Car Ramps

silver1011

I'm thinking of investing in a pair of ramps instead of messing around with the trolley jack and axel stands using the jacking points and front suspension etc.

They really are priced quite competitively now, even with the extender ramps to reduce the approach angle.

One question though, when up on the ramps will the old engine oil drain out of the engine properly?

I would normally drop the car off the jack / axel stands back onto a flat surface whilst the oil drains out to make sure I get it all.

Obviously once it's up on the ramps it's staying there until there is fresh oil back in and the engine can be restarted.

Will having the car up at an angle prevent me from draining the engine properly? I don't want to leave any old oil in.

Seen these, not bad for £35 delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-COUGAR-CAR-RAMPS-WITH-2-X-LOW-CLEARANCE-EXTENSIONS-FREE-TRACKED-POST-/181644321216?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I'm thinking of investing in a pair of ramps instead of messing around with the trolley jack and axel stands using the jacking points and front suspension etc.

They really are priced quite competitively now, even with the extender ramps to reduce the approach angle.

One question though, when up on the ramps will the old engine oil drain out of the engine properly?

I would normally drop the car off the jack / axel stands back onto a flat surface whilst the oil drains out to make sure I get it all.

Obviously once it's up on the ramps it's staying there until there is fresh oil back in and the engine can be restarted.

Will having the car up at an angle prevent me from draining the engine properly? I don't want to leave any old oil in.

Seen these, not bad for £35 delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-COUGAR-CAR-RAMPS-WITH-2-X-LOW-CLEARANCE-EXTENSIONS-FREE-TRACKED-POST-/181644321216?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Yes it drains fine, I often service vehicles in them however more recently have used by trolley jack as it's quicker with the gear I have than driving on and off etc and I can do other bits whilst it drains
  • Like 1

I wonder if I could access all of the plastic undertray Torx screws and the sump plug on a CR140 (round the back of the engine I believe) if I jack up one side with the trolley jack and slide an axel stand underneath for security?

Edited by silver1011

I used to use 2 pieces of carpet one for each ramp, threaded through the bottom rung and doubled back on itself so I had 1/2 the length underneath and the other 1/2 on top so the wheels drove over them to help prevent the ramps being spit out the front when you drive on to them.

• Like 2

Im not a fan of driving on or off these types of ramp but I'm sure if you jack one side up at a time and slide the ramp under it wouldn't be a problem. Only vehicle i didn't have a problem with when backing off and getting on was my landrover, that probably shouldn't have been on them in the first place haha. 

Whenever you back off the gaps between the supports make the suspension bounce and make the front bumper bottom out against the ramp.

• Like 1

I used to use 2 pieces of carpet one for each ramp, threaded through the bottom rung and doubled back on itself so I had 1/2 the length underneath and the other 1/2 on top so the wheels drove over them to help prevent the ramps being spit out the front when you drive on to them.

In another thread I saw a good idea, tie two short lengths of rope to the bottom rung and lay it out on the approach under the tyres. Once the weight of the car is on the rope the ramps can't move.

Same principle as the carpet I guess, which reminds me, I need some to lay on when under the car!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

This is why I quite like the ones I linked earlier, they have little extender ramps to reduce the approach angle, hopefully making it a little easier to climb up them.

Its the coming down you need to rock the wheels out of the V shaped groove your car slips into so that takes a fair bit of control specially when trying not to get the ramps slipping under the force of you backing up. 

like i said jack up place ramp under would be another option.

• Like 1

A bit leftfield, but I've converted to one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pela-6000-Oil-Pump-Extraction/dp/B002EJ2GUC

and scrabbling around underneath with under trays and sump plugs is a thing of the past on oil changes  :sun:

Gaz

• Like 2

A bit leftfield, but I've converted to one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pela-6000-Oil-Pump-Extraction/dp/B002EJ2GUC

and scrabbling around underneath with under trays and sump plugs is a thing of the past on oil changes :sun:

Gaz

I've always been paranoid with them that it means I'll suck some metal deposits back up through the engine or I'll miss the fact the deposits are stuck to the sump plug which may give an indication of engine he's,th early on
  • Like 1

Same principle as the carpet I guess, which reminds me, I need some to lay on when under the car!

We went into the garden one day a few years ago and we have no idea where it came from, but there was a big black lump of foam similar to that used in those stress relief toys and it was about an inch and a half thick and big enough to go under the front of a car snugly and lie on. Just blew into the garden from somewhere. Anyway it's now a car seat for the dog but still.

Those ramps are only 180mm (7") wide. Are they gonna be enough for the tyres on your car?

That is perhaps why they are so cheap, I'm guessing you want to go as wide as possible if you can...

Hmmm, looks like plan A is back in play, a pair of axel stands!

Once the trolley jack is holding up one side on the sill, where should I locate the axel stand? I'm guessing on the suspension somewhere?