LED BURNED OUT CONTROL UNIT

Can LED bulbs burn the control unit out I have led in the boot and the map reading lights front doors with led strips under the front doors and led fog lights with resistors the car is in with Skoda now it all started when the alarm chrips stopped working ???

I've got a similar issue - I had been running LED sidelight bulbs, both fronts weren't working when I took it for MoT, all other bulbs working fine. I've tried putting normal filament bulbs in, still no joy

No fault codes are showing as far as I can see - car is now sat on the drive until I can get it in to the dealer

I might trawl ebay for a used control module and try that first, will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper

• Like 1

I've got a similar issue - I had been running LED sidelight bulbs, both fronts weren't working when I took it for MoT, all other bulbs working fine. I've tried putting normal filament bulbs in, still no joy

No fault codes are showing as far as I can see - car is now sat on the drive until I can get it in to the dealer

I might trawl ebay for a used control module and try that first, will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper

Your telling me your car failed mot on side light bulbs ?

Your telling me your car failed mot on side light bulbs ?

Because the sidelights didn't illuminate at all, not because they were LEDs - and they still don't illuminate after putting the totally standard headlight units have been put back in

And it also got picked up the lack of washers for the HIDs, so anyone who has done similar, be warned, they do get picked up 

Disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect it. Similar issue on Tig forum whereby LED interior lights stopped working and then the filament bulbs still didn't work (all fuses OK). Battery disconnect fixed the issue.

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/22761-no-interior-lights-after-led-upgrade/?hl=led

• Like 1

Disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect it. Similar issue on Tig forum whereby LED interior lights stopped working and then the filament bulbs still didn't work (all fuses OK). Battery disconnect fixed the issue.

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/22761-no-interior-lights-after-led-upgrade/?hl=led

Thanks, that's today's task then - better dig out my radio code just in case it loses it

Because the sidelights didn't illuminate at all, not because they were LEDs - and they still don't illuminate after putting the totally standard headlight units have been put back in

And it also got picked up the lack of washers for the HIDs, so anyone who has done similar, be warned, they do get picked up 

Did it fail, or was it just an advisory on the washers?

Alarm issue can also be caused by the battery leaking in the alarm module, they usually last about 6 years - then the module or internal battery will need to be replaced.

A VCDS scan would confirm if that is the problem.

Its not the same car, but just to show a precedent, I looked into changing my interior bulbs for LEDs and other people who have tried it on the same Subaru I have said is has caused permanent damage to one of the controllers (KESSY being a common one that fails following LED upgrades) so I am leaving well alone.

That's what Skoda is telling me the control unit does like LED bulbs I've not had any problems with them flicking or not working just the alarm chirps stopped working

Might just be a coincidence that the alarm has stopped chirping, Alarm could have given up at the same time you fitted the LED's...

The alarm still works when last tested it you can turn the chirps on in the maxidot screen but then they go off after a couple of times of unlocking and locking the car I did think the alarm module was playing up but I didn't have the same problems as other people that's why I put it in to Skoda

• 2 weeks later...