Do you think my Columbus is on the blink? Or needs update

Had the Columbus play up for the 15 mile journey home from the supermarket today - basically wouldn't start any of the functions (including the the drive mode from the vRs button) - the only thing that would work was CD and iPhone music but via cable not Bluetooth - sat nav wouldn't boot at all. In the system info it said 'software updating, please wait' but unless the car updates remotely itself somehow (or from the Paul Simon CD in the player) I think this was a lie!

A couple other things happened this week Bluetooth didnt connect once until I re found the unit on my phone, and I got the 'UK top speed limits' I.e, border crossing notice pop up when I'd just popped out at lunch from work.

The system is now showing following - I know I can update nav database but is there anyway to iodate firmware and found thus solve these issues?...

Device part number: 5E0035020C

Hardware: H43

Software: 0360

Navigation database: V03959800MC0086 ECE 2014/2015

"Gracenote" database: = 10 CRC = 964 / Revision 5989 (build 1) of the eCDDB database[EU][Little Endian].

Media codec: N/A

Edited by Exeterj

0360 is pretty recent, the highest I have seen in an O3 is 0370 at the moment.

Have you any SD cards or USB devices plugged in? Looks like it has seen a file on a card/USB that flags it to go in to software update mode.

If so, remove them all then perform a reset on the Columbus by holding the power/volume control in for 30 seconds until it reboots. Pretty much the same as doing a CTRL+ALT+DEL on a PC

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, didn't know how to reset it so that's handy to know / try - although it's behaving ok today,

I've never put an sd card in either slot yet, and there was no cable or usb connected when it started playing up (I tried the usb after it started nig finding the phone on Bluetooth) Just wondering if the iphone 8 or its latest iOS update has spooked it somehow.

Will be being serviced by skoda (when I get to first service interval) so will ensure thrower firmware upto date also then if it settled down now,

• 3 weeks later...

How long does this update honestly take? It says up to 4 hours and that the engine must be running. They recommend that you update it during a journey but who have a four hour commute? 

As far as I've understood, you can do it in parts and not all at once. So one drive takes you 1/3, the second 2/3 and the third all the way through the update.

I'm not a 100% sure on this though, someone better informed should confirm/deny if they read this.

I've had one time where my Columbus displayed "invalid map database" for the whole journey & refused to activate the navigation functions.

The rest of the functions seem to work but not had a problem like you describe.

All was fine the next time I came to the car.

I can confirm that my unit needed the bluetooth update (according to the Skoda portal) which I performed.

It took about 60 seconds from memory (as apposed to 1hour for the full map update).

Can say I noticed any difference before or after the update though as I don't use bluetooth very often.

It may have been caused by a bug thats sometimes causes problems in the current bluetooth program, if you had been using that.

Theres an update for bluetooth via the official update site.

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Regards,

Thanks Black0ut, just put the VIN in and it needs maps and Bluetooth update. Will do Bluetooth tomorrow as only 1mb but need bigger SD card for 21gb maps.

It's been ok the last few weeks but played up onces or twice on the phone a while back, triggering the whole lock out issue above. Also sometimes the Bluetooth music is a bit jumpy and displays wrong names / albums (from iPhone 6)

• Like 1

Thanks Black0ut, just put the VIN in and it needs maps and Bluetooth update. Will do Bluetooth tomorrow as only 1mb but need bigger SD card for 21gb maps.

It's been ok the last few weeks but played up onces or twice on the phone a while back, triggering the whole lock out issue above. Also sometimes the Bluetooth music is a bit jumpy and displays wrong names / albums (from iPhone 6)

You're welcome Exeterj  :sun:

I hope it sorts your problem mate.