O3 vRS TDI Combi - My Review of Demo Car and Questions.

There are a couple of options on that that I would have liked if I had been able to spec one myself, but I managed to get the deal as it was one that the dealer had in stock so I either took the one I got, or didn't  :D

Questions –

Bolero v Amundsen – Are the screen sizes the same?  (Are the menus the same as Amundsen just without the Nav element? (and the visual buttons) - Is the bluetooth the same which imports profile pics for contacts etc ?

My understanding is that the Amundsen is exactly the same as the Bolero but with the Navigation added - the pictures you've added would also support that as the menu looks the same as my Bolero.

Does the Bolero accept payback from SD Card or USB – Does the Bolero have the 1 CD unit in glove box with SD slot ?

Yes, and yes.

Standard Audio v Canton – Is the Standard really bad or OK?

I don't find the standard set-up anything to write home about and preferred the sound on my Mk2 Blackline. The sound on the standard set-up can sound very flat (unless I'm streaming Spotify from my phone via Bluetooth). If I could, I would have chosen the Canton as an option.

Are the standard “Cloth” seats, still part leather/faux, with the cloth element just been the base and ¾ back rest ? (I viewed another demo with cloth and they were part cloth and leather)

The cloth seats still have the leather side bolsters. Although a different design altogether, I find that they hold me in place a lot better than the all leather seats in my Blackline did.

Would you go for Panno roof or spend the £1000 on other options?

My own personal choice would be to ditch the panoramic roof and either save some cash, or chose other options - but then I'm 6'3" tall and struggle to fit anything with any kind of sunroof.

My own option list would be:

Black pack

Sunset glass

Winter pack

Canton

Spare wheel

I personally wouldn't go for the built in Sat Nav, but that is only because I don't do the mileage to warrant the cost - if I spent any decent amount of time in the car, or used it for work etc then I would probably spend the money on the Amundsen & the convenience that having a built in unit provides.

EDIT:

I also test drove a 2014 320 d Tounring (amongst others) before deciding on the Mk3 Octy. There is a massive difference in interior space between the two.

• Like 1

Washer fluid is a 5 litre bottle.

Blimey the clutch on the BMW must be heavy!

Bolero, yes, yes, yes

Yes to standard seat cloth/fleather mix

Thanks -

Drove the E60 today and yes the steering and clutch are a lot heavier and has a lower biting point to the vrs, but feels a lot more solid and planted. :x

There are a couple of options on that that I would have liked if I had been able to spec one myself, but I managed to get the deal as it was one that the dealer had in stock so I either took the one I got, or didn't  :D

............ .....

Thank you for your reply, really helpful.

Im also thinking TomTom/Smart phone over SatNav.

I like the "idea" of the panno roof, just not sure if thats an "idea" at this stage.

Thank you

Questions –

Bolero v Amundsen – Are the screen sizes the same?  (Are the menus the same as Amundsen just without the Nav element? (and the visual buttons) - Is the bluetooth the same which imports profile pics for contacts etc ?

Does the Bolero accept payback from SD Card or USB – Does the Bolero have the 1 CD unit in glove box with SD slot ?

Standard Audio v Canton – Is the Standard really bad or OK?

Are the standard “Cloth” seats, still part leather/faux, with the cloth element just been the base and ¾ back rest ? (I viewed another demo with cloth and they were part cloth and leather)

Would you go for Panno roof or spend the £1000 on other options?

Screen sizes, sound and most functionality are the same - just the Nav button extra.

Yes, I believe it is.

Standard stereo is ok, but not as good as it was in the Mk2 - the Canton is a big step up.

Yes, standard seats have fabric centres and leather outers.

I think the roof transforms the car on the estate. Less so on a hatch where it's only a single glass panel

• Like 1

Id keep the car as close to stock if I were you...not worth giving the tax man one more penny than you have to.

If you have to go for options really try to classify them as essentials and nice to haves and only go for things that to you will be essential.

If I were buying another privately id forego the nav and probably get heated seats and washers (screen isnt worth 300 quid), Black Pack (looks better than chrome IMHO), folding mirrors (really only for the dimming though folding is useful as I park mine on street), Canton (as I dislike the standard audios lack of volume on bassy tracks..not its sound quality Ill add) and possibly Bluetooth+ (O2 signal is woeful and signal loss in car is very repetitive, also a cheaper way to get the roof antenna which IMHO looks quite good).

