mk2 fabia vrs estate. itching to make changes

Now now gents. Lets chill.

i initially dealt with carla and then apparently went to an escalation team and dealt with charlene.

haven't had a written response from them as was all over the phone.

i've covered 900 miles since the oil first got weighed. Due to check the level later this evening.

have now logged a complaint with the seat garage where i bought the car to see if get anywhere

Are either of those 2 ladies Customer Services Manager that have had your Test Results through to the Technical Team?

You need stuff in Writing from Skoda UK just to confirm what is said over the phone.

I must look at the post someone received here from Skoda UK where a lady said the 1 litre of oil used in 1000 km was within tolerances. (As some Service Managers do.)

This is the issue with dealing with the Skoda UK HQ and non Technical people.

EDIT,

My Bad.  this one made a Typo and said under 5 litres in 1000 km was 'within Skoda standards'

she just missed the Decimal Point,  as the sometimes do.

This was a Customer Relations Manager.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/355083-response-from-skoda-ref-new-engine-warranty

PS 

A Seat Main Dealer will very much know the issues as it started with the Ibiza Twincharger before the vRS was even on sale.

Another Member on his 2nd vRS bought it from a Seat Dealer and is having Warranty Claim Issues.

I must ask how it is going with him, they did not want to know.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Both of them said they had taken it to the technical team and both said because it has passed the test there is nothing they will do. I will try to get it in writing from them so i have it documented.

i originally went to the seat dealership to get the problem solved and all they did was check for leaks then say it would be £750 to fix it, as though it was obvious what was wrong. Told them i had a warranty on the vehicle so i called warranty company who basically said that because it is a modification to the vehicle it isn't covered under warranty (a whole other story of the arguement had with them) am now waiting a response from the dealership as to whether they will sort the issue due to breach of sale of goods act.

• Like 1

As ever, you are absolutely right that you should document EVERYTHING. Ideally, you should do this as it happens (a contemporaneous record).

However, before going after Skoda, the Seat dealer or your Warranty provider you MUST be 100% certain of your grounds for complaint.

Many people may consider that using ½ litre of oil per 621 miles is unacceptable but it is what is promised by Skoda.

The best you can hope for is another oil consumption tests at some future date (before the expiry of your warranty) showing that you are using more than this -or- a goodwill gesture on the part of Skoda if they really have now discovered an effective fix for this high oil consumption.

Can you show were they Promise this.?

Are you referring to the Owners Manual which you receive with a car,

after collecting it.  

which says.

on Page 168

"It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5 l/ 1000 km

depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle.

The Oil consumption may be higher than this during the first 5,000 km."

Now 'May use as much'.

But what are the Style or driving conditions using your car for work that means this is acceptable,

in normal ambient temperatures, at UK NSL speeds, not towing or crossing high mountain passes.

They promise nothing, they use a figure for all engines as an indication of possible oil use,

3, 4 or more cylinders, Petrol or Diesel and from 44 kw - 132 kw in the case of the Fabia.

So vxh26 u r says that every 1.5 tanks of fuel we should accept to put 0.5litre of oil in a tiny wee 1.4 engine. Ur off ur heid. These engines are suposed to be award winning not 2 strokes!

• Like 2

Can you show, etc., etc., etc...

Promise was the wrong word - as you suggest.

The details come from the manual, I am not aware that they say anything anywhere else, are you?

"May be as much as 0.5 l/ 1000 km" seems perfectly clear to me - Google "May" if you don't understand its meaning.

Skoda do not say that you will definitely use less than ½ litre of oil per 621 miles in normal ambient temperatures, at UK NSL speeds, not towing or crossing high mountain passes.

Nor do they suggest that any of this applies to other cars in their range but not to the vRS.

So vxh26 u r says that every 1.5 tanks of fuel we should accept to put 0.5litre of oil in a tiny wee 1.4 engine. Ur off ur heid. These engines are suposed to be award winning not 2 strokes!

No, it could be argued that Skoda say that - and probably is from time to time - READ THE FINE MANUAL!

So if the car uses this amount of oil during an Oil Consumption test under Normal usage, Driving Style and Conditions.

It was why Skoda / VW know the engine is showing the issues that go with the engines that go on to use Excessive oil when 

being used in less than ideal conditions.

Skoda have accepted rather a lot over the past 5 years that if a driver does 10,000 miles a year,

that 8 litres required between services is not acceptable.

They recommend you buy the oil at the Dealership to ensure you get the correct oil,

but just even forgetting that, & thinking £12 a Litre at Asda,

then £96, 

then put the car in for a service and have the Dealership charge another £40 plus on oil.

& if it was using 0.5 litres in 621 miles, you are putting oil in between each 2 tank fills to keep the oil in Area B.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

It is not a case of accepting 0.5 litres oil use in 621 miles because Skoda / VW publish that as the acceptable figure,

It can be challenged as an indication of Fundamental Design & Component choice failures and the reasons they discontinued the only 3 year in Production CAVE engine and introduced the CTHE in 2012.

After having stopped producing the Seat Ibiza with the CAVE engine, 

and not re-Launching with the Face LIft 2013 Cupra until it had the CTHE engine.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok, back on here after a while, thought i would update on the car, what i've had done etc.

Car has now been remapped, should be running ~215bhp although not been on a rolling road, i've also fitted an itg replacement filter, and the cat back non-res exhaust (slightly modified for estate) from cobra. Brembo pads and higher temp brake fluid.

Also lost my santa pod viginity this weekend, best run was 14.6509, not sure how this compares but i was chuffed with it for 1st ever run

It still uses the same amount of oil i think i have just got used to it. I had new spark plugs put in just before went down to santa pod just incase but garage didn't keep the old ones in order so not sure which came out of which or would have posted those. With the oil i just check regularly and top up when needed, then get full oil change done every year regardless of miles. Think i read somewhere about changing to 10/40 instead of 5/30 but not sure, if see more about it and there are benefits i may do that

I've also read about the different oil, 5/40 or 10/40, helping some improve the oil consumption. Mine uses oil but I'm still monitoring it and need to understand ho much to top up from which point on the dip stick, the manual is not helpful. I've not had my car long and only covered 1200miles so far. Remapping the engine is something I'm interested in the future if it doesn't drink too much oil.

Not 10w 40.

The Oil recommended is 5w 30 FS Long Life VW 504 00, 

And that was what went in at the factory with the CAVE from 2010 (2009) in the SEAT even when they were all Fixed Servicing.

Then VW / Skoda / Audi / Seat changed the code to Variable Servicing.

Use the 5w 30 FS if you want, that is what is needed anyway if you do not change the Oil every 10,000 miles or less.

But many CAVE and some CTHE use oil.  The Recommended 'Castrol' is crap in a Twincharger. 

So 5w 40 FS to VW 502 00 can help reduce Oil Use in Oil Users.

Surely worth a try, it does no harm and can do some good.

Do not use 10w 40 though in the UK, this is not needed or the oil for a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kW Twincharger.

I read about the oil on someones build thread for their car, it was on a seat forum but think he is or was a member on here, you are correct goneoffski, it was 5/40 he recommended so apologies for the mis-quote, reasoning was that it shouldn't burn off as fast as can handle temps upto 145 before breaking down.

As for ARB, i would assume that adding something "non-standard" means it would void the warranty. Mine is now out of warranty hence why i have had the other work done, next step is a RARB, also want to do the suspension but don't want to lower it, just better quality so going to have a look around and see what there is, problem is, think i may have to do shocks aswell if get new springs, would hate to get new springs for shocks to go and potentially damage new springs.