Are octavia's good value any more?

Well my mk2 vrs is 2 years old next month and I am starting to get itchy feet for a new car. My car has been faultless to be honest and i don't really need to change cars but i like a nice car and i don't really have any other vices.

Been considering a few cars, really need an estate for my two dogs.

Another diesel vrs estate diesel manual comes in at 26,455 list once metallic pain and leather are added. I know there will be a little discount to be had off this but not much.

Been considering also a new focus st diesel estate which is cheaper even in st3 trim as massive discounts can be had.

Now more surprising, I absolutely love the look of the new mercedes c class estates and in particular the interior.  Been looking at a c200 in sport spec with metallic paint. Car has plenty of spec including nav, led lights and mercs nice fake leather seats. List price is over £30k but have been offered one for £25400 via a merc main dealer. This looks great value against the octavia.

Yes i know its a 2 litre petrol turbo but the quoted combined mpg is 51.4 which is actually slightly better than my diesel vrs!  With petrol being cheaper this should mean even at 40mpg real world it is as cheap to fuel as my octy. Now I am sorely tempted to throw caution to the wind and treat myself to one.

The wife would go mental though (again).

I suppose back to the original question are new octavia's expensive now or are they still good value?

Assuming that this is a cash buy? Is the C class the previous generation? There were some threads from a few months ago where other Octavia potential purchasers were lured to the Merc brand getting big discounts off the old C class. I would get the best p/x for your Mk2 (or sell privately) and beat the Mercedes dealer down to £25k (which is probably what they've factored into letting it go for?) It's a good deal I think as long as you keep the car for quite a few years-looking at the Mercedes used car website, all the sub 18 month old C class estates are automatics, so you might take a big hit come resell time. Having said that, the used 200 Sports prices start off at just under £27k, so as long as this car is going to make you happy for a few years, I say go for it. Good mpg as well! You might get 35-40mpg in real world conditions? :notme:

If the car is a new C class, then I would jump at it if I had the moolah.

Edited by fastestlouigie

Octavia's are no longer bargains. VAG have steadily increased the reputation of the Skoda brand, and have likewise increased the prices.

Merc's and BM's are better built, drive better, and tend to hold higher residuals. A new shape C-Class will be a wiser investment, although options tend to be very costly. You also get proper hard wearing leather within the German cars. The difference in leather quality between my old BM and my VRS is almost laughable.

Saying all that, the Octy is a great car for those who need space, practicality, and cheap running costs (incl servicing).

edit: Oops, missed the duplicate and larger thread.

Edited by Orville

Assuming that this is a cash buy? Is the C class the previous generation? There were some threads from a few months ago where other Octavia potential purchasers were lured to the Merc brand getting big discounts off the old C class. I would get the best p/x for your Mk2 (or sell privately) and beat the Mercedes dealer down to £25k (which is probably what they've factored into letting it go for?) It's a good deal I think as long as you keep the car for quite a few years-looking at the Mercedes used car website, all the sub 18 month old C class estates are automatics, so you might take a big hit come resell time. Having said that, the used 200 Sports prices start off at just under £27k, so as long as this car is going to make you happy for a few years, I say go for it. Good mpg as well! You might get 35-40mpg in real world conditions? :notme:

If the car is a new C class, then I would jump at it if I had the moolah.

Its the new C class.

Just looked on webuyanycar for the skoda and the price given for mine has dropped by a grand in a couple of weeks.

Might have a drive of the merc next time i am passing a dealers, I am in no hurry but i suppose you only live once.

Yep, Merc are offering some very strong deals currently. You should get similar deals on the C220 diesel as well, which has comparable performance to the vRS. Or look at the 204bhp C250 diesel :)

I'd be in the same boat - I've never been a huge Merc fan, but like the new C in estate form and would go for that over an Octy 3. Even after 6 Skodas and 10 years with the brand.

Yep, Merc are offering some very strong deals currently. You should get similar deals on the C220 diesel as well, which has comparable performance to the vRS. Or look at the 204bhp C250 diesel :)

I'd be in the same boat - I've never been a huge Merc fan, but like the new C in estate form and would go for that over an Octy 3. Even after 6 Skodas and 10 years with the brand.

The c220 diesel is 2 grand more expensive to start with, a bit above what i was wanting to pay even with discount. The c200 petrol is quoted as 7.5 secs to 60 so nipper than my current vrs. If only I can convince the mrs ha ha.

I specced up (not massively) a VRS TDi estate and through Carwow got a discounted pcp quote. A C250 bluetec sport estate also though Carwow on pcp was cheaper by about £10pm. No contest, the spec was very similar.

are mercs expensive to service? i have always imagined that the running costs would be a lot more than "normal" cars, eg ford vx vag...am i wrong?