Tyres - Premature Wear?

That's about the recommended pressure on a Golf R with 19s. Essentially the same chassis.

Yea the 19s on the octy also have similar recommended pressure. I had to read it three times to be sure the first time I topped them up as it seemed so high!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if I set mine to 3 bar my teeth would fall out with these Dunlop's and my pre-production damper settings, so I'm running as low a pressure as poss to soften things up a bit!

Fixadent works just fine for my teeth.

I am thinking of fitting 215/50/17 summer tyres on my 2014  1.6 tdi estate 4x4 mark 3 Octavia.

Will they fit without problems?

225 45 17 are too harsh when going through potholes..

I just avoid potholes, they don't do your tyres any good.

I know what you mean Matt!  I ran 35 psi from collection last June, a couple of psi less than set by the dealer, to see if it softened the ride.  By November time, with the colder weather, they dropped to and 31 ish.  tbh I don't notice much difference in ride now I'm trying 38 psi, but I do get better mpg then when they were at 31 ish.

So far my tyres aren't wearing badly, fronts are wearing a little on the shoulders as I'd expect, but nothing major.

BTW 38 psi =2.6 bar says Google.

My fuel economy would obviously be crap if I didn't run high pressures then. 

42psi??!! Crackers.

Diffferent strokes Neil, works for me.

That's about the recommended pressure on a Golf R with 19s.  Essentially the same chassis.

Less sidewall flex at higher pressures builds confidence through the corners. 

Everybody is different, what works for me ain't gonna work for everyone as everyone drives differently, a little firmer ride but, not as bad a mates S line and their wearing ok so, I'm reasonable happy but I do appreciate everyones opinions.

• Like 1

Just my 2p worth.

My car came with Bridgestone Potenza S001 fitted, at the first service at 9100 miles they had 5mm tread left. Assuming they started with 8mm tread, I reckon that's about 18,000 miles on them.

I run my tyres at 36psi and they wear evenly across the width.

The pressures are always higher the lower the profile, you don't have a huge amount of sidewall on 19s so they have to be pretty high or you would be running on the rims!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is that running 42psi (regardless of the sidewall height) isn't unprecedented in that chassis.   I used to run 40psi all the time when I was on 205/55r16  - it helped mask the flexi-sidewalls.

Ok chaps, been a few days since I replied to this thread but initially Skoda CS contacted me took all my details and asked what my problem was etc so I detailed that I felt the tyre wear was excessive and to be thinking about new front tyres after 7.5k was somewhat silly, I also detailed the issue I had with the sat nav not being updated as requested at the time of service.

A few days later they came back and have stated that the tyre wear is normal, and that my inflations etc were all correct and that they will not replace the tyres etc as they feel that mileage is appropriate for the car, they did however, give a goodwill gesture to discount replacement tyres, they will reduce the cost from £146 to £106, to which I replied I can go on any of the main tyre centres website and get top branded tyres at a similar or lesser price, he couldnt reply, he basically said thats it, thats all they will do and I have to accept the poor mileage on the tyres, its characteristics of the car and they feel the car is not under performing at all in regard to the tyres.

I then asked why my sat nav was not updated and the reply was well when you bought the car the sat nav would of been out of date anyway, so if you want updates then you have to pay for them, at that point I lost all interest in the conversation, as not only was I being treated as though I was stupid by them doing me a favour by discounting tyres to more expensive than they can be bought pretty much everywhere, but then they tell me I have to pay for sat nav updates, hang on a second, I recall that my car came with 3 years worth of free updates for the sat nav.

I lost all interest, and ended the call, I am annoyed at people treating me as though I am stupid, they are trying to make out I am doing them a favour by accepting the goodwill gesture, like I am going to pay more for tyres than I should do because they say they are doing me a favour?

Overall, I have been loyal to Skoda, plus the VAG group of companies and my local dealer, I have always spoken very highly of Skoda etc but I am afraid that this time they have not done themselves proud, and in all honesty people say vote with your feet and go elsewhere and I really do feel that way, so maybe next time I might buy another brand, who knows!

It may sound daft over something which is considered a 'wear and tear' which I accept, but, for a wear and tear item to get to this stage so soon is madness!  

