fuel filter grossness

Just changed my fuel filter as car was stuttering under acceleration at higher rpm. According to the sh it was done 10k ago. Cannot believe the state of it!octavia now feels like a totally different car, no hesitation at all. I know most of you already know this stuff but thought I'd post for the folk like me to find in the search.

post-128022-0-90480700-1426510645_thumb.jpg

Hmmm?

Black diesel.

I associate that with the old in-line MB diesels, as do HMRC.

Or hooky diesel, which is red diesel with the colourant bleached out.

Leaving a ****ty black cat litter mess.(Having seen it dumped at the Roadside)

But if not right filtered, by the "producer" said ****ty mess could well be ending up in your fuel filter

Edited by dieseldogg

I only just got the car so wasn't me guv honest! Hope the damage was limited to a cheap filter. As I said it feels like different car now. I guess service history counts for nothing hence my extensive service plans. Double flush followed by the proper oil and filters all round. Gonna look at the gearbox oil next and possibly a full clutch and brake fluid change. Hopefully should see the car a chance to do another 160k. Starting to worry about the cambelt now, service history says it was done 22k ago but perhaps I should change it anyway.

Edited by Nikonite

PD engines are well known for blackening their fuel filters. It's due to the blow-by from the cylinders getting past the injector seals and into the fuel system. A certain amount is considered normal on these engines, and unless it's obviously excessive it doesn't indicate a fault.

The 60k filter change interval is ridiculous on these, mine used to blacken it's filter in 10k or less.

I would say you have something seriously wrong along the lines of ingus's reply. Engine oil is contaminating the fuel tank and you may have the start of a bigger problem with the injectors or tandem pump.

Many thousands of PD engines running worldwide with huge trouble free mileages say otherwise. 

Many thousands of PD worldwide  running with problems with injector seals, cold start problems, injector recalls, oil in fuel filter etc... 

Makes perfect sense Mike, I bought a PD based on the fact that the engines are well known to exceed what the average person would class as "normal" miles as long as they are maintained correctly. I have one friend with an A4 and one with a Passat, the Passat has starship miles, well over 300k and the A4 over 120k. Having driven both cars I was amazed at the way they felt and my decision was made. I don't know what people would class as a refined drive, to me refined would indicate "temperamental and high maintenance"

I like the fact that the PD seems mechanical and almost industrial by nature. My two vomiting kids and stinking staffy don't much care about refinement, to me the car is a tool and like any tool if you don't keep up maintenance they break. If the fuel filter needs a 15 minute change at the cost of £13 every 10k I'd say thats a small price to pay for a reliable car.

Seems to me that the filter has done its job !! My last Motor (2006 Seat Altea 1.9 tdi ) had the same blackening, still going strong & sweet as a nut.

Paul

I see only PD engine users opinions... :)
There is no subjective opinion about repair costs for PD/nonPD engines...and what says mechanics, people who deal with diesel engine repairs daily.

Lads, I'm not saying that PD are worst mistake but...

I see only PD engine users opinions... :)

There is no subjective opinion about repair costs for PD/nonPD engines...and what says mechanics, people who deal with diesel engine repairs daily.

Lads, I'm not saying that PD are worst mistake but...

My opinion on the 1.9 PD, and other diesel engines, is based partly on the experience of friends/contacts who work in the motor trade. I currently own a petrol Toyota (!), although my partner has a 1.9 PD130 engine in her Ford/VW Sharalaxy 

Edited by nick74

That is exactly what you did say in post 14 above. 

First of all sorry about that I can't always express my self good enough,as English is one of four languages I speak... mikeholroyd are good enough in German and you always know the right word to express your opinion/thoughts?  :notme:

Many know that Peugeot and Renault are bad car, but despite this they are best sold machines in France. 7th place in UK and 17th in Germany... That is called 'Brand loyalty' and all depends of location on the globe and your personal circle. 

