New Head Unit Question

I have got the Swing unit with the MDI function. This has repeatedly stop working as the system freezes then never offers you the MDI function. The only way to get the system working again is to do a battery reset.. This has now occurred 4 times. The MDI port has been replaced as this also broke. Skoda dealership seem to be getting annoyed with me. Have reinformed Skoda UK as I have been told the vehicle must be returned for a few days and they will replace the head unit (something I advised should have been done after the second time). I've had enough with this rapid and contemplating a change.. I'm never getting another Skoda again after the issues with the car and the company and the dealership. Faults and negativity from the sale to now!

Quote from a mechanic "Rapids are the worst car skoda has made and not up to EU customers satisfaction". Trying to explain they were solely intended for India only.

Soooo...

I was looking at a new head unit today. My friend currently has this for sale: http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-avh-x3600dab-double-din-car-stereo

Questions:

- Would this work with the rapid as I'm interested in DAB and the Apple CarPlay feature?

- Will my reverse parking sensors connect to this?

- Is it a direct fit? Do I need extra wiring?

Thanks in advance.

post-126051-0-40065800-1427276333_thumb.jpg

If you replace the Swing with an aftermarket non-VAG stereo you'll need the following:

Harness adapter (to convert the quad lock connector on the car's wiring harness to the ISO connector found on the vast majority of aftermarket stereos - about £20

or

Steering controls adapter - if the new head unit supports steering wheel controls, you'll need an adapter to convert the signals. Usually you can get a single cable that will handle both the quad lock-to ISO conversion and the steering controls (costing about £40 in total), which will save a few quid and reduce the amount of additional cable you have to tuck away behind the dash

If you have factory-fitted reversing sensors, it gets messy. You will lose the visual radar view, but you may still get the beeps. I'm trying to clarify if you need to add in an additional cable to reinstate the beeps (which you need to do on Renaults and Peugeot/Citroen cars when you replace the radio with an aftermarket one, as it's the radio that generates the beeps).

I'm also unclear how this will affect the Bluetooth setup on the car, if you have it, as I believe this is a separate module rather than being part of the head unit.

Further tp my last post - this looks like the adapter cable for us:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/C2/C2RangeProducts.aspx?Manfid=53&Groupid=115&Parentgroupid=114&Modelid=356

This single solution will convert the quad lock into an ISO, adapt the steering wheel controls to work with the aftermarket headunit, and will retain the visual reversing sensors display (as well as the beeps). It will also do the climate control view if you have climate control.

It is designed to work with any double-din head unit with a reversing camera input (it uses that input to insert its own visual displays for the above), which I think includes the Pioneer Apple Car Play unit.

Suffice to say I am now considering this myself.

• Like 1

Garrry, on 25 Mar 2015 - 09:40, said:

Quote from a mechanic "Rapids are the worst car skoda has made and not up to EU customers satisfaction". Trying to explain they were solely intended for India only.

What a knowledgeable mech he/she is/isn't

The Indian Rapid is a different car!

If I had a franchise and my mechs were badmouthing our product to clients they'd be out on the spot.

I gave up on my MDI as it doesn't like my Nano 7 under any circumstances.

Now I either connect it on bluetooth or play tunes off my SD card.

However, I like the car so much :)  that I wouldnt think to reject it over the MDI (or the fuelgauge either if Stormchaser's reading this)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

What a knowledgeable mech he/she is/isn't

The Indian Rapid is a different car!

We are drifting off topic a bit, but the mechanic wasn't entirely wrong. Yes, the car in India that carries the Rapid badge is an entirely different car.

However, as I've previously posted, most of the guts and running gear for the current Rapid/Toledo/Santana are lifted from the 2010 Indian VW Vento.

If I recall well, Rapid was designed for China, concept car which is based on was called Mission.

And by the way, faulty MIDI feature is well known problem for VAG radio units.

My swing unit/mdi did something strange today, I heard a high pitched noise then the mdi function froze but I could switch to radio fine... Very unusual. I've been quite happy with the swing unit and mdi feature but the alpine and pioneer car play units are very tempting!

Garrry: i just came across this Zenec, maybe it could be of some interest to you

That's a very tidy looking unit. Reviews seem to be a bit hit and miss though.