Then to top it all off I returned to my car yesterday and noticed someone has hit it and caused damage to the far bumper, scratches, small dents and broken paint, smart repair will be unto £200 I expect?!?!?! 

So overall feeling pretty annoyed at cars at the moment!!!

You have my sympathies, it is never just one thing with cars.

Since you will have to get new tyres soon it would pay to get an alignment as well. as 7500 miles is ridiculous for a conservatively driven car even if it is powerful.

You would expect the front tyres bearing the brunt of acceleration, braking and cornering to wear at least twice as fast as the rear.

Having said that I have seen complaints from Mk3 owners about the fact that the 'cr@p'  OEM tyres were still legal after 60k km (Australian forum I think) and they could not wait to change them for something with better wet weather performance.

Even allowing for tyre rotation I thought that was amazing.

You have my sympathies, it is never just one thing with cars.

Since you will have to get new tyres soon it would pay to get an alignment as well. as 7500 miles is ridiculous for a conservatively driven car even if it is powerful.

You would expect the front tyres bearing the brunt of acceleration, braking and cornering to wear at least twice as fast as the rear.

Having said that I have seen complaints from Mk3 owners about the fact that the 'cr@p'  OEM tyres were still legal after 60k km (Australian forum I think) and they could not wait to change them for something with better wet weather performance.

Even allowing for tyre rotation I thought that was amazing.

What alignment issue can cause heavy wear in just the centre of the tyre though?

Its a case of them being overinflated surely. The OP states that the centres were down to 2mm an the outers at 4mm but even on the rear. Therefore if they weren't overfilled at the front they'd be at 4mm across the width of the tyre still so giving at least 10k miles with the same usage?

What alignment issue can cause heavy wear in just the centre of the tyre though?

Its a case of them being overinflated surely. The OP states that the centres were down to 2mm an the outers at 4mm but even on the rear. Therefore if they weren't overfilled at the front they'd be at 4mm across the width of the tyre still so giving at least 10k miles with the same usage?

I agree. I normally wear my tyres down pretty evenly although a little more at the edges due to lots of roundabout navigation in Milton Keynes. The fronts would be on the legal limit around 10k. Surely the only way to burn the middle of the tread out is over inflation?

As for the satnav its free to update off the net... I'm not really sure what the problem here is, its not really hard.

• Like 2

I agree. I normally wear my tyres down pretty evenly although a little more at the edges due to lots of roundabout navigation in Milton Keynes. The fronts would be on the legal limit around 10k. Surely the only way to burn the middle of the tread out is over inflation?

As for the satnav its free to update off the net... I'm not really sure what the problem here is, its not really hard.

+1 for all of that. :)

Its a case of them being overinflated surely. The OP states that the centres were down to 2mm an the outers at 4mm but even on the rear. Therefore if they weren't overfilled at the front they'd be at 4mm across the width of the tyre still so giving at least 10k miles with the same usage?

You are right but even over-inflated tyres should get better mileage than he got.

How about the combination of over-inflation AND mis-alignment? The over-inflation could disguise the normal wear characteristics?

You are right but even over-inflated tyres should get better mileage than he got.

How about the combination of over-inflation AND mis-alignment? The over-inflation could disguise the normal wear characteristics?

This sounds plausible depending on how far out the geometry was

The simplest action now is to get a proper alignment check.  If that shows a problem, correct it, and decide if you want to take it up with Skoda again. However proving any misalignment was there from the start, and not caused by a pot hole or curb etc, would be difficult I suspect.

Well being honest it seems a bit of a stale mate, as far as Skoda are concerned they feel the tyres and the car are operating correctly and as it should, they feel just over 7k is acceptable for a set of 'branded' tyres on a car of this type, personally I feel its not, but, like has been said, if its a geometry fault etc proving it was there from the start is all but impossible, so this is something that unfortunately is probably only going to be resolved with getting new tyres and having the geometry etc all set up 'properly' by the local 4 wheel alignment place and that will be that.

I feel that I have checked and adjusted tyre pressures to what Skoda say it should be for the minimal loading as that is generally all the car carries, 50-60% of the time its just myself in the car, the rest of the time my wife is sometimes in the car with me and/or my 10 year old daughter as well, plus the weekly shop.

