mk2 fabia vrs estate. itching to make changes

Well this is newest car i've had and never had anything with a turbo or supercharger so not sure what is "normal". All i know is i've had the car just over 2 years, put 18/19k on it and have used 3 x 4.5l tubs of oil, and its had 2 oil changes in that time (oil supplied by garage not what i've bought)

I would guess that its no longer under skoda warranty but i got warranty at the dealer i bought car from.

the chatter type noise is really confusing me. I've tried to replicate driving conditions/styles to try and make the noise so can narrow it down but no luck. It just does it every so often and know its under acceleration because i've noticed the car holding back, i then lift off a little bit and it seems to go fine.

So you or anyone else used top gear performance in doncaster? They do powerflow exhausts

Ok. I realise other post are going on for the oil consumption and hence don't expect a reply but thought i would keep this updated as to where i am with my car currently.

I've had an e-mail back from dealership saying the only work which has been carried out on my car is the 34f7 recall (dsg). And there are no outstanding service campaigns/recalls/ecu updates for the car.

On the topic of oil consumption the gent said the acceptable figure was 1l per 1000 miles.

After threads on here and looking at handbook, a shortened version of my reply went as follows:

Corrected him on oil consumption 0.5l per 1000km = 1l per 1200+miles

Then quoted my figures

His figure = 1.09l per 1000 miles

corrected figure = 1.2l per 1000 miles

skoda figure = 0.677l per 1000km

Have then asked what i should do considering these figures are higher than acceptable figures

Once again. No need for a reply unless you want to. Just thought would keep my experience and progress in here until i have all details to add to another thread

• Like 1

God help us, if a dealership workshop doesn't know Skoda's acceptable oil consumption figures, what do they know?

Page 145 of the Owner's manual (LINK) includes the following observation:

The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5 litres per 1,000 kilometres depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate the vehicle. