Thank you LV for not writing it off.

I have an 03 Ambiente TDi 90bhp with 53k on the clock(verified). My wife had an altercation with the rear of a Fiat 500 and our car needs n/s headlight, indicator unit, complete grill, bumper cover and bumper bar. I put it through the insurance, as I couldn't do the job myself for less than the excess, fully expecting them to write it off. To my surprise they are repairing it, estimate £1100.

They obviously, actually, took into account the condition and mileage.

post-6883-0-58222000-1423162785_thumb.jpgpost-6883-0-95552100-1423162812_thumb.jpgpost-6883-0-70307900-1423162825_thumb.jpgpost-6883-0-14586000-1423162839_thumb.jpg

there are lots of silver octavias being broken - you could get a cash in lieu settlement and repair yourself for cheaper if you wished.

If they had written it off I would have done that, but I didn't particularly want to do the job this time of year or have Cat C/D on the car.

• Like 1

If they had written it off I would have done that, but I didn't particularly want to do the job this time of year or have Cat C/D on the car.

A cash in leiu payment would not have put a marker on the car.  I only learnt that you could do this recently, when a family member had an accident in november, and the insurance company recommended repair still had not collected the car - complained to them saying i didnt want to get it repaired by them, and they suggested cash in leiu

A cash in leiu payment would not have put a marker on the car.  I only learnt that you could do this recently, when a family member had an accident in november, and the insurance company recommended repair still had not collected the car - complained to them saying i didnt want to get it repaired by them, and they suggested cash in leiu

If the insurers were going to repair the car then it wasn't a write off and wouldn't have had a cat C/D marker anyway... or am I missing something?

I am in the same boat we have the same model and it's done 62k and I am more worried about some one else bumping into it than us. Because they would write it off in a second! it's worth more to us as a low miles car than it is to them the insurance company.. Nice one so glad it's getting fixed.. 

I would even go as far to offer to use used parts in order to keep the car on the road.. 

My Mk1 in silver had many a run in, there are so many in scrap yards and the colour is always the same, 2 bonnets, 2 bumpers both front wings, both drivers side doors a boot and a drivers side passenger door over the 7 years I had it. I did have to have the back quarter repaired once too but the rest was mainly caused by deer and 1 fiesta!

sounds like triggers broom LOL...

I have respayed, bonnet, pass door, both sills, drivers door, and rear drivers side quater. 

only to keep it tidy.. all the main panels where key scratches from it's time in London ( north ).

Mainly to keep it tidy.. when you have a car with such low miles and your the one gaining all the benefit of it's use over the next 5 years then you want to look after it.. 

it's funny I have no interest in getting a newer car.. This does 100% every thing we want even the AC works. our other Skoda has less spec and no ac that works! we want to sell that one and keep the older one.. 1.6 Petrol works great the newer one is Diesel 1.9 

But your right if you can get the panel in the breakers yard clean then you just bolt it on.. I looked at getting a pass door but it was showing signs of a poor cheap blow over in the past that was peeling.. so I wouldn't have gained anything.. better repainting what I had 

Got the car back from the repairer's this afternoon. Cracking job, worth the excess, I reckon. Took it in at 1:15 Wednesday got it back at 2:15 today. Thank you, Clarkes at Corby for an excellent job, done well and dealt with me how a customer should be treated. Only down side was the brand new, 5 miles on the clock, Corsa SXI. Hated the thing, has a worse ride than my Citigo and the visibility to the side rear is appalling. You couldn't give me one. 

• Like 1

Interesting it was LV. I have not used them but on 16th Feb last year I was knocked off my bicycle by a driver insured by them. I spoke to them as soon as I had recovered enough and they agreed immediately on the phone to pay the cost of repair, recovery etc.

My solicitor has also got me a reasonable damages payout inc all my expenses to hospitals etc, without having to fight too hard.

I will certainly look at them for insurance when renewal is due.

Interesting it was LV. I have not used them but on 16th Feb last year I was knocked off my bicycle by a driver insured by them. I spoke to them as soon as I had recovered enough and they agreed immediately on the phone to pay the cost of repair, recovery etc.

My solicitor has also got me a reasonable damages payout inc all my expenses to hospitals etc, without having to fight too hard.

I will certainly look at them for insurance when renewal is due.

LV are not necessarily the cheapest but their service tends to be very good.