Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

I see there has been a face lift for the S-Cross. Personally I don't like it, the car looks like it has the front end from an entirely different vehicle bolted on. Anyhoo I've read a couple of reviews and AutoExpress really like it and Autocar sort of go ..."meh!" :D Their tests use the new 1.0 Ecoboosterjetturboefficencyhypermileageteenyweeny engine. Check out the reviews if you feel so inclined

AutoExpress  :)

O u c h . Not liking the look at first.

I really don't like the grill treatment. It sort of looks like a 'melted in the sun' American design :(

Looks like an old fashioned Daewoo grill; they were never good looking

I see there has been a face lift for the S-Cross. Personally I don't like it, the car looks like it has the front end from an entirely different vehicle bolted on. Anyhoo I've read a couple of reviews and AutoExpress really like it and Autocar sort of go ..."meh!" :D Their tests use the new 1.0 Ecoboosterjetturboefficencyhypermileageteenyweeny engine. Check out the reviews if you feel so inclined

AutoExpress  :)

Autocar  :(

I suppose one interesting thing is the 1.0 engine may end up in the slightly smaller and lighter Vitara :)

......and don't forget you can tweek a teeny weeny

https://www.mychiptuningfiles.com/chiptuning-files/peugeot/peugeot-308/peugeot-308-1-2-e-thp-130hp

I have the Fiat lump :( although I suspect that is easily tuned a teeny weeny bit :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So far nothing has fallen off, economy remains strong, my Dad can get 60+mpg, but I still get 50mpg - ish with a fair bit of motorway driving. The only complaint is still the steering, it is extremely numb and has very poor self centering  :( The other thing is the efficient engine takes an age to warm up and there is no supplementary heater fitted so with the cold mornings we have at the moment it can take a good 10 minutes before the cabin warms up, longer if you let the engine idle while you clear the frost.

I've had a recall note for an ambient temp sensor, which to be honest I'm not panicking about, but included with the letter was an offer to update the car to the latest EU6 settings. I think not!! It's probably linked to the Fiat dieselgate thing, but I'm not interested with them tweaking the engine unless it was for more power...which it isn't :D

I had the headlights tweaked down a tad which has helped, but that's it for complaints. it's not a high end SUV and is priced accordingly. It's 4x4 system works really well in snow and sand and the little bit of muddy field exploration I've done turned out well :)

If I was in charge of the facelift, I'd say leave the looks alone, put the option of heated seats into the alcantara seated models, do something to make the doors close more smoothly and fix the ruddy steering. Apart from that, I think the car is spot on. Great value for money and does what it says on the tin and then a little bit more. Would I buy the car again? Yes :) 

The other thing is the efficient engine takes an age to warm up and there is no supplementary heater fitted so with the cold mornings we have at the moment it can take a good 10 minutes before the cabin warms up, longer if you let the engine idle while you clear the frost.

That brings back memories. I had the 105bhp Eco version of the same Fiat 1.6 Multijet engine in my Bravo and it was great on fuel but really slow to heat up.

If we had sub zero temperatures I could get to work ten miles away and the temperature gauge wasn't up to "normal". If you got caught in traffic and it was idling with the heater on full I'd see it start to drop back. I suspected a thermostat but it was checked by a dealer and other owners had the same issue.

I got a bit of black foam carpet underlay and each winter used it to blank off the lower grill to reduce airflow over the radiator and saw an immediate improvement of a couple of MPG and got heat from the vents quicker.

I find driving like I stole it helps :D

You're sooo predictable)))))

Steering is a deal breaker for me....the feel free version, I wonder what the 2WD 1.4 would be like in comparison.

In the g.o.ds Suzukis had a great reputation for long term reliability too.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I've been working down in Birmingham and commuting each day to Bromsgrove where my digs where. Setting off from Birmingham at 22:00hrs each night this last week has been challenging to say the least. Total grid lock trying to get out of a snowy Birmingham was the usual first problem, then, when I let the TomTom have a crack at solving my problem, it took me cross country. Idiots tailing me down hills was probably my biggest headache and I even pulled off into a side road (escaped out of his way) on one long downhill to watch the pillock behind me sail past and gently glide into the stationary traffic waiting at the junction below. It was a hunch that saved me a lot of paperwork and and crumpled Vitara....grrrrrr.

