Dead Bolero

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has had issues with their Bolero.  My new 15 reg Octavia has developed an issue :(

It started with an intermittent issue with the headunit seemingly losing power at certain times.  The Bolero would power off randomly and then on again, no real series of events were triggering this.  Then...this morning when switching the ignition on, the unit wouldn't power on and remained off for my 40 mile journey.  Same on the way home, totally dead.

The only thing I do get is on the Maxidot.  If I flip the info around to Media, I get "Audio is currently not available".  If I scroll round to Telephone, I also get "Telephone is currently not available".

It's a pain mainly as I can't use hands free but, also slience isn't much fun.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. My local dealer can't get the vehicle in for two weeks and I kinda need hands free for my job etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed :)

Check for faulty fuses?

And if you have ejection tools for glovebox unit you could check cables are attached correctly. Last one is messure the voltage over c52 on backplane of display (should be 9 volt) if its gone check power cable to display if its attached.

Stil no power at c52 its power output on main unit in glovebox that has probably fried :)

Thats what I suggest.

I've had a few problems with the Bolaro in my Vrs (MKIII). Changes stations at random then tries to phone someone. Tried to get it replaced/fixed under warranty, no joy.

Complained to the dealer and Skoda CS Uk but you have to video the fault other wise there not interested  :no:

• Like 1

Check for faulty fuses?

And if you have ejection tools for glovebox unit you could check cables are attached correctly. Last one is messure the voltage over c52 on backplane of display (should be 9 volt) if its gone check power cable to display if its attached.

Stil no power at c52 its power output on main unit in glovebox that has probably fried :)

Thats what I suggest.

Thanks very much for that...I did think fuses so I'll check it out :)

• Like 1

I've had a few problems with the Bolaro in my Vrs (MKIII). Changes stations at random then tries to phone someone. Tried to get it replaced/fixed under warranty, no joy.

Complained to the dealer and Skoda CS Uk but you have to video the fault other wise there not interested  :no:

Interesting, mines a vRS.  Must be something dodgy going on that affects us poor vRS owners :o  My MKII was perfect in everyway so hope this isn't a sign to come.

Good point about taking a quick video of it in it's broken state, I'll do that tomoz morning just in case it miraculously starts working again.  Cheers for that and hope you got yours sorted mate.

Interesting, mines a vRS.  Must be something dodgy going on that affects us poor vRS owners :o  My MKII was perfect in everyway so hope this isn't a sign to come.

Good point about taking a quick video of it in it's broken state, I'll do that tomoz morning just in case it miraculously starts working again.  Cheers for that and hope you got yours sorted mate. :no:

I told Skoda Cs that my phone was poverty spec and didn't have a Camara and could they lend me an upto date mobile. The answer was.................................. :no:

• Like 1

It's up to the dealer to sort out, especially on a 15 plate that can be no older than 1 month old.

I hopefully will be collecting my VRS on Thursday, and have already told the supplying dealer I will be a pain in the ar*e if I have any problems!

I had same prob with Bolaro in my mk3 1.6 SE Henrys skoda glasgow got it replaced under warranty , doing exactly the same freezing, changing stations on its own then phoning people.

• Like 1

Identical symptoms on my Columbus.  Mine's been dead since it was dropped off brand new 6 weeks ago though. 

Skoda dealers, Skoda UK and the technical centre in Milton Keynes haven't a clue what to do.  I've now lost count of the number of times I've had to take it in now. 

First and last time I buy a Skoda.

Skoda's do seem to suffer more than most brands with electrical problems. I know that both the police and ambulance services in London have problems with the electrics in their Skoda's. The police have already ditched them as a result.

Well...the issue with mine was the control unit in the glove box. It needed a replacement unit in the end. The dealer diagnosed it on the day it went in and addressed the problem straight away so it's all good now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turns out my Amundsen needs replacing as the unit is completely dead. When I spoke to the dealer it sounded like Skoda are well aware of this problem and it is not a one off. Doesn't give me confidence in the reliability of these units.

Looks like my 18 month old Octy might be starting with the Bolero problem. Last night the unit didn't come on when I turned on the ignition & didn't come back to life until I stopped turned off the car and started it up again. Never done this before.

A quick question then - with the unit off & you start the car the clock with date appears, but if the unit is left on the next start up goes back to where it was. Might not have noticed before but when I turn on the ignition with the unit in the on position the clock & date appear for a split second then disappears. Is this normal or just another symptom of a failing Bolero?

If yes then a dealer visit is on the cards.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem with my new Octavia.

It was delivered late on Friday afternoon and only had a limited amount of time with the car and amundsun until Saturday morning when everything was working ok.  The ipod, radio, nav, phone etc connected and worked.

This lasted for 20 minutes until the unit reset and booted. This happened 5 minutes later and then was completly dead.  Upon stopping and switching on the message "context radio is starting" that was it.

It went in to the garage where a faulty unit was diagnosed.  The unit was replacen 2 days later.

But the garage were unable toget anything working but the radio and SD card, They don't know whats wrong!!!!!

Its now booked in for 2 days next week so the factory can connect in and try to diagnose the problem.

So the unit lasted for just over an hour and 3 trips to the garage in 3 weeks so far of Skoda ownership.

• 1 month later...

I had issues with my bolero last night. I've had niggles before, often seemed to be triggered by the connection of my phone to the USB (but maybe not always).  This niggles being an error message something like 'USB error!' And no media working, SD USB, CD often all affected, sometimes the radio is also affected and I get nothing.  I normally turn the unit off, on, set to radio and wait and it seems to correct itself in a few minutes.   Yesterday the radio had been working fine but 3 hours in I wanted CD and hitting the media button triggered the usual error.  This time though, over the next 5 minutes it escalated to a completely blank/dead screen and none of the surrounding buttons working.  Even the power button made no affect.  This state only lasted  a few minutes before returning to radio and then shortly to full function.

I guess if I'm somewhere I can pull over (not a motorway like last night) I can video it if it happens again.  I should also try and confirm it's not the phone at fault buy unplugging it. Phone is a nexus 5 BTW.

• 2 years later...

Dead Bolero here as well, but have now risen from the dead.

My unit started behaving strange at the end of last year. Symptoms was that the unit automatic turned off and produced a loud bass beat (sounded like some sort of rave music, really strange). The unit then rebooted and worked fine. This happened a couple of times last year, then it worked fine a couple of months and then started to behave strangely again. I also had more struggle to get it to boot this time. After a couple of weeks and a lot of trouble it ended up with blank screen, and it was completely dead.

Earlier I ordered tools to extract the radio, and it arrived today. I tested it, got the main unit out, detached the cables, opened up the unit (nothing special there), closed it, reattached the cable and assembled it back in the car. To my surprise the unit showed sign of life with light immediately after I connected the cables. I tried it with the radio and it worked fine! I guess (or hope) the cables was not seated correctly. Saved me a costly trip to the dealer.