Most of the other options IMHO are overpriced or just gimmicky/not necessary

...probably worth noting as lovely as the pano roof looks it will be merry hell for you if it goes wrong or leaks (as has been known to happen) so id not bother for 900 quid.

Be aware that the Bolero will be replaced in week 22. The new one apparently has no CD slot but a bigger screen. See my thread on the Bolero here if you like.

with regards to the panoramic roof. You either like it or need it or you don't. I took it for the kids. I could have lived happily without it. So my boy owes me a grand...

• Like 4

I was a private buyer so a slightly different agenda but I would say that Canton was an essential upgrade. The standard system is rubbish. For me, the sunroof makes the car as well; but I appreciate that it is an expensive option. I'd still spec it again though given the chance. 

Nice write up.

Out your short list of cars, it would have to be the VRS, although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Insignia if you got a test drive of that (and pictures).

Even the BMW doesn't appeal to me as an SE spec is too basic, maybe M Sport but more ££ and you know I'm a bimmer man too!

PS the tyres have a lot to do with road noise, it's good to do research and change them of it bothers you, not that you should had to on a 26k+ car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

• Like 2

The 'new car smell' is actually the artificial materials continuing to vent off after manufacture.

These are not considered healthy (possibly carcinogenic) so the shorter smell period generally indicates better quality materials used.

There is a US web site somewhere that does a comparative analysis between manufacturers.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

Excellent report RickTT!

I don't have a vRS, and I bought used so I didn't think too much about options, but for what it's worth I have the Amundsen Sat Nav and I can say that:

1) mine does start up with the ignition, it doesn't require a button push

2) the basic functionality of the sat nav is definitely not as good as TomTom, but it's OK and it picks up the traffic reports better than my (rather old now) TomTom.

3) I think the basic stereo without Canton is OK, not nearly as good as my last car, but considering the road noise and screaming kids hi-fidelity seems wasted in the car anyway, so for me it's fine.

So all in all, bang average, no more, but acceptable to me!

I seem to be getting through the screenwash too, the consensus on here seems to be that it's the headlight washers that get through it most.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mines a company car and I worked out that.....

DSG

Panno roof

19inch alloys

Amundsen

Black pack

Mitsumi

Sunset glass

Heated leather seats

....Costs me £29.00 per month extra in tax costs over a standard Combi. I was happy with that to make it the car I wanted and it's a lot better than the 170CR 4X4 Yeti I handed back!

Did you order then Rick?

No... Still trying to decide with the problem of not having to rush into it.

Im liking the look of the new Hatch Superb at the moment but need to wait for the full spec to be released.

Also... tempted with a TDI 150 Passat estate Rline or a Merc C300 sal (diesel) Active Hybird in Sport trim playing the BIK game.

erm...... not sure really what to do in all honesty......

Thanks -

Drove the E60 today and yes the steering and clutch are a lot heavier and has a lower biting point to the vrs, but feels a lot more solid and planted. :x

I found my previous E90 Clutch way too heavy and the gearstick a real mess to cope with, more suitable for a truck rather than for a "sporty" car . HEAVY to say the least, and miles away from the click-click feeling of the octy.

• 1 month later...

Mines arrived Rick, not regretting defecting from the BMW brand

dd673831fb3722553ddf3c29ebe3e7a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

Aldo, hows the car treating you ?

Cant fault it Rick!

It does everything I need it to do. Did a recent trip over to the Emerald Isle and it didn't miss a beat. It's returning 43mpg long term which is calculated using a fuel app on my iPhone which counts the litres and miles I do.

There is a slight noise coming from the passenger seat, as though the seat isn't locked in to its runner, probably just something needs tightening. And the front badge has lost a bit of chrome, both jobs getting done this Thursday under warranty.

Spec wise I'm happy with it, I've a bog standard VRS as I felt it has enough stuff standard. Bought a VCDS cable to tinker and add high beam assist and a few other bits, more adaptability than BMtechnic!

Did you decide what to do yet?