Anyhoo, icy covered roads with a dry powdery snow topping of about 4-8 inches was something to take carefully,especially as at times I was on some pretty desolate roads in the middle of nowhere. So apart from helping to push a few cars up a hill (one was an old chap in a Fabia :) ) How did the Suzi do? Well, Hill starts, after coming to a stop because of stuck cars (which I helped to move or push, mainly so I could continue on my way if I am honest :D) were a doddle and so to where hill descents. Not bothering with the 'descent mode' just using snow mode and first gear engine braking was easily sufficient. Even a few drifts with deep snow didn't faze the little Vitara. On one hill I passed not only a couple of 'premium' Suvs, Q5 and Evoke (I think it might have been a front wheel drive model judging by the way it slewed across the road) but even a Yeti!

If I am honest I also had the not insignificant help of Nokian's finest winter tyres. Also, probably of some assistance was the cars very light weight, which possibly stopped me digging down to the ice layer on the road surface, only a hunch though

Verdict - possibly the best snow car I've owned  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Are you still here this week? Would be good to say hello. 

It would have been fun to meet up after all these years, but I'm afraid I am now back in Manchester :( . Had a late trip back tonight as a young chap I was working with flattened his car battery by leaving his interior light on. I suggest we bump started his car on a long nearby hill if there was any juice left in the battery, but he didn't know what I meant and figured I was pulling his leg when I explained what was entailed :D I ended up driving him to a garage to buy jump-leads and then connected them up for him and starting his car. Girl power eh :):):) 

Here is a snap from a couple of nights ago, just outside the hotel, hence the clear road surface

Suzi near Bromsgrove.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is something about this vehicle that keeps drawing me back in as it being the replacement for my Octy Scout. 

Lady E, have you experienced any issues with the SatNav in yours? Issues with the SatNav seem to be the most talked about issue on the Vitara forum you recommended. 

My Sat Nav has been faultless. I did have a slight issue with reseating the SD card the nav map is on, after I removed it once, but it has been fine since. What is the common fault?

Also you will notice a 'drop' in soft touch materials compared to a Skoda though, it is built to a cost, but I love it. When th PCP runs out in December, I intend (funds permitting and a bank willing to lend me a few quid) to buy the car. It was superb in the recent snow, is good in very muddy fields (even without appropriate tyres) and has been on a soft sand beach on several occasions (I take photos of kite surfers at Ainsdale and they fly from an awful long way along the beach and you need somewhere 'clean' to swap lenses on a a windy day). Terrific 'one car does it all' solution. I wonder If Suzuki will hire me to front an advertising campaign now that Ant and Dec have lost their jobs?

The main issue with the SatNav is it tends to freeze/crash. The only solution it to switch off the engine and it reboots. Owners tend to find the maps are well out of date, even after updating. 

The quality of the dash plastics will only remind me of my 2003 Honda Civic which I have very fond memories of; 40,000 miles of the 90,000 miles I put on it were spent travelling around Spain and France. 

When funds allow, I would be looking at the 1.4S Boosterjet. I only wish the equipment levels on the SX Cross were reflected on the Vitara; dual zone climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror, sun glass holder (for non sunroof vehicles, standard front and rear arm rests, to name a few. 

When looking at all the alternatives, it is still the vehicle I return to. 

The only thing I miss really is heated seats :( but as the centre parts are alcantara they never seem cold, even in this latest cold snap :) 

I guess my map is a little out of date, but a quick trip in a loan car that is fitted with a sat nav may remedy this :D (Copying the data, not pinching the card) 

I’m interested in the booster-jet with the torque converter auto rather than the twin clutch version in the diesel.

Why have two different autos?.

• Like 1

Because they can.

I have had traditional Suzuki Automatics for 18 years and like the simplicity. My 18 year old one has had the ATF changed once and my 15 year old has not.

So i have driven the newer Suzuki , Fiat and Jeep  with the Auto and the Twin Clutch boxes.

The Twin Clutch is a cracker as are the engines they are fitted to.   Leasing i would want one of those.

If i was buying as a keeper i think i would go for the 1.6 Petrol and Auto. KISS. 

Go on Test Drives.   If there is a Fiat 500L Cross or a Jeep Renegade with the Twin Clutch Box available try them.