Whistling climate control?

Can anyone out there with a FL Superb2 (mine is an Elegance if that makes a difference) tell me if you put the blower on high heat (MAX/25/26) and speed settings 4/5 does it make a whistling noise? Sounds like an old kettle, it fluctuates a bit, kind of like there is a film left on something, or the bushes in the motor are rubbing.

Basically the dealership told me it's a characteristic and that all Superbs do this. They have very little credibility left with me and I don't believe anything they tell me.

Also should there be any noticeable airflow through the rear B pillar vents? I've tried with the blower on max, using all the different air directions, and checked when moving at speed and nothing al all comes out of them.

Thanks for any feedback!

The dealer is fobbing you off.

You could give this a go; with Vagcom you can "realign the flap positions", basically this forces the AC system to "relearn" the 0% => 100% flap positions. However if this is a car under warranty, take it back to the dealer to get it sorted.

It does whistle sometimes, for a short period of time. Even on auto.

And there is pretty little airflow through the B-pillar vents in my Superb aswell. Don't know if this is common.

Im a proud owner of a Superb dough. Were at some dealers yesterday, sat in Avensis, A6, A7, V70 and XC70. There are huge quality differences in the interior. Superb beats them all in every way! Except the looks. Staying real

Sent by Tapatalk

Teach it the words? ;)

Seriously, it makes me think that you may be running a fairly high fan speed (and hence partial pressure in the ducts wrt the car interior) with either a control flap or a vent only slightly open.

My 2011 Superb whistles from time to time.

When turning on the ignition on a morning I get some strange noises from the Climate before the engine is started too.

The whistling can appear from one month to the next, just as it gets noticeable enough to be annoying it disappears for another few weeks!

It has done it since I have owned it from 18 months old and 14,000 miles (now on 65K).

Thanks for the replies. I'm not surprised they are fobbing me off, seems for them easier than actually investigating the problem. As a car the Superb is great, comfortable, good load space, DSG and I'm 6'6" and passengers can actually use the rear seat behind me! Just a shame the dealer can't sort some of these little issues  :wall:

The whistle is inconsistent on low heats, but always on high heat and can be reproduced on demand. I could understand if this happened before turning the engine on, because all the controls need to reset and the system is cold, but this happens all the time. I've made sure all the vents are open (inc. the glovebox).

As for the rear pillar, I know in the past from other cars when the vents are in the back of the centre console they are normally quite weak, but they are definitely open and there is zero airflow. Not sure if they are driven from one single motor in the dash - its quite a long route for the air to travel. In general the climate control on high setting makes a lot of noise for not much airflow - even with just "forward" direction set.

Looks like a trip back to the dealership for me...

Its worth checking the fan motor i reckon , they drop down easily and you can see/feel if the fan is ok .

On a separate issue I dont know why people turn climate all the way up , if the car is colder than the set temperature the climate control will automatically go to full hot to warm it up , only when it reaches its set temperature does it cool down , at that point it simply maintains the set temp , just like your central heating

My 2009 Superb has the simpler heater controls (i.e. it's an 'S' model). It whistles also.

The whistle only occurs on, say, the first 6-7 miles during the colder, winter weather; it would seem to be affected by the heater thermostat calling for 'extra' (from an air-blender heater?) when the cabin is cold. When the engine and cabin warms up it disappears, unless I then select an even higher temperature. so it seems to be dependant in the position of the air-blender flap(?). This is thermostatically controlled on my model.

When I removed the main-dealer installed pollen filter it had a tear in the filter sealing foam that sits against the access door. I tried to repair this, the noise is now slightly different, but that may be unrelated. The filter is a genuine VAG part.

I have removed and cleaned/dismantled the fan motor a couple of times. This has made no difference to mine. Perhaps a different brand of pollen filter may help. I don't remember it doing it before the filter was changed 18 months ago, but the weather was warm then!

HTH.