What I feel aggrieved about at the moment is the 'goodwill' gesture, yes I am pleased they have decided to discount some new tyres for me for the car, but, to 'discount' them to a price that is more expensive than you can easily obtain them for after a 5 minute search on the internet as far as I am concerned is an insult to my intelligence, I suppose some people may roll over and have there tummy tickled and think they have got a good deal in a case like this but me, I feel they are treating me as though I am daft.

As for the sat nav update, yes you are quite right, I could do that quite easily over the internet, however, I was also informed at the time of purchasing the car that the car came with 3 years worth of map updates and I could have these done as part of my annual service, I requested it was done, they simply did not do it, so therefore the work that was requested was not carried out to my satisfaction!  Its not a case of whether something is easy or not, is a case of what was requested, and also to use Skoda's customer service person, map updates are not free, I have to pay for them....... so therefore how can I update them myself for free if I have to pay for them (I know they are a free download of the net).

I have also had conversations with my local dealer and am awaiting for them to come back to me to see if my loyalty to the brands that they sell that I have been loyal to for around 10 years now, for 3 new cars for myself, plus 4 new cars for my wife, plus all the servicing and repair work, plus all the accessories I have bought over the years, plus the recommendations I have made about them mean anything or not, if it doesnt then I will vote with my feet.

What I see as a sensible resolution to this is a pair of new front tyres on the car at my expense, but, at a discounted 'cost' price, plus a full 4 wheel alignment again at the price it costs the garage to be done by the local tyre place that does 4 wheel alignment, so the car is fully set up properly for the new tyres when they go on, so this type of unreasonable wear does not happen in the future.

Personally, for me buying a brand new car is about two things, having a new car as I enjoy having a new car and having reasonable predictable running costs, I want to be able to pay my finance, have the servicing built in to my finance (be it by a free or priced service contract), know that I don't have to worry about any repair costs, know that I don't have to pay for brakes, exhausts etc as I do mileage that means I should not have to encounter those issues, and as for tyres, I know I would need to factor those in but I feel the replacement cost for those has come far too early, in a car that will go back with approx 20-24K miles on it I expect to replace the tyres once, not possibly 3 or 4 times, and these aren't cheap ditch finders, these are so called 'branded quality tyres' that you can go online and look at articles about why you should buy branded tyres opposed to budget and whats one of the selling points 'longevity' longer lasting tyres!!!

Overall, I am not expecting something for nothing, I am just looking for Skoda and/or the dealer to accept that the tyres on my car have probably lasted not as long as what they should of done and accept that and adjust the price of replacement tyres accordingly and assist in making sure the geometry etc on the car is set up so as providing the car is driven in the proper manner, with proper maintainance, and barring any obvious issues to knock tyre alignment etc out then they would last longer than what this set have.

Maybe I am seeking the unachievable, but I just generally feel totally let down by the whole Skoda/dealer/new car experience.

Just for some sort of comparison, and I accept its a different car with different weight distribution, engine weights, set up etc, but my wife has a 13 plate VW Beetle, with 7k miles on it, which from the factory has had Hankook tyres on it and the tread on those has hardly worn at all, there is a good 6mm left on them, and thats driven by my wife who uses kerb etc as parking assistants etc!

Coincidentally have just seen another post on the Australian forum with a vRS owner (probably petrol and mk2 though) lauding his Michelin PE2 OEM tyres which are still wearing well after 65k km (40k+ miles).

I have seen newish tyres wear out in less than 5k with gross misalignment but admittedly the wear was uneven.

I believe James when he says he drives with reasonable care so unless the tyres have been manufactured with a faulty compound formulation or something wrong with the current vehicle set up then I have run out of suggestions.

Maybe support a different soccer team?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Skoda's response is about what I'd expect from any dealership / manufacturer.

The only other avenue you might try is direct to Continental Technical boffins.  There's a slight possibility that your tyres might not be with specification.  I do know of several folk that have had tyres replaced for free (or close enough) because when inspected it was found that the rubber compound wasn't right.

When I worked for Goodyear a million years ago I even bought some NCTs that were out of spec.  I got them for 90% discount and they only lasted 5,000km but they stuck like poo on your shoe.

