Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

Slightly OT.

On a Vitara Forum an owner reported an issue with a flickering or failing LED headlamp. His local Suzuki dealership have replaced the entire headlamp unit under warranty as it is a "sealed unit" . The quoted cost for doing this is over £800.

Some of the owners of similar vehicles now think they are looking at a bill for over £800 every time an LED bulb fails. 

Even though the headlamp is classed as 'sealed', surely they could just have replaced the failing LED bulb? If so, what would the approximate cost be? 

Suzuki Main Dealership get so little Warranty Work that you take Quoted Cost of Warranty work with a pinch of salt. 

They might be filling their boots while they can.

As to Hourly Rate and minimum charge.

I enquired last week about Coding a key that another dealership had sourced.

£108 minimum to code it.

Just as well the instructions are online, and just need to follow the procedure. No Code Number etc. Takes under 5 minutes. 

Well as long as you do not wipe the coding for the other key in error.....

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 09.36.01 (1).png

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 09.36.58 (1).png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still like mine although it's the 'death to kittens' diesel version. It's not as refines or quite as 'sporty' to drive as the petrol obviously, but the mpg is superb for a smallish boxy 4x4 suv. The only complaints as I've said before is the steering feel is poor and I wouldn't mind if the gear ratios were a bit shorter. I drove the pre facelift 1.6 petrol (not sure facelift is totally honest really, it's had a teeny weeny tweak, more like a new hair style rather than a surgical procedure) and it was better to drive than the diesel. 

...and you still can't get seat heaters!!!!! 

Edited by Lady Elanore

The top version is half the price of a Kona Electric Highlander  - puts things into perspective on a value basis............and I can’t get it out of my mind.

I'm coming up to 4 year with mine (SZ5 All Grip) and the only fault I have is if it snows heavily the Radar Cruise control stops working and an annoying warning appears on the dash that you can not cancel. it also has appeared a few times in extremely heavy rain on the motorway. Once everything dries out a bit or the snow clears off the front of the car, it all returns to normal. Near freezing temps also mean that first gear has to be selected when the car is virtually stationary for the first mile or so, otherwise the syncrobox gearmesh is not a happy bunny. Funnily enough it's a bit similar to my old Fiat Sedici 4x4 (same car as the Suzuki SX4). I believe it's something only known to diesel versions and as mine was one of the first in the country, I am more likely to have gremlins than most. Still think it's a cracking little car. 

The car also cost £20k new approx (it also had Rugged pack and two tone metallic paint) and today it's worth over £11k to sell it to a dealer (thats not the same inflated price you might negotiate as a trade in). Not bad for a 4 year old car :) 

1 minute ago, Lady Elanore said:

I'm coming up to 4 year with mine (SZ5 All Grip) and the only fault I have is if it snows heavily the Radar Cruise control stops working and an annoying warning appears on the dash that you can not cancel. it also has appeared a few times in extremely heavy rain on the motorway. Once everything dries out a bit or the snow clears off the front of the car, it all returns to normal. Near freezing temps also mean that first gear has to be selected when the car is virtually stationary for the first mile or so, otherwise the syncrobox gearmesh is not a happy bunny. Funnily enough it's a bit similar to my old Fiat Sedici 4x4 (same car as the Suzuki SX4). I believe it's something only known to diesel versions and as mine was one of the first in the country, I am more likely to have gremlins than most. Still think it's a cracking little car. 

If it’s actually nice to drive (not so much an appliance) that’d be spiffy too.

A torque converter auto is my preferred option for an auto.

I’m a hypermiler in my dotage........what’s your best diesel return Amanda?.

I've had the car up into the 60-65mpg area a few times and I have a pretty heavy foot and live in Manchester, so the car is either crawling about in traffic or nailing down a motorway somewhere. Don't think I have ever seen under 50mpg for a tank though (I usually do empty to brim for fill ups). If I hypermiled think 70mpg would be achievable without too much stress.

For comparison I used to get 45-48 in my Sedici diesel 4x4

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

...and you still can't get seat heaters!!!!! 

Thats the one thing that is missing from my Swift as well...   Lots of toys but no bum warmers in the UK even though they get them on overseas versions.  At least mine being a dinky petrol warms up quickly unlike the previous civic diesel I had

I’d choose alcantara over leather every time...........so that’s another plus for me.

No CVT or DSG either - yippee!

I’m a fan of small turbos for remarkable fuel efficiency too .......if you try.

And - does anyone know if it has the GPF now?.

Edited by Ryeman

Well we finally succumbed and ordered the FWD Solar Yellow/Black roof  Boosterjet as a friend has been pestering us for our ‘white goods’ auto Astra due to her deteriorating knee making the clutch painful to use.   (We’re blaming her)

Due early May, which seems to Suzuki’s hand-to-mouth way of selling rather than stock in hand.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Due early May, which seems to Suzuki’s hand-to-mouth way of selling rather than stock in hand.

According to this video it's because they can bang them out in 3 minutes 50 seconds! 

^^^^ Hahahaha.

do like it’s engineered lightness, ground clearance and a blast from the past - space all round the engine such that it’s actually possible to wield a spanner on all 4 sides........and a battery fully exposed.

The first Allgrip in the colour we want would have meant waiting till mid August.........and in any case we couldn’t justify the extra $4k.  A Kona electric would have been more than twice the price which doesn’t make sense.

I think he was a bit confused about which cars have All Grip and what the 'Lock' button does and I don't think he is too familiar with Green Laneing :D  Still the Vitara did all right on the horrendous standard tyres. I think my old SWB Grand Vitara would have managed that course a lot easier though. 

Just now, Lady Elanore said:

I think he was a bit confused about which cars have All Grip and what the 'Lock' button does and I don't think he is too familiar with Green Laneing :D  Still the Vitara did all right on the horrendous standard tyres. I think my old SWB Grand Vitara would have managed that course a lot easier though. 

I think his partner had more of a clue.

I find bar treads a bit noisy :biggrin: