Octavia Scout Lease - A few questions...

Did you get a quote for 5K too for a fair comparison?

only for 10k, i do not want to have a large bill to bay at the end as i suspect we would go over 20k, even so not sure it would be £70 less a month? - I am sure teh different dealers have different deals on as I rang I think simpsons up north and they told me the deal was £1200 deposit and cannot be changed...the dealer I went to wanted half of that as deposit.

• Like 1

I’ve been following the discussions in this thread with a bit of interest as I’m debating defecting from the MK II to the MK III forum.

Leasing wasn’t something I’d really thought about, but with the Scout costing £5777 (1200+{23x199}) over 2 years it’s very tempting.  I am however curious as to why the lease deal is so much better than say PCP.

Looking at the lease deal the implication seems to be that the resale value after 2 years and 20k miles is £19754 (25531-5777).  Taking a random example of Orange Wheels prices the 150 BHP Scout comes in at £22659, so to my mind  if you make 24 payments of £240.71 (£5777) and  the future guaranteed value is more than £16882 (which it should be from lease deal assumption) you have the same deal.  Yet looking at the Skoda site for the PCP deal it’s £199 per month over 36 months and you’ve got to stump up a £7,394.65 deposit, so ~£404 per month.  I realise that there will be room for movement in the PCP deal, but it’s double the monthly cost!

I realise the figures aren’t directly comparable, but before I trek off to the dealers what is my fuddled mind missing?!  Surely it makes no difference to Skoda how they sell the car, so why discourage the PCP?

Its a case of weighing up the option of having a car that you drive, pay for and give back in 2 years or a car that you do the same with but then have the options of part exing (using any equity against a new car), paying the end payment and owning the car outright or giving it back. The ~£5800 that you have put in on the lease is gone as you have AFAIA no option but to hand the car back. PCP wise, yes it is dearer but you have the option of owning the car etc.

With the Lease, as it is a cheaper option at a guess, would the finance company want to recoup as much as possible and try and have the customers proverbial pants down on 'wear and tear' items?

So are you saying doing the pch deal through Skoda dealer they will screw you over for as much as possible at the end of the lease term...thats quite worrying if thats what your saying?

Its a case of weighing up the option of having a car that you drive, pay for and give back in 2 years or a car that you do the same with but then have the options of part exing (using any equity against a new car), paying the end payment and owning the car outright or giving it back. The ~£5800 that you have put in on the lease is gone as you have AFAIA no option but to hand the car back. PCP wise, yes it is dearer but you have the option of owning the car etc.
With the Lease, as it is a cheaper option at a guess, would the finance company want to recoup as much as possible and try and have the customers proverbial pants down on 'wear and tear' items?

So are you saying doing the pch deal through Skoda dealer they will screw you over for as much as possible at the end of the lease term...thats quite worrying if thats what your saying?

I am not saying that and AFAIK it wouldn't be the dealer taking the car back. What I am saying, and this is from what I have seen from other manufacturers is that if either the bottom was to drop out of the market or the car hasn't been looked after too well then surely the finance company will want back as much additional money on top of the final value to cover theirselves. My thoughts entirely but as I have seen a few cases over the years of people being hit by big bills at the end. Some people will say that for the money they save each month it would cover a couple of £££'s, EVERYONE is different and we will all drive cars paid for by the most cost effecient method for us.

I am leasing my new vRS estate through VW finance, arranged by my local Skoda dealer who confirm that the return of the car will be subject to the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear guidance.

I'm sure that the value of any returned PCP car would also be affected by any damage as well - although maybe with a bit more pragmatism if a new car is being purchased with the returned car used as a deposit.

Steve

Indeed I have requested a copy of the terms from the dealer in question and looked through they seem fair to me, i think the problem is that if you do not treat it with respect you will get hit at the end.

I am the sort of person that does actually care about my own car and my possesions in general and regardless if i curbed a wheel i would get it sorted, surely to god the people who get stung are the people who curb wheels, mark doors scuff bumpers and deem that as 'acceptable' part of car ownership - which frankly i do not...maybe i should get a job going the inspections for them as my new job!!.

I am leasing my new vRS estate through VW finance, arranged by my local Skoda dealer who confirm that the return of the car will be subject to the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear guidance.

I'm sure that the value of any returned PCP car would also be affected by any damage as well - although maybe with a bit more pragmatism if a new car is being purchased with the returned car used as a deposit.

Steve

Just to add i am still calling dealers trying to get a deal and still pondering what to do - even looking at second hand 12 plate octavia's and Yeti's if i get a loan the monthly price is still the same roughly and the cars only have a few months warranty left then need mot etc etc...hmmm what to do, what to do!!

Ultramagnetic - sounds like what I was thinking of doing, please post again with the results of your efforts. I generally think the scout is still the best value for money but it's hard to see past a vrs!

I'm a bit bewildered by the PCP deal for the vrs with a £500 deposit and £270 per month considering the deal on the skoda web site which is £7k down and £255 per month and £9600 GFV or did I misinterpret what you we're saying?

Called another dealer today more local and they were not to helpful to be honest girl i spoke with took my quote from the other dealers and she could only offer pch on a stock scout they had which had quite a few extras so quite a lot more expensive, and to be honest could not wait to get off the phone.

From the conversation I had with the other dealer I had been speaking to that they do not make much when they do pch deals and after asking quite a few questions today they have started to get a bit more pushy...which i can understand they just want me to take something and feck off i get it, but to me this is a huge and for me an expensive choice.

Today reminded me why I hate dealing with car dealerships and have stuck to the second hand market in the past.

Ultramagnetic - sounds like what I was thinking of doing, please post again with the results of your efforts. I generally think the scout is still the best value for money but it's hard to see past a vrs!

• Like 1

OP try lings cars for leasing. Some good deals on there.

Yes the website and she is bonkers, but very good to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

Her scout deals are more expensive than the dealer I have been in contact with and that website.....wow its dreadful!! looked at it the site last year and wow just mind boggling!

OP try lings cars for leasing. Some good deals on there.

Yes the website and she is bonkers, but very good to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

I leased my race blue vrs dsg on a 3 yr pch through belfast skoda dealer Mervyn Stewart and it beat any of the big online lease companies such as nationwide vehicle contracts or lings cars late last December. £875 deposit and £291 per month on. 10 K a year contract. Excess mileage 7.2p in vat. Tax obviously included but a nice surprise was Skoda include gap insurance too. A fantastic deal in my eyes. I don't see these deals on skoda main website they just seem to be on selected dealers mini sites for some reason.

I've just ordered a vrs estate tdi on a lease, £1400 deposit and 47 months at £242 for 10k a year 7.2p a mile if I go over. I chose 4 years due to the fact it will offset the deposit more than going over 3 years.

My deal is £1000 initial payment and then £330 per month for 35 months for 20k miles per year. Black, vRS Estate with black pack, tints, spare wheel and apple connection.

Again, 7.2p per excess mile. 

the car will be at the dealers in a fortnight but I can't give back my co. car till the end of April so I'll take delivery then! It was a much quicker delivery than me or the dealer expected!

Steve

My deal is £1000 initial payment and then £330 per month for 35 months for 20k miles per year. Black, vRS Estate with black pack, tints, spare wheel and apple connection.

Again, 7.2p per excess mile.

the car will be at the dealers in a fortnight but I can't give back my co. car till the end of April so I'll take delivery then! It was a much quicker delivery than me or the dealer expected!

Steve

Fantastic deal for 20 K a year and good delivery time. I ordered mine on Dec 17th and had it on Jan 16th. I only added spare wheel to standard spec so it was sourced in the network. I just hope in 3 yrs time Skoda remembers to offer us all similar enticing pch deals again to take another car [emoji1]

• 10 months later...

So 12 months on and the Scout lease (PCH) deals have crept up.

1) Blue Chilli Cars was 9+23 @ £160 / month (10,000 miles) so basically £213 per month.

2) Ling Cars is 3+35 @ £244 / month (10,000 miles) which equates to £258 per month.

3) Simpsons Skoda are £149 / month (only 8,000 miles) with a £2090 deposit, over the same term that’s £229 per month.

4) Contract Leasing & Hire are £186 / month (10,000 miles) with £1,117 down which is £225 per month.

5) Freedom Vehicle Contracts are £1,501 down and £166.79 per month (10,000 miles) so £222 per month.

None of which are anywhere as good as the OP's deal @ £189 per month (£1,200 down, 23x £145 = £189 / month).

Edited by silver1011