Top Gear Magazine Review

Nobody will buy the 280 petrol!! - I don't know about that judging by the reaction of some on here :)

Most of the reviews so far are not bad but there is no 'wow factor' as such, like there was with the SII ! It comes across as capable but inoffensive from what I've seen so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With having the current 1.4TSi we were looking towards the 2.0TSi for our next car but it's only an automatic so will be going for the 1.4TSi SE. Never driven an automatic and don't want to. Might seem closed minded but the feel of a manual seems right while the notion of an automatic doesn't feel right for me. 

With having the current 1.4TSi we were looking towards the 2.0TSi for our next car but it's only an automatic so will be going for the 1.4TSi SE. Never driven an automatic and don't want to. Might seem closed minded but the feel of a manual seems right while the notion of an automatic doesn't feel right for me. 

Interesting.......

When I were a lad I had the same opinion, but technology does march on with the passage of time, & automatics have improved a lot.

DSG's don't behave like an old-school auto, they learn from your own driving style & shift up / down accordingly.

All our cars have paddles, (very unusual on a Superb) & they give instant manual over-ride whenever the driver needs to "take control"!

We were late for an appointment yesterday afternoon & needed to scoot the Superb through the motorway traffic, that's when the paddles are handy.

I can't shift as fast as a DSG, & I no longer want to try.

The 6-speed DSG is a very good match for the 2.0 TSi, both re. performance & economy, if they weren't we wouldn't have bought 3 of them!

DC

If you think that you need to experience the joys & wonders (!) organise a test drive in a petrol Octavia vRS, it's the latest version of the DSG &  a very similar engine. 

Interesting.......

When I were a lad I had the same opinion, but technology does march on with the passage of time, & automatics have improved a lot.

So do I.

But one day a good friend of mine, car journalist, engineer and an outstanding driver, told me a couple of things:

1 - You can drive an automatic car in manual mode. You can NOT drive a manual car in automatic mode.

2 - We're in the 21st century. The clutch pedal is a complete anachronism.

My last 3 cars have been automatic. My wife's car is manual, and I have no problem when I drive it, but I feel a bit like using a floppy disk instead an USB stick.

(Just my 2 cents)

• Like 1

I went for a 7 gears DSG box a few years ago and it turned out to be one of my favourite things about driving my car. Smooth effortless driving with quick access to power and speed whenever needed. Bonus... no clutching on & off in traffic!

Girlfriend asked me to find her a new car... and so I did. DSG included - she loves it.. won't go back.

2 chaps at work were about to order their new co cars, I suggested they'd tried a DSG box... both did and both ended up adding it to their car order. A year on, both say they'll never go back!

You get the gist... am a big fan and am slowly converting the world !

Sure, not for everybody but... do give it a go as its nothing like old autos.

Edited by Didorx
  • Like 1

I think it largely depends on what car you are driving and what you want out of it. If it's a car that will be taken on track and the driver is a skilled one, 9/10 times they would prefer to have a manual. My next Superb will be a DSG but then I do a lot of town driving, so that will suit me.

I think the next one is going to be an auto (and almost certainly a VW Group DSG). Why? I was sitting in a queue of traffic on the way to work the other day changing gear for the billionth time, and thought 'I'm going to end up with one leg twice the size of the other if I carry on like this'

So do I.

But one day a good friend of mine, car journalist, engineer and an outstanding driver, told me a couple of things:

1 - You can drive an automatic car in manual mode. You can NOT drive a manual car in automatic mode.

2 - We're in the 21st century. The clutch pedal is a complete anachronism.

My last 3 cars have been automatic. My wife's car is manual, and I have no problem when I drive it, but I feel a bit like using a floppy disk instead an USB stick.

(Just my 2 cents)

The DSG is great and here it comes....but....

It's less fuel efficient than the manual.  OK.  In real life this may not be the case and it will always depend on your style of driving but us company car drivers get taxed on the official figures and the DSG officially gives off more CO2.

That means a higher tax band and more money out of my pocket and in the hands of the tax man.  Companies also get WAY less tax relief to write the car down over time so in some cases you are not even allowed to order it as an option.

Until this changes most company car drivers (and lets be honest, taxi drivers) won't take it as an option.

Using comcar.co.uk and comparing the exact same car (2.0D 170PS) with and without the DSG box you get the following differences.

Manual          DSG

MPG            60.1            53.3

Co2 g/km   122             138

Corp Tax     18%              8%

Yes this is the 21st century but sadly automatic / DSG boxes are not as good as a manual when it comes to fuel economy.  Only when it does will more people take the option than don't.

• Like 2

The DSG is great and here it comes....but....

It's less fuel efficient than the manual.  OK.  In real life this may not be the case and it will always depend on your style of driving but us company car drivers get taxed on the official figures and the DSG officially gives off more CO2.

That means a higher tax band and more money out of my pocket and in the hands of the tax man.  Companies also get WAY less tax relief to write the car down over time so in some cases you are not even allowed to order it as an option.

Until this changes most company car drivers (and lets be honest, taxi drivers) won't take it as an option.

Using comcar.co.uk and comparing the exact same car (2.0D 170PS) with and without the DSG box you get the following differences.

Manual          DSG

MPG            60.1            53.3

Co2 g/km   122             138

Corp Tax     18%              8%

Yes this is the 21st century but sadly automatic / DSG boxes are not as good as a manual when it comes to fuel economy.  Only when it does will more people take the option than don't.

You have point there... BUT:

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/technology

Scroll to mid page.

Marginal differences across DSG and manual. Ok, it may shift you up a tax band but still... not such a significant cost as it once was.

Yes this is the 21st century but sadly automatic / DSG boxes are not as good as a manual when it comes to fuel economy.

Of  course, we are not talking about economy.

If we would talk about economy, diesel cars would be better than petrol cars. But they are not. It is not economy, just a fact.