sticking caliper?

a few days ago I'm on the motorway and suddenly there is a vibration at the wheel. Hmm I think have I got a flat. After a mile it goes. Never reappears until last night.

Driving along at 60 and a much more pronounced shudder. Pull in when I can to find all tyres inflated but a burning smell.

Bugger a sticky caliper I think. Anyway drive off and get back up to 70 and no shudder again.

this is a bit weird. My experience with binding brakes is that they do it all the time not once ever 250 miles.

obviously the easy answer is to jack it up and spin the wheels and see if it sticks.

But anyone had this sporadic binding.

Ive rebuilt calipers dozens of times on the bikes but and braking issue has always been there all the time. Not once every 250 miles as I say.

Ive got intermittent rear brake issues with my drivers side one sticking.. i took a look at the piston when the pads were changed and its pitted in some places, smooth in others hence it coming and going.. id be of a mind to clean the piston with wet and dry, new seals and see how you get on.. there is a youtube video showing how to do it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently had a minor issue with my brakes. Squeaking sound from N/S front brake at low speed and when reversing.

I thought it may have just been a slight sticking brake or a build up of crud.

Took the brake apart yesterday. The pads (as Mike has also had) were jammed in the carrier. I think has caused this wear to the rear of the disc:

IMG_20150526_081922_zpsahnchvdq.jpg

There's a lip in the inside that had worn a big chunk into the pad too that was then contacting with wiring connector inside for the wear sensor.

Nipped up to Euro Car Parts and bought some new Pagid discs and pads for £80.

Gave the callipers a good scrub with a wire brush then smothered them in copper grease.

I'm with you too Mike... I'm gonna not use the jet wash on the wheels any more to avoid blasting the grease out.

I believe these were the original brakes with 46,000 miles on them.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I don't think there's a need to stop using the jet wash, I just strip and regrease the breaks every year as part of premot checks.

True.

It doesn't take long to take the wheels off and then it's two bolts and the pads can be removed.

Plus gives an opportunity to clean the wheels properly.

Mine never got this bad but I also had the pad getting stuck in the carrier. Thankfully it was picked up on my first service at the garage I use. I get the brakes stripped down and cleaned up every service........which with my mileage its about every 4 months!! Keeps it running nice and smooth............whenever the wife drives it I keep hearing the phrase "why won't it slow down!!!??" Whenever she is coasting :clap: