How to Adjust the Gear-Stick to Gear-Box Linkage

fabdavrav

This is a work in progress..photos to follow but main procedure is as follows;

You don't need a jig!!!

Find the two adjuster cables (behind and under battery) and feel for the black plastic slide ring against the spring...turn this to unlock and slide (push towards the front of car) it to compress the spring and then turn the ring again to lock spring in compressed state (this frees the cables from this end) Do this to both cables!!

Inside the car, unclip the gearstick gaiter and stick a M5 bolt, drillbit etc (6mm I think) through the ring on the gearstick and into the hole on the gearstick base (this locks the gearstick).

Then find on the front of the gearbox (under front of battery) a small black lever pointing up (12 o'clock). Press down (about 2/3 to 3/4) on the top of the selector mech (on top of gearbox) and then turn (and slightly push in) the small black lever to the right to the 3 o'clock position (do this by feel). This then locks the gear box mech.

Then go back to the black plastic lock rings and unlock them to release the springs!

Then turn the black lever to 12 o'clock position (pointing up)

Then remove the drillbit or bolt from the gearstick lock pos inside the car.

Then move the gear-stick through all the gears and they should be nice and even!

Job done!!! emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Please do not follow exactly the videos posted below.....this is because it is for a Golf gearbox, not a Fabia! The difference is that the black locking pin on the gearbox is turned a different way!

EDIT.............this way could be correct for a vrs 6speed gearbox.............so just be carefull!!!!

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 2

I did this on my Octavia a few days ago and it was pretty easy to do. The only problem I had was getting the lever on the gearbox to move to the right position. I ended up taking the 5mm locking pin (I used a nail too) out and doing the gearbox side first. It didn't seem to make a bit of difference in my case but good luck :)

UTUBE!!!!!

Above poster does not realise that the video is incorrect with the movment of the black locking pin on the gearbox!!! as the gearbox is not from a Fabia....but from a Golf!!! This is why I placed this post in the first place as this is correct for Fabia....I should know!!! having done it to my car several times!!!! :p

THE VIDEO COULD CONFUSE PEOPLE AND COULD LEAD TO DAMAGE OF THE LOCKING PIN!!!!

Edited by fabdavrav

• 2 months later...

could this be a possible solution to my reverse light problem, they stay on even out of reverse gear.

ive narrowed it down to the part that pushes the reverse light switch on. the part inside the gearbox wont move so that it does not depress the switch hense reverse lights stay on.

im thinking that its the reverse gear linkage possibly adjusted incorrectly. the clutch has been recently changed, i did it on the drive with a mate and thinking back we may have accidently adjusted the gear cables.

any ideas that would support that theory or suggest different??

could this be a possible solution to my reverse light problem, they stay on even out of reverse gear.

ive narrowed it down to the part that pushes the reverse light switch on. the part inside the gearbox wont move so that it does not depress the switch hense reverse lights stay on.

im thinking that its the reverse gear linkage possibly adjusted incorrectly. the clutch has been recently changed, i did it on the drive with a mate and thinking back we may have accidently adjusted the gear cables.

any ideas that would support that theory or suggest different??

If clutch has been changed recently this could be the cause....something been disturbed and not refitted correctly....try posting this up in the main MKI Fabia section..better response! B)

If clutch has been changed recently this could be the cause....something been disturbed and not refitted correctly....try posting this up in the main MKI Fabia section..better response! B)

ok cheers hopefully ill get an answer cheers

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'd posted "hydraulic clutch issues" and after seeing this video I feel this could be the main cause for reverse not engaging.

Car in question is a Skoda Fabia (same as VW Golf!?) manual, diesel.

Back to my post, is there a reservoir for the clutch fluid or is the brake reservoir used. Is there a need to be bleed if there has not been any maintenance done to the system, and is there a actual bleed to the clutch system.

Could anyone help,

Cheers,

The clutch release bearing on Fabia uses the brake fluid and resevoir.......and yes there is a brake type bleed nipple for this on the top of the gearbox (in a black plastic housing which stands proud of gearbox)......and yes this does need doing every time the brakes are done! B)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

did mine this evening and all went ok

had to take the battery/tray out to access the locking pin as my hands are too fat lol to fit through the gap, battery is stunningly fiddly to take off lol

the locking pic on mine however was normal at 9 o'Clock and locked at 12 o'clock so not like the OP

anyway once i pressed down on the mechanism it locked in place nicely

how often do you need to do this?

thanks for the guide

• 10 months later...

Awesome. I've given the cable adjustment a go and that improved the general change, but still no first gear; so out with the brake bleeder :)

This is different on the Fabia Vrs, there's a black plug that has to be removed and you have to use a small drill bit (3-4mm) to lock the selector. Everything else is the same though :yes:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just did this to my 03 Silverline. Feels much smoother now!

I have to admit, I followed the video in the car park on my phone, and had a bit of a panic when my gearbox didn't have a 9-Iron sticking out the top, and the locking mechanism was indeed different. After much trial and error I got there, and then came and saw FabDav's warning about it... :dull:

Might make a video myself so people can see exactly what's happening.

Edited by itsdanwatson

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The black locking pin that locks the gearbox doesn't do anything when I turn it from the 12 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position and visa versa