Skoda fabia engine cover

I had a fuel pump return leak at one time and ran for a  few weeks with cover off(after replacing pipe to check for no more leaks). Oil cap screwed to engine. could be different on the 1.4TDI engine though.

Edited by VWD

I had a fuel pump return leak at one time and ran for a  few weeks with cover off(after replacing pipe to check for no more leaks). Oil cap screwed to engine. could be different on the 1.4TDI engine though.

It's completely different. The normal oil cap on the petrol 1.4 MPI  will not fit directly onto the engine as it is only designed to seal against the plastic engine cover and is a totally different fitting. The engine cover has a second seal to seal against the engine filler hole. However, the spare oil cap which is usually clipped under the plastic engine cover will fit directly onto the engine filler hole (as in the pic of my engine above).

Just ordered that oil cap TMB thanks of the help :-)

No worries :)

The new cap should already have the seal on it (I think!). If it doesn't, the seal on the engine cover is exactly the same and will fit the new cap! The seal is part number 047103487 if you need a new one.

Not in my case, I had to place a second order for the seal and wait one more week to have it delivered.  :rain:

Seems really silly that a new cap comes with no seal :S

Oh well, like I say, if he carefully takes the one off his engine cover it is exactly the same seal. He could use that and buy a new one later if he wants one.

Yea, you might be right. The dark side in my case is that I'm still waiting for that seal. The second bad part (and the worse one) is that oil vapours from the engine were (and are still) getting out through that gap between that plastic cover and the engine. They all decided to sit on my cooling hoses coming out of the engine and radiator. I am also planing replace them as well, because they don't look pretty healthy at all (still looking for the part numbers  :clap: ). 

Edited by Alexandru

Yea, you might be right. The dark side in my case is that I'm still waiting for that seal. The second bad part (and the worse one) is that oil vapours from the engine were (and are still) getting out through that gap between that plastic cover and the engine. They all decided to sit on my cooling hoses coming out of the engine and radiator. I am also planing replace them as well, because they don't look pretty healthy at all (still looking for the part numbers  :clap: ). 

Try here for your part numbers http://www.partscats.info/skoda/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=42&set=46&ein=2003&f=225&hauptgr=1234567890

The coolant hoses are in the 'Engine/Clutch' section.

TMB, may I ask you a personal question? I'm really sorry for the offtopic, I couldn't resist. Have you got inspired by your car's VIN code when you chosed your forum name?  :notme:

Edited by Alexandru

TMB, may I ask you a personal question? I'm really sorry for the offtopic, I couldn't resist. Have you got inspired from your VIN code when you chosed your forum name?  :notme:

Yes :D

^ That cap doesn't seem to fit tightly enough. It should have at least a bit of resistance when you push it on but yours just seems really loose.  No idea why though. Are you pushing the cap fully down? Did you put the rubber seal on properly?

I'm also wondering about the condition of your engine and whether there's too much back pressure because it's worn. How many miles has it done?

Yes, yes and yes ... It has the rubber seal on it and I've pushed the cap all the way down. It shows *some* resistance on it's way. Skoda engineers, why haven't you made a screw something? :)

My engine has about 110.000 miles, but I don't think is that worn. It's not missfiring, it's starting anytime, -25 or +40, it has it's faults, O2 sensor error when scanned and a bit thirsty...but it's ok.

I mean it's normal for any engine to spit a bit of oil through the cap hole when hot, the piston rings are not that leak proof. And tbh, my oil level stays put between the marks all the 6000 miles before I replace it. Should I check my gasket ? 

Edited by Alexandru

OK, just been out and tried mine for you. My engine actually tries to suck the cap back down, there is no pressure coming out of the oil filler hole at all, only suction. There is obviously something wrong with your engine or a blocked breather or something.

Thank you ! ... I am really grateful for your video. I will pay a visit to my mechanic to sort this out. 

You are welcome :)

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2015 at 00:30, TMB said:

It's completely different. The normal oil cap on the petrol 1.4 MPI  will not fit directly onto the engine as it is only designed to seal against the plastic engine cover and is a totally different fitting. The engine cover has a second seal to seal against the engine filler hole. However, the spare oil cap which is usually clipped under the plastic engine cover will fit directly onto the engine filler hole (as in the pic of my engine above).

I wanted to get rid of the plastic engine case because it's letting oil out onto the engine and fumes are coming into the cabin. The spare cap underneath the engine cover is not tight enough! It has a rubber o-ring on it but it will surely pop off. I cleaned mine up and put it back together again with the cover back on. Looks like the Felicia cap is the solution.