gear linkage problems

vzo25

Morning all

Our mechanic fitted a second hand gbox yesterday. But he says it will only select 3rd 4th.no other and not even reverse

He thinks the gear linkage could be knackered as he says when the box was delivered there was rope wrapped round it (could of caused damage)?

He was gona start taking the linkage apart yesterday pm too see what was wrong. He was thinking of swapping the old linkage over if not

But ive just seen vid on youtube regarding taking slack out of linkage for smoother changes

Does anyone think that might be the case for me or how easy it is swap over the parts and how long roughly to do job?

Many thanks for any replys

Thanks guys. The mechanic should know these points. I dont want to upset the guy by asking him to see if these adjustments help.

Im guessing he wouldnt be able to try these adjustments while car was on his ramps. Ie wheels in air and select the gears.

How long a job is this procedure. Im just thinking of labour costs that all

Cheers

My method, about 15 seconds.

Adjustment, give 30 minutes and that's generous, leaving time to find a drill bit to lock the gearstick if he doesn't have the tool, givin extra time to lock the gearbox as it can also be awkward.

• 6 months later...

Great video. thanks for the link. I tried the normal method with the 5mm drill bit etc. This did not work as I could not select 1st and 5th gear. After many tries, I gave up and ended up putting the gearlever into reverse gear having loosened the locking collars on the cables. I then put the selector arms into the reverse position. Next re-locked the locking collars and tried the car. Success.

By putting the gear lever into reverse, locks the gear lever in a position where the selectors can then be correctly positioned.

Great video. thanks for the link. I tried the normal method with the 5mm drill bit etc. This did not work as I could not select 1st and 5th gear. After many tries, I gave up and ended up putting the gearlever into reverse gear having loosened the locking collars on the cables. I then put the selector arms into the reverse position. Next re-locked the locking collars and tried the car. Success.

By putting the gear lever into reverse, locks the gear lever in a position where the selectors can then be correctly positioned.

I would make sure that it is correctly positioned by following my old thread here:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/202072-how-to-adjust-the-gear-stick-to-gear-box-linkage/