You'll probably have to fit new tyres while they mull over the issue - get some PS3s or F1A2s - both good tyres.  Fit them on the rear & put the rears to front.  Keep repeating the process.  I'd recomend X-rotation every 5,000km but I get the feeling that might be a fruitless exercise on the MK3.

If you can afford it, buy a decent tyre gauge.  The ultimate is something like a Longacre Model 50354 Digital (or whatever the current equivalent is)  but you can get by with Jamec-Pem dial gauge or even a reaonable pencil gauge.  Sure use the digital machines at the local fuel station but use your personal gauge to sanity check what the abused fuel station machine is saying.

Good luck with it.  I can understand your frustration.

Ok chaps, been a few days since I replied to this thread but initially Skoda CS contacted me took all my details and asked what my problem was etc so I detailed that I felt the tyre wear was excessive and to be thinking about new front tyres after 7.5k was somewhat silly, I also detailed the issue I had with the sat nav not being updated as requested at the time of service.

A few days later they came back and have stated that the tyre wear is normal, and that my inflations etc were all correct and that they will not replace the tyres etc as they feel that mileage is appropriate for the car, they did however, give a goodwill gesture to discount replacement tyres, they will reduce the cost from £146 to £106, to which I replied I can go on any of the main tyre centres website and get top branded tyres at a similar or lesser price, he couldnt reply, he basically said thats it, thats all they will do and I have to accept the poor mileage on the tyres, its characteristics of the car and they feel the car is not under performing at all in regard to the tyres.

I then asked why my sat nav was not updated and the reply was well when you bought the car the sat nav would of been out of date anyway, so if you want updates then you have to pay for them, at that point I lost all interest in the conversation, as not only was I being treated as though I was stupid by them doing me a favour by discounting tyres to more expensive than they can be bought pretty much everywhere, but then they tell me I have to pay for sat nav updates, hang on a second, I recall that my car came with 3 years worth of free updates for the sat nav.

I lost all interest, and ended the call, I am annoyed at people treating me as though I am stupid, they are trying to make out I am doing them a favour by accepting the goodwill gesture, like I am going to pay more for tyres than I should do because they say they are doing me a favour?

Overall, I have been loyal to Skoda, plus the VAG group of companies and my local dealer, I have always spoken very highly of Skoda etc but I am afraid that this time they have not done themselves proud, and in all honesty people say vote with your feet and go elsewhere and I really do feel that way, so maybe next time I might buy another brand, who knows!

It may sound daft over something which is considered a 'wear and tear' which I accept, but, for a wear and tear item to get to this stage so soon is madness!

Then to top it all off I returned to my car yesterday and noticed someone has hit it and caused damage to the far bumper, scratches, small dents and broken paint, smart repair will be unto £200 I expect?!?!?!

So overall feeling pretty annoyed at cars at the moment!!!

7.5k isnt great granted but then its a 184ps car throwing 280lb/ft torque through the front wheels, and being diesel is quite nose heavy. No disrespect either part of the wear is probably as a result of you having enjoyed the car.

I only got 8-9k if memory serves me right out of the conti sport contact 2's I had on my Blackline 170CR...they still had some tread left but not enough to ensure safety for the time of year. I wasnt impressed but didnt feel I had much of a case to complain about it.

The sat nav thing....you get 3 years of free updates but you have to do them yourself Im afraid, some dealers may do it but it is technically a self service thing so whilst Skoda gave you the wrong response (in that they were talking about the older gen systems where you physically had to buy an update SD card as a part dor circa £200) the dealer was being fair enough to say they couldnt (or wouldnt) do it really.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, here we are a couple of months further down the line.

Skoda rang me and asked me if I was going to take the 'gesture of goodwill' of discounted tyres, that were still more expensive than you could buy at any high street tyre shop, so I explained that I wouldn't as I wasn't prepared to pay over the top for no reason, so they said they were going to close the case, so I asked them that I was surprised that as a repeat customer with both Skoda and my local dealer that they were treating me in such a way that left me feeling let down with the car, the reply I received from them was them saying that perhaps I should vote with my feet and wallet and go elsewhere next time, that doesnt sound like the highly praised Skoda Customer Services we read about in the press all the time!  So, thats what I will do, I won't be returning to Skoda or VW at my local dealer, Skoda I won't buy again, and brands from with the VAG group will be considered but not at my local dealer, overall feel let down over the whole thing!

Anyway, back to the tyres, I decided to nurse them through and get as much as I could out of them, so eventually earlier this week I had to replace them they had got to 9800 miles and they were really bad by that point, so after reading the reports on here and looking at overall price and the new wet, economy and wear ratings I went with the Goodyear Asymetrics, had them put on the rear of the car, the sport contact 2's from the back moved to the front, the tracking checked, and then drove the car straight to local garage and set up all the tyre pressures as per the sticker inside the fuel cap, and now I have my car 'back' its quiet, feels slightly more responsive, is holding well on the road, and even at this point there is a noticeable difference showing on the MPG computer in the car, more economical, so overall really pleased at this early stage with my replacement tyres so hopefully, thats the end of it now and I can forget about, enjoy the car! :-)

I just feel a bit annoyed at the attitude of Skoda CS, also, my local dealer which I have faithfully used and recommended for around 10 years or so, they have not backed me up on this at any point nor have they shown any sympathy for my issue, nor has anyone from my dealer contacted me to discuss it to see if anything could of been resolved amicably, yet the service and the sales department were aware of the problems I had been having, anyway, my wife car is due for renewal early next year, lets see if they ring me to discuss the change then, I suppose they will be able to use a phone then as they think they will be getting a sale from a regular 'repeat' customer, got news for them!!!!!

10k out of the fronts is still pants. I'm on 47k now, rotated front to back at 38k and still got over 4mm on the front, 3mm on the back. OK, mines a 150CR and I do over 2k per month so quite a lot of motorway mileage, but I can't believe how much mileage mine is getting from the factory fitted tyres! They are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT, 225x40x18 on Golus rims so same size as standard vRS rims. They are not very grippy, seem quite hard on the side walls and hence I'm not going to buy them when they do wear out as I want a softer compound for improved comfort but if your main requirement is mileage, they got to be top of your tyre shopping list!

Well, here we are a couple of months further down the line.

Skoda rang me and asked me if I was going to take the 'gesture of goodwill' of discounted tyres, that were still more expensive than you could buy at any high street tyre shop, so I explained that I wouldn't as I wasn't prepared to pay over the top for no reason, so they said they were going to close the case, so I asked them that I was surprised that as a repeat customer with both Skoda and my local dealer that they were treating me in such a way that left me feeling let down with the car, the reply I received from them was them saying that perhaps I should vote with my feet and wallet and go elsewhere next time, that doesnt sound like the highly praised Skoda Customer Services we read about in the press all the time! So, thats what I will do, I won't be returning to Skoda or VW at my local dealer, Skoda I won't buy again, and brands from with the VAG group will be considered but not at my local dealer, overall feel let down over the whole thing!

Anyway, back to the tyres, I decided to nurse them through and get as much as I could out of them, so eventually earlier this week I had to replace them they had got to 9800 miles and they were really bad by that point, so after reading the reports on here and looking at overall price and the new wet, economy and wear ratings I went with the Goodyear Asymetrics, had them put on the rear of the car, the sport contact 2's from the back moved to the front, the tracking checked, and then drove the car straight to local garage and set up all the tyre pressures as per the sticker inside the fuel cap, and now I have my car 'back' its quiet, feels slightly more responsive, is holding well on the road, and even at this point there is a noticeable difference showing on the MPG computer in the car, more economical, so overall really pleased at this early stage with my replacement tyres so hopefully, thats the end of it now and I can forget about, enjoy the car! :-)

I just feel a bit annoyed at the attitude of Skoda CS, also, my local dealer which I have faithfully used and recommended for around 10 years or so, they have not backed me up on this at any point nor have they shown any sympathy for my issue, nor has anyone from my dealer contacted me to discuss it to see if anything could of been resolved amicably, yet the service and the sales department were aware of the problems I had been having, anyway, my wife car is due for renewal early next year, lets see if they ring me to discuss the change then, I suppose they will be able to use a phone then as they think they will be getting a sale from a regular 'repeat' customer, got news for them!!!!!

