly the normal Rapid boot is about 100 litres bigger than the Spaceback, but the Spaceback's 385 Litre space (exc spare wheel well) is a taller, square space, whereas the faux saloon shaped hatch back cuts into the 480+ (exc spare wheel well) litres of the normal Rapid.

If you are trying to carry a full size under counter fridge in the back without dropping the seats, you want a Spaceback. In 99.999999% of cases, the larger Rapid boot is perfectly practical.

So this Costco boot tray should drop in my Toledo with space to spare front or back, a gap? Width should be the same.

Correct.

I don't see how the Spaceback has less knee room than the standard Rapid, the floor pan is the same on both cars (that's why they use the same mats). So the rear footwells are the same size on both, meaning leg and knee room should be the same. The only physical changes are behind the rear seat, the rear doors and the roofline (and of course the Spaceback's superior suspension setup) :)

• 2 months later...

I just remembered about this thread.

I picked up a boot mat for my Toledo, it needs a trim around side edges as it's slightly wider than the boot space but still fits and looks good as is. Length wise it just doesn't fill the last 3 inches of the boot floor at the back of the boot but I don't put stuff that far back in the boot. £3.99 Home Bargains

I just remembered about this thread.

I picked up a boot mat for my Toledo, it needs a trim around side edges as it's slightly wider than the boot space but still fits and looks good as is. Length wise it just doesn't fill the last 3 inches of the boot floor at the back of the boot but I don't put stuff that far back in the boot. £3.99 Home Bargains

I think I've seen the mat you bought in Home Bargains - it's quite thin IIRC? On the plus side it will make trimming easier (cutting the Costco one isn't an option - too thick to do it neatly). However, the Costco mat would have dropped in without trimming and would have fitted width-wise perfectly.

^^^^Yeah quite thin, rather like those cheap foot mats. As you say makes for easy trimming, a pair of heavy duty scissors does the job.

Keeps my muddy boots off the luxury fitted carpet (not) that Seat fitted in there. :D

• Like 1

Are the little plastic dividers, shown in the photos separating a fire extinguisher on one side and aerosols on the other, standard fit in the UK? 

They look really handy and weren't fitted to my Aus spaceback.

There's a thread with all the part numbers etc. Easy to add but it is a retrofit. Will cost about £16 to do.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.