If I recall well, Rapid was designed for China, concept car which is based on was called Mission.

And by the way, faulty MIDI feature is well known problem for VAG radio units.

All correct, the Rapid/Toledo is a European-built rebadge of the Chinese VW Santana. The Mission was the original concept car (very little changed in the production car), but it's all based on the underpinnings, mechanicals and electrics from the 2010 Indian VW Vento.

As for the MDI interface in the Rapid, I'm with you 100% that it's a deeply flakey interface sadly. Mine works, but it is a pain in the arse and extremely cumbersome. As much as I didn't want to replace my head unit with an aftermarket, I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later due to the MDI and primitive Bluetooth A2DP implementation. I'm thinking CarPlay or a non-nav single DIN Kenwood. Don't want to spend a grand on the Kenwood VAG-compatible head unit.

The Kenwoods from Skoda get a very bad write up and are totally unreliable. I'd steer clear and especially it's ridiculous price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, you could retrofit a Columbus for half what one of those VAG-compatible Kenwood units cost.
  • Like 1

I like simple, avoiding flashy lights and gizmos, and only use a USB stick for my music so am contemplating a mechless single din head unit so it'll give me another cubby hole for stuff using this fellow

I'm with you on that. In my last car I had a single din Kenwood KDC-BT43U, only cost £100, had a modest look but had everything I needed in one small head unit: Bluetooth hands free and full A2DP with song data and full control, CD player, good FM/AM radio, removable faceplate, 1A USB port (inc iPod/iPhone support - control and charging inc Lightning devices).

If it wasn't for the fact I would lose the visual parking sensor display, I would remove the Swing and refit the Kenwood (I kept it and refitted the factory radio when I sold the Citroen) in a heartbeat. I would also buy that facia adapter you posted the link to - a very tidy solution.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Like Garry (OP), I am looking to change the SWING unit on my Rapid Spaceback. I have no real interest in a built-in Sat Nav and was wondering if the (VW) RCD 510 DAB would fit. Anyone have any thoughts or first hand experience? Is it likely to be a "possibly but with compromises" or a complete "No-no"? Thanks.

Edited by ted1888

As far as I'm aware nobody has tried it before.

In theory it should work as it's basically a Columbus without the nav, but as its a config the Rapid is not offered with, there's no guarantee it can be coded to work perfectly with your Maxidot and other controls.

How much can you get the unit for?

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Like Garry (OP), I am looking to change the SWING unit on my Rapid Spaceback. I have no real interest in a built-in Sat Nav and was wondering if the (VW) RCD 510 DAB would fit. Anyone have any thoughts or first hand experience? Is it likely to be a "possibly but with compromises" or a complete "No-no"? Thanks.

RCD 510 is Skoda Bolero

see here http://www.skodacommunity.de/skoda-forum/reparatur-und-umbau-anleitungen/88413-oem-radio-navi-fse-mdi-im-fabia-5j-roomster-rapid-octavia-2-yeti-superb-ii-nachr%C3%BCsten/ which model will fit in Rapid ( search for the one with two knobs on each side of cd slot)

Edited by dukedl

RCD 510 is Skoda Bolero

see here http://www.skodacommunity.de/skoda-forum/reparatur-und-umbau-anleitungen/88413-oem-radio-navi-fse-mdi-im-fabia-5j-roomster-rapid-octavia-2-yeti-superb-ii-nachrüsten/ which model will fit in Rapid ( search for the one with two knobs on each side of cd slot)

Aha- new Bolero. I'm used to the Bolero looking like this:

6F0BFBA3-728A-4B72-9AC3-4C9E7767C5C2-213

Suffice to say I'm sold in that case - I would like a Bolero and it should be an easy install. Like Ted1888 I don't need the nav as I've got my Garmin wired in. However, I like the idea of touchscreen, DAB and full compatibility with my reversing sensors and the rest of the car.

I'm confused now because I seem to recall reading a previous thread suggesting that a bolero won't fit into the dashboard of a Rapid or have I got that completely wrong? If it does fit, presumably the new trim can be purchased from a Skoda dealer?

Edited by ted1888

• 2 weeks later...