You ran the tyres at too high a pressure and expect someone else to pay for new tyres?

The same with the Sat nav update, it is freely available to download updated maps. The dealer is under no obligation to perform this for free. If you can't be arsed doing it yourself expect to pay the minimum diagnosis fee at a dealer for them to do it. Last I heard they were a business and the staff expect a salary so that they can eat and have somewhere to live.

• Like 2

You ran the tyres at too high a pressure and expect someone else to pay for new tyres?

The same with the Sat nav update, it is freely available to download updated maps. The dealer is under no obligation to perform this for free. If you can't be arsed doing it yourself expect to pay the minimum diagnosis fee at a dealer for them to do it. Last I heard they were a business and the staff expect a salary so that they can eat and have somewhere to live.

Where did I state I ran the tyres at over the recommended pressure? I didn't, I said I had the tyres fitted and then went straight to the nearest garage with a tyre gauge and adjusted them to the figures recommended, so I know they are right as we all know how many times tyre garages put incorrect tyre pressures in tyres don't we?

And, no I didn't 'expect' the Skoda dealer to update the sat nav for free, it was explained to me at the time of purchase that free updates were part of the upgrade I paid for and they would update the maps at the time of service for me, so no, I didn't expect anything for free, I merely requested that they done something which I had been told they would do for me, I perfectly accept that dealers want and need to make money, but if they didn't want to update it for me, then they should of stated that at the time of purchase.

So andyvee I suggest you get of your high horse and stop spouting such crap at me, I have been a member on here for a good few years and like to think I have given and received some good advice, and have contributed to what is a very well managed and good quality forum, unfortunately, attitudes like yours are the ones that can and do give forums bad names.

I think in the future I won't bother with contributing or requesting advice as I can't be arsed to get responses like that when you don't have the facts, if you want the facts, then by all means ask away I will give you the facts and then make your sweeping statements.

Where did I state I ran the tyres at over the recommended pressure? I didn't, I said I had the tyres fitted and then went straight to the nearest garage with a tyre gauge and adjusted them to the figures recommended, so I know they are right as we all know how many times tyre garages put incorrect tyre pressures in tyres don't we?

You're referring to your replacement tyres though, andyvee is referring to your original tyres, which wore in a pattern which almost only comes about from over inflation.

Sorry you are upset but.

1. A tyre is a consumable. You got wear within the usual range albeit short life.

2. The wear pattern suggests an error which accelerated the wear rate

3. We'd love to suggest another cause, but nobody has thought of one.

• Like 3

I have to admit if I had abnormal tyre wear, one of the first things I would do is head for a full 4 wheel alignment check - Hunter TD one if possible. The guys that do that for a living with this calibre of kit are normally good at picking up things. If they do the Hunter check by the book they will go over pressures etc with some proper calibrated kit and have a good look at the way and direction the tyre is worn. Done it a couple of times with an odd-driving machine. Was this car ever full 4-wheel alignment checked out of interest?

I will say that in my experience alignment problems don't tend to manifest themselves as centre wear, it tends to be inside/outside cross scrub etc.

The only other thing I could think of that would cause centre wear is squeezing a large tyre on a small rim (used to have the opposite problem back in the day when we couldn't afford the tyres for the big wheels and used to stretch smaller ones to fit .It would wear the edges and we would put 40psi in them to flatten them out!!)

They do put 225s on a couple of different width rims, I can't honestly see that applies here but I thought I'd put that one out there  :D

For what its worth I don't take much notice of what they say it should have as a pressure, tend to adjust it on how it is feeling and wearing, have caught tyres wearing in the centre on occasion and just let a bit out. Cant tell you what the pressure was, just know it was 2-3psi less than when I started seemed to cure things

Some tyres just don't agree with some cars, had a long problem with bridgestones saw-toothing on one machine, ended up being a problem on both sides. Factory changed alignment on newer cars - no saw-toothing. Bridgestone changed the compound - no saw toothing

Not a lot of thought goes into the tyre choice on these cars from new, and TBH I don't see why it should matter - sometimes there is just a bad combination 

• Like 1