Josh's '88 E30 316 Project

JoshH

• 3 weeks later...

Fully adjustable BC coilovers including top mounts going on this week:

CE667AFC-AD48-4919-B837-A521498104B2_zps

4405DA16-F93C-4419-BBD8-EA27D2DC4D69_zps

They really are top quality bits of kit and I had an amazing price from Nathan at Performance Engineering in Cardiff so get in touch with him if you're after any bits!

Also this week:

3C5927D6-42B8-48BB-B240-B634A297AEE2_zps

72C6398C-CAF3-42F9-96AB-D9065FA75BFD_zps

Full safety devices cage!

Need to make some door cards!

• Like 3

Looking superb Josh, sorry about the seats mate but if you hang on until January my rally car seats are out of date, they are OMP with the head side guards, proper looking seats, will look great in that BMW.

Looking superb Josh, sorry about the seats mate but if you hang on until January my rally car seats are out of date, they are OMP with the head side guards, proper looking seats, will look great in that BMW.

Thanks mate and no problem re. the seats :) keep me in mind on your ones I may still be on the lookout!

The cars been a labour of love, I've done the entire build myself with only one functioning hand bar the heavy work I've asked friends to help out on! I've still got ongoing issues with the wrist I broke last year in work :( so it's been good therapy to keep me occupied and to stop my stressing over potentially not being able to do my job again etc...

I have a Nurburgring trip booked for June but I'm doubtful I'll be able to get behind the wheel in time which sucks!

• Like 2

Josh, looking good mate!!    What did you use for the door cover?  My Pug has gaping holes in the door, would look good covered like your BMW doors

Josh, looking good mate!! What did you use for the door cover? My Pug has gaping holes in the door, would look good covered like your BMW doors

Thankin you! It's a product called foamex it's a foam board sign writers use and is very light, flexible enough to fit the shape of a door and you can cut it with a Stanley! You can use either 3mm or 5mm thick. 3 is better I think but 5mm can be had from Hobbycraft for £7 a sheet!

I ordered mine from cutplastics.co.uk with a size just bigger than I needed to allow me to cut them down to size.

Thankin you! It's a product called foamex it's a foam board sign writers use and is very light, flexible enough to fit the shape of a door and you can cut it with a Stanley! You can use either 3mm or 5mm thick. 3 is better I think but 5mm can be had from Hobbycraft for £7 a sheet!

I ordered mine from cutplastics.co.uk with a size just bigger than I needed to allow me to cut them down to size.

Thanks Josh, I will order some, the doors is one of many jobs the PUG needs, I noticed today when I was making the seat fit where it needs to be that the bolt that goes through the top of the brake and clutch pedal was loose, so much so the nut only had two threads holding!   Tightened that up and noticed the wiring behind the dash is like a birds nest, my list is getting longer and longer..

I am sure your list is now down to finishing touches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How have I never been in this part of the forum before?! This is the absolute ****! :D  Awesome.  I thought you were going to stop with giving it a good old clean haha... Got a little out of hand!

• Like 1

Awesome. I was surprised to see the small case in your photo, and then, boom! Problem solved. 

You weren't tempted by the 4.10? Or would that be too short with the M52 gearbox? I don't really know much about what diff. ratio suits what, other than that I've got a 3.91 LSD, and that a little longer would make cruising nicer.

• Like 1

How have I never been in this part of the forum before?! This is the absolute ****! :D Awesome. I thought you were going to stop with giving it a good old clean haha... Got a little out of hand!

Haha thank you! A good clean, subtle lows and some nice wheels was the original plan the carbed engine was a pig so plans soon changed!

Awesome. I was surprised to see the small case in your photo, and then, boom! Problem solved.

You weren't tempted by the 4.10? Or would that be too short with the M52 gearbox? I don't really know much about what diff. ratio suits what, other than that I've got a 3.91 LSD, and that a little longer would make cruising nicer.

Yeah the small case LSD I had originally came up very cheap so I stuck it on. I don't think it would have stood much abuse from the m52 to be fair.

The 4.1 would have been a hoot to drive but generally way way too short. The standard e36 diff ratio is aroun 3 or even 2.9. So a 3.73 will be really really revvy and exciting and give me a top speed hopefully around 130mph as I won't need more than that on track and 1st may just about be useable! I drove the car a short while on the standard 4.27 and it was ridiculously funny :D

Oh wow, didn't realise the E36 diffs were so long! I can see why you didn't go for the 4.10 in that case. Was first worth bothering with the 4.27, or just like a low range in a Landy?

130 should be more than enough - not sure I'd want to go that fast in an e30 anyway, but you've got a cage so...

Oh wow, didn't realise the E36 diffs were so long! I can see why you didn't go for the 4.10 in that case. Was first worth bothering with the 4.27, or just like a low range in a Landy?

130 should be more than enough - not sure I'd want to go that fast in an e30 anyway, but you've got a cage so...

Yeah after the e30 era BMW seemed to go really long diffs!

4.27 you could easily pull off in second but also spin up in almost any gear haha!

Nice delivery today! My Mirco RS1 winged bucket seat I ordered a while back with custom white stitching! Perfect perfect fit for me, I'm 6ft1ish and a 32/34" waist and I'd say anyone bigger than me has no chance I'm nice and snug in it. I will get the wider RS2 for the passenger side so I can take passengers of all sizes in the car!

Currently sat watching the football in it lol

785AAAFA-D52E-4C58-B0E2-88F4581A8272_zps

• Like 2

Diff rebuild complete, did my own stud conversion too for the grand total of £4 using 4 high tensile cap heads with the heads chopped off rather than £40 that companies charge for 4 studs and 4 nuts!!

AE4ABEEB-30CB-4581-B453-B17D51D93A96_zps

2C4DE10F-9C08-4492-82B3-CF9D0C59BC07_zps

1ECC71BC-966A-4B86-A243-7E952617F675_zps

Mounted up a dream thanks to the studs. The original bolts are an utter ball ache to line up with a 38kg diff dangling off a jack!

I also cleaned and painted the prop and replaced the fuel tank due the the old one rotting and leaking!

23264EC3-05F7-4B1D-BB98-3888269C2387_zps

Spot the pretty Revshift trans mounts!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...