Dead Yeti (Almost) this morning.

crazyj

Went to unlock the yeti this morning. Pressed the usual button...

Nothing. Hmmmm

Pressed all the buttons... Nothing.....

Spare set of keys.... Nothing. Hmmmm

Opened with the mechanical key....Alarm went off.

Silenced alarm... Buttons now working.

Started well... How odd.

But... The clock, odometers (the settable ones) and all the settings were returned to zero/default.

Why did it start so well when everything was dead?

Then remembered a thread where low battery can cause odd happenings. Perhaps it was 'hibernating' as a response to low battery voltage...preserving enough juice to let it start?

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Have swapped the battery but still unsure as if this will have fixed It?

Cheers

J

When my battery started going the first thing I noticed was a "bong" when I opened the door (That caused a few giggles on here)

I then noticed that the boot wouldn't lock properly or open properly.

Others had other "problems".

Certainly when the battery was disconnected most of my "readings" went back to zero.

Thanks Graham,

I've had no preceding oddness or bonging.

The old battery when I took it out was showing a healthy 12.7v. I'll see how this drops in the garage. It was and old unit I think put in by the dealer...it had masking tape with another, older vehicles reg on it.

I'll see if my problem recurs with my fresh battery.

Cheers

John

If I am not immenently going to use the Yeti, I keep it on the C-tek charger.

Its outside on the drive in all weathers nowadays and low temperatures

don't do the battery any good.

• Like 1

Actually my radio and stuff was all fine BUT I did have a not so little panic when the power steering light and TCS light came on..

Luckily after some deep breathing I checked the thread on here... They go out after 20yards (or is that meters).

Voltage on the removed battery is still 12.75. If it is still that after a few days I'll try it under load.

Cheers

J

just had my battery replaced on a Golf Tdi 140 and they did it while the engine was running, no loss of codes.. :thumbup: 

Aaargh... no, no, no!  Most definitely never disconnect a battery when the engine is running, you are likely to do permanent and costly damage to the alternator and possibly the ECU and other computer based equipment as the battery acts as a form of voltage stabiliser.

• Like 2