rear road noise how to reduce

I have two out of shape tyres thst are now on the rear due to them causing the handling to be off when on the front. (Which i started another thread about) everythin is fine now apart from alot of road noise from the back. Is there any way of reducing this, eg lining boot or wheel arches? I dont want fork out for two new tyres yet as theres plenty tread left on um. Any sugestions?

Have you looked at more like your suspension is Off, and that is why your handling was off, making the tyres bad.

And the will go bad again on the front if you leave things as they are and have been for 1 year.

Noisy Gearbox as well needs sorting.

Maybe sort the car out before thinking on Noise Deadening, because it should really just be as noisy as any other Octavia Estate.

I'd put money on your out of shape tyres contributing to the increased road noise. Just because your tyres aren't worn out doesn't mean that they're not at the end of their life.

Edited by j0hn
  • Like 1

Adding some sound deadening to the boot floor may help, it's quite a thin and hollow space. Otherwise your best bet is tyres, or learning to love it :)

I'd put money on your out of shape tyres contributing to the increased road noise. Just because your tyres aren't worn out doesn't mean that they're not at the end of their life.

Agrre , surprising how much noise mine made , untill i fitted a new set , and all is quiet 

I've heard from people with here in Norway, that application of some kind of undercarriage coating are effective. I think it was an addition to the anti-rust coating, and applied on the plastic protection in the wheel arches as well. It was reported to have good effect on road noise.

Just a thought, but maybe worthwile to check out. Check with your dealer or SUK which type they approve, as some may react with the factory applied anti-rust coating.

I have increased my preasures from 33psi to 36 psi and its made a big differance. Its alot quieter and also smoother.

Really new tyres are teh best option, something quiet like GY efficient grip can make a decent difference.

If you're stuck for cash lining the boot with some old carpet underlay can help. Anything soft will absorb sound to a greater or lesser extent.

But as said the Octy is a bit of a noisy bugger. One of the things about the car I don't miss.

They are a noisy car, regardless of tyres. There's a distinct lack of factory fitted sound proofing compared with, say, a similar Audi. But you pays yer money...

This is so True.

The Mrs had an Astra H and that was much quieter than the Octy. She now has a Merc ML on the Optional Air Suspension... The noise difference to my Octy is HUGE!. Mine is like someone has put my head next to a car tyre doing 70mph!