Recently I discussed about PD engines with my ex-tutor , who is an engineer of 'Mechanical engineering' and working on a VW dealer... Don't want to recount the entire conversation, but in a few words;

PD engines are made in the good / heavy metal, but with a very fragile injection system which can not be repaired to a level to meet the technical standards.He see them as a big pile of insoluble problems, which were repeated and repeated ... and better see PD going as coming. Oil always will enter the fuel system and burned oil clogged DPF and EGR much sooner than nonPD engines. So increasing the engine operating costs.

Of course you can cut off DPF/EGR and make ECU mapping (which is illegal)...Did a good engine are needed in some modifications to make it usable? :thumbdown:  Don't think so... :peek:

My own objective point of view I have expressed. To not to feel like 'Black sheep' comments will be read only :angel: 

Have a nice evening and good luck with PD,because you really need  :angel: (a little bit of sarcasm)

Edited by IngusSeflers

OK stop there before you dig a bigger hole for yourself. Firstly the 1.9 PD does NOT have any DPF fitted, so no issues or problems there. Secondly, where on this earth do you get the idea that remapping the ECU is illegal????

What is wrong with you??? :punch:  Do you want me to forget all of what I have learned is school and seen in my work?  :moon:

Firstly! Calm down and keep study harder,buddy! Hundreds of poor 1.9 PD DPF driving around and some of them are still alive and can be purchased. (some link)

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/skoda-octavia-combi-1-9-solo-tdi-pd-dpf-klima-netto-49-lieboch/204220527.html?lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=2&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=22900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=10&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=PD+DPF&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&fuels=DIESEL&minFirstRegistrationDate=2005-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=2008-12-31&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&minCubicCapacity=1800&maxCubicCapacity=2000&noec=1

Secondly!  Not ECU remapping but DPF deleting is forbidden! 

I won't to offend somebody, but most of the forum members talk **** ... based on some other forum read or what says taxi driver friends. How many of you have daily contact with real auto repair, based on technical literature and diagnostics and theories?

Mike,you're not worth my time ...   :D

It is the 2.0 PD170 engine that drags down the PD's well proven track record of above average reliability. Mine being particularly bad.

At the other end of the scale the 1.9 PD105 which is well documented to be a pretty tough unit. I've never owned one but have driven a few.

The 2.0 PD140 has mixed reviews but as an owner I can speak for the 8V SOHC (DPF) version in our Scout, so far it has been very good.

If I had one word of advice for maximising engine life then that would be to change the oil regularly (every 10K / 12 months, whichever is reached first).

Post 26 - quote "Of course you can cut off DPF/EGR and make ECU mapping (which is illegal)"

If most of the forum members talk rubbish (my word, certainly not yours), why be a member? 

Post 26 - quote "Of course you can cut off DPF/EGR and make ECU mapping (which is illegal) now looks better and clearer to your sense?  :clap:

You are right,I'm quit...  ;)

Just changed my fuel filter as car was stuttering under acceleration at higher rpm. According to the sh it was done 10k ago. Cannot believe the state of it!octavia now feels like a totally different car, no hesitation at all. I know most of you already know this stuff but thought I'd post for the folk like me to find in the search.

Can I ask if you had to do anything special to prime the system after replacing the fuel filter?

I want to do mine myself but have heard of issues of introducing air into the system causing issues with fuel starvation when it comes to re-starting the engine.

Did you put the new filter in and then fill up the fuel filter housing with fuel?

I've heard of some people cycling through the ignition a few times so that the fuel pump fills the fuel filter housing itself..?

Roy, they are self bleeding systems. Simply change the filter, and run the engine at idle for a couple of minutes, and all will be fine. I've never needed to top up the filter canister, as it won't be empty anyway. You may find that for a few seconds it runs a little lumpy, but that will clear within a very short time.

..............having said that, I obviously know nothing, so take what I've said with a pinch of salt!

Mike

As Mike said, dead easy and no priming needed. Just put plenty of rags around the filter so you don't spill diesel on any belts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1