Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 1RF

01752 349850

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW
Dealership name updated.

Originally posted by Devon VRS Man - Tue Dec 21, 2004

Friendly staff and happy for me to have car for as long as i wanted. Were not so good at letting me know how order was tracking. Car handed over looking great but forgot to fit mud flaps and fuel tank was not filled. Service recepion very helpful and looked at litle niggle promptly. Surprised at lack of any follow up after buying new car from them IE letter asking if everything was ok. Good experience, would use again. Nice dealership (so far!!)

Originally posted by Kent-VRS - Thu Jun 9, 2005

Buying the car was perfect, a great experience. Took the car back for a few minor things and they were delt with without a problem. The only problem I have come across so far is the dog guard I bought from them. Turned out not to fit quite as well as it should and they refused to give me money back pointing me in the direction of Skoda UK customer care. They've just had £12000 of me and they won't give me my money back on a dog guard. This has left a sour taste in my mouth. But to be fair I would have to rate them as an OK (but no more) dealer.

• 7 months later...

I very nearly bought a used Fabia VRS off this dealership, and the experiance I got was good. The car was clean, taxed and fueled on my arrival and they have a very pleasent showroom. The Buisness Manager tried really hard to find cheeper car insurance for me (so as I could get the car) but unfortunatly my young age and lack of no claims bonus meant I couldn't.

Oh I just thought, they made me a cup of tea in a bone china cup and teapot. Much better than the plastic cup from a machine you get at Renwicks!

We brought our Fabia vRS from them a couple of years ago. Whenever we go back for a service they try and flog me another car and nearly brought an Octy estate off them a few weeks ago. Ended up buying an Octy vRS estate from mid Cornwall cars instead.

Nik Row at IML certainly tries hard to sell a car. Their test drives are no hassle and you can have the car for half a day no problems. Much better than Vospers who always go with you and give you 20 mins at most!!

• 1 month later...

Wifes Fabia had to go here after electrical problem whilst staying at her parents. Yes they fixed the car as quickly as they could, but the technician ran the nearside from just in front of the centre hinge to the bumper down a caravan hitch:mad: (so both doors, wing, rear bumper damaged) Less than impressed, but they "agree" to cover costs.

Will update when fixed and sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
Wifes Fabia had to go here after electrical problem whilst staying at her parents. Yes they fixed the car as quickly as they could' date=' but the technician ran the nearside from just in front of the centre hinge to the bumper down a caravan hitch:mad: (so both doors, wing, rear bumper damaged) Less than impressed, but they "agree" to cover costs.

Will update when fixed and sorted.[/quote']

Update:

The car has been quoted on by the approved VAG bodyshop as instructed to take to, the price difference between his and the 2 quotes IML had is £1k, and includes a new rear door skin.

It is now in the hands of insurance, and will update further.

• 5 months later...

I can't speak for their sales dept, but AVOID their service department if ever you are in a hurry.

My wipers failed recently in the cold weather (fuse 15 I now know) and I was given little support, 'The earliest we can look at your car will be in 2 hours time, we have MOT's to do and regular customer's cars to service'.

GET REAL! Skoda had a cr*p name for years and they don't need dealers doing this. If you are a long way from home and on a tight schedule you need to get 5 minutes of a technican's time quickly to tell you if what I suspected, was a simple fault.

If the manual was better I might have found fuse 15 (the manual points you to fuse 41) but I didn't and these guys were not going to get me there quickly. I resorted to the AA and they got to the fault within 20 minutes BRILLIANT. Dealers need to realise that an owners warm feeling about a car and marque comes from experience and if I lived in Plymouth I would think long and hard about buying a Skoda if IML were going to be my dealer.

• 1 year later...

The Service department is abysmal, I bought my first new Octavia from them, they broke the windscreen when changing the pollen filter at it's second service and weren't particularly apologetic about it. I think the cheeky blighters thought I was going to claim for it on my insurance, until they were put right.

They are also condescending when dealing with customers, as if they are doing you a favour, no thanks!!

As "punishment" I bought the second new Octavia from another dealer, and take it to an independent for servicing - a firm that has looked after a multitude of our VW's over the last 20 yrs.

Avoid them like the plague!

The outside of the dealership is strewn with caravans and some Korean cars and looks a bit low rent. I'm a little surprised that Skoda UK hasn't made them smarten up their forecourt.

In contrast Irvine of Bridgwater, proved very good at squeezing me in for a service and delivering a spare quickly.

• 6 months later...
They have changed hands!!

Signs being put up today saying "Murray Skoda" same as the dealer in Newton Abbot

All the caravans and Chevrolets etc have gone and loads of people cleaning the place up so looks like Skoda have got the place being smartened up!!

I've been to the Newton Abbot one a few times for bits and bobs (My nearest). Bit odd sitting at a VW parts desk though. :rofl: Never had bad service there but I've only ever ordered bits & bobs.

If Plymouth has become a Murray one too, I wonder how long until SMC Skoda on Marsh Barton also becomes a "Murray"

• 10 months later...

Now called Murray Skoda.

My experience of buying a used car was ok. They were happy to negotiate from the laughable trade-in price they originally gave me, and we struck a good deal.

When it comes to servicing/repairs i was not at all impressed. Took them 3 weeks to fit a synchro bearing in the gearbox. In fact all they did was remove the gearbox, gave it to a transmission company and refitted the gearbox only to find there was now a constant rattle. So out it came again, back to the other company, they said there was noting wrong with it, then Murrays found a broken mounting point was causing the rattle.

Another wait for parts, then finally sorted.

During this time not once did they call me to let me know what was happening, despite saying they would call me every day when i dropped the car off. I had to chase them every step of the way. I complained about the time taken and they fitted a new rear light in way of compensation, as mine was alreay damaged. They also offered a free service, and would send me a letter confirming this and make a note on my file. No letter arrived, but i'll see what they say when my service indicator comes on.

Part of the problem was that the woman on service reception had no idea about cars, and admitted that to me, it wasnt until i picked the car up that i actually spoke to someone technical.

If i get the free service I'll take it, but after that never again.

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the problem was that the woman on service reception had no idea about cars, and admitted that to me, it wasnt until i picked the car up that i actually spoke to someone technical.

I noticed this as well. Called up to get a price on a service for a Fabia Vrs and was asked if it was diesel or petrol :confused:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Average at best.....

Service in August 2009 bit of a let down. Things they said they would do for me for no price (change locking mode) I got charged for....very expensive considering it's a few mouse clicks. They also tried to fob me off that it was difficault work. This was before I had VAG Com myself! [roll eyes]

They could not diagnose a fault I had with the car. No error codes mean no faults - of course. Good investigation chaps!

On paying for the service I suddenly noticed they had NOT changed my car from variable to FIXED service mode. So they had to have the car back to change that. So I don't know what oil went in.....Long life or regular. They never gave me a straight answer.

On the 3 times I asked for part prices they never rang me back.

Generally pretty friendly if you go in or get them on the phone though and they see to you pretty quickly when you appear at the desk.

Always nice to end on a positive note huh :)

• 2 months later...

Took my 53 Octavia VRS for 80k service. Pretty good at slipping me in at short notice and took a list of things I also wanted sorting.

Service went as well as could be expected, and to be fair they did me a good price because I have friends in the north who do this thing cheaper. However everything after that was a little haphazard.

- Asked them if they could put a new batery in my spare key-fob as it wasn't working. They did this but negleted to mention that the unlock button wasn't working anyway. Fortunately once I got them to show me how to open it up I could prise open the surface-mount push button and clean it with a stanley knife and made it work. Otherwise it was going to be 40quid for a new one!

- Recommended I needed the belt changing. 20kmiles ago his self same garage (called IML at the time) fitted the damn thing at 60k, as recommended in the service schedule. Careless.

- 3 and a bit thousand miles later there seems to be precious little oil in the engine. My local puts it on the ramp and discovers the sump plug with only 2 threads still holding it in place. Last people to shift that we Murray. I will have a word.

- Finally, and it's only a small point, but they got the boxes confused on their own checklist about tyre tread depths.

In all, it paints a picture of people who can cope provided nothing unusual happens or they have to do some original thinking. Just competent, but uninspiring.

• 9 months later...

Just bought a 3 year old Scout diesel via this dealership from another Skoda dealer up-country.

A fairly smooth process. Car was in good condition.

Slightly annoyed at the £500 fee added to the car's list price in order to have it delivered etc considering the dealer who was selling it had "Nationwide Delivery" on their advert - but then I have the luxury of knowing it's someone local who is sorting the car out so it's easier for me to get problems addressed.

Mostly annoyed about the fact that I was told the car had a Skoda FSH yet the book, which I foolishly only looked at after driving away, said the first and only service was at 3 years and 26000 miles! I have been able to track down the missing two services via the original dealer and I am getting the book sent off to them to have it stamped but I would have hoped this would have been done by Murray. Perhaps I am being unreasonable but they would have no idea that the car did have a FSH as the dealer they sourced the car from wasn't the one that serviced it.

Anyway, a fair price and a reasonable part ex price for my old car.

Scouts are hard to come by so I guess that's just the market..

I purchased a very nice 04 Octavia with only 20k on the clock for a little shy of 5k. A bargain for my first car. Was sold to me by Steve who has been a star when it comes to sorting stuff out, would highly recommend you see him if you go in there and mention Mr. Hodges put in a good word. ;) .

So no problems with the Sales team and Dean on the finance team, very friendly and relaxed.

The service team however... Failed to spot a fault on the central locking to the point where they had the car for about a month in total, and then I told them where the fault was after searching this site.

Then the wishbone bushes were gone after just 600 miles done in a month. Tried to charge me £280 odd for the work and they didn't even know that I'd bought the car from them! Needless to say I got it covered on warranty.

Whilst they were looking at the wishbones they adjusted the hand break like I had asked. It wasn't till I was nearly home that what they'd done came into effect. A tourist pulled out from one of the holiday parks at which point I had to apply the breaks swiftly but nothing happened. Turns out they'd over tightened the hand break and caused my break fluid to boil. Literally just avoiding a crash after pumping the break to build a little pressure in the breaks.

After apologising lots they got all the work done on the breaks and wishbones in a few days, but then had two trips back to have the hand break adjusted again. I've now been told I have to pull the hand break out the roof to get it to hold.

Am currently waiting for something else to come up on their newton abbot dealer or murray volkswagen as I've lost confidence in the car and also don't feel 100% safe in the car after the break issue.

Shame really as I really love this car and it's only been let down by their service team.

Won't knock they staff on the desk though, Anne and Dan. Very nice people to deal with and seem very down to earth.

I've been offered a free service but certainly won't be taking it at this one, will be going to Newton Abbot instead.

Tempted to give Skoda HQ a little ring though about the quality of service.

Joel.

• 3 months later...

I can only hope that i treat all customers the same and will do anything in my power to help.If you are looking for a car please pop in and i will see what deals are available to you and will try and give a friendly approach and good after care for all of you.Steve baker

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I walked into Murry Skoda by chance because I was looking at buying a VW transporter (who they share the building with) to replace my Renault Traffic but a Blue 08 plate Ocativa VRS caught my eye and as I looked through the drivers side window the car unlocked and out came Steve Baker.

He simply said, "fancy it?",

I said yea, it's alright in a don't be pushy tone and he simply said "it's taxed so take it up the road for a drive".

He took a copy of my driving licence and of I went with my Mrs for a spin.

I liked the car but wasn't 100% convinced it was for me so told Steve I'd have a think about it and he was as cool as a cucumber and not in the slightest bit pushy.

I decided not to have the car but walked into the showroom about two months later looking for Steve and his non pushy attitude and told him I was after a new or all but new Blue Octavia VRS diesel and he had a 10 plate stashed out the back by pure chance :D

Went back two days later when it had been through the workshop, drove it, loved it, bought it!

Steve sorted me out a great deal and did everything I asked for and more before I picked up the car and I'm over the moon with it.

The service I was given and the attitude of the staff so far has been better than any dealer I've been to in a very very long time and not once did Steve make me feel like I was being a pain in the butt even though I was because I'm fussy about my cars and what I want.

Top bloke!

Oh, one negative point I feel I should point out is the valeter needs shooting and I think my 14 year old son would make a better job of cleaning my car and finally, I've read through this thread and see a few people have written bad reports about the service department but I shall report my findings on here good or bad when I've had to use them for any problems I may have in the future.

Murrys get a big fat thumbs up from me. :-D

I contacted them about a new VRS as per a lead from a forum member. Initially they thought they had sourced a stock vehicle for me so a deposit was taken. However, the dealer who agreed to transfer the car to them sold it - not Murray Skoda's fault. They attempted to get me to take a different colour, spec combination but I declined. However they were good enough to give me the telephone number of another dealer who had a car meeting my expectations (Lightcliffe Skoda) which they really didn't have to do which really impressed me. I had to hassle them about returning my deposit as it hadn't shown up on my credit card a week after the deal fell through but we got there in the end. The salesman I dealt with was Earl. He was friendly & very helpful, but struggle to answer you via email as i had to telephone them when I was getting no response.

Overall, I would contact them to see what they can do for me next time I am looking to change :thumbup:

Edited by AlistairS

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought my new Roomster here last December, the deal was reached quickly and efficiently; I drove away very happy. Two weeks ago we decided to drop in to see if there was something for our 21 year old who has finished his degree and teacher training. He has got a job for September, but pennies to spend on some wheels. Rikki Scullion, the salesman we dealt with previously sold us a Citigo at a very attractive price. A 63 plate with less than 4K under its wheels. We picked it up last Friday. As he was talking my wife through the controls, he did comment on the state of the car. It clearly had been washed and was clean inside but wasn't in showroom condition.

What surprised and impressed was that neither myself or my wife mentioned this before the Sales Manager was summoned and agreed with Rikki that the car was not in the condition they expected to present to a customer. Without a word from us we were asked to return the car on Monday for it to be properly prepared. When we arrived the car was waiting. To the eye, it was a new car. Added to this, the interior had a protective cleaning application, and an Autoglym pack was in the boot as an extra.

What really impressed was that all of this was unsolicited and not expected. Everyone makes mistakes (I seriously think the dealership had so many cars to deliver on the day that the guys charged with preparation were rushed off their feet) but not many companies take full responsibility and put things right (and then some!) without the customer even raising an eyebrow.

We were seriously impressed.