Occasional and brief stiff steering/loss of PAS.

Hi

My '04 Fabia seems to have developed a fault where the steering will occasionally go stiff for s brief moment, like the power steering has failed, however there are no warning lights. The problem lasts for only a second or so then returns to normal, but it happens frequently.

Found a bit of info regarding a steering sensor but not much else?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thoughts as to possible causes, remembering that Furbies have electrically driven PAS hydraulic pumps:-

1. Failing Steering Angle sensor.
  2. Failing alternator (drive clutch, or sense wire, or brushes, or even slipping auxiliary drive belt).
  3. Leaking Power Assisted Steering rack.

(1) and (2) should leave fault codes. (2) in particular can throw codes for more or less any or all electrical systems.

(3) will give you an oil leak, but no loss of engine or gearbox oil.

• Like 1

The alternator was replaced a year ago so hopefully that's ok. The load sensor wire was repaired same time as it broke in the same place a lot of them do on this model.

Not noticed any leaks. What's the best way of checking for this? Where would the reservoir be to check levels?

Hi

Quick update... hooked up to computer, no fault codes showing. They looked at the steering rack and found a slight fluid leak, will take out the battery to get to the pas fluid tank later and check levels.

Would a leaking rack need full replacement? Any idea of costs?

Cheers

Pete

Hi

Quick update... hooked up to computer, no fault codes showing. They looked at the steering rack and found a slight fluid leak, will take out the battery to get to the pas fluid tank later and check levels.

Would a leaking rack need full replacement? Any idea of costs?

Cheers

Pete

If it is only a slight leak I would be tempted to leave it as it is for the time being, until it gets worse or the M.O.T is due its probably been leaking slightly for a long while as they are such a P.I.T.A to check the fluid level nobody has probably bothered. My old Fabia had a very slight leak but only needed topping up every couple of years and never got noticed by an mot tester. Obviously if you start seeing fluid on the ground its time to change it but a slight seep???

• Like 1

Right, had all the battery out and got to the pas fluid tank. It was either empty or very low. Nothing on the minimum mark on the dipstick and couldn't see anything in the tank. Filled it to max level and put it all back together, took for a test drive and problem seems resolved. Didn't notice any obvious stiffness with the steering etc.

There was quite a bit of oil from where it's been leaking on the undertray and around the pipework, was told it tends not to evaporate or disappear easily, so could still be a slow leak I guess?  Checked underneath after the test drive and didn't notice any dripping. I'm using the car tomorrow, a 2 hour drive in the morning and back again in the evening, so will see how it gets on and if theres any fluid on the floor after its been parked up. I would take all the battery out again to check levels, but what a ball ache!  Will see how it goes, if the problem reoccurs anytime soon will get it in for a new steering rack, or a repair if possible.

Cheers for all the help, I'll report back after tomorrows driving.

Pete

Mine had a very slow leak/sweating near the gaiters......... cost too much to rip out & replace, just took about 10ml top up each service I did on it.............(once a year with my mileage).........don't worry too much just keep an eye on it............

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Power-Steering-Stop-Leak-SKODA-/290815726240

This is what I used but be careful, I ended up topping up too much of the stop leak fluid and the rack was too stiff. In the end I drained the reservoir, then added a mix of around 30-40% stop-fluid with normal VAG spec PAS fluid.

Had a look just now and there's fluid on the ground under the car, so it's leaked a fair bit overnight.

Is it coming out of the steering rack bellows? If it is, the rack is toast.

• Like 1

Not sure, but going to check the pas tank a bit later and see what the loss is. It's going in to get checked out in a couple of weeks (in holiday soon). I suspect the rack will just get replaced.

I'll get a used one off Fleabay. Are we talking a major job here, or only an hour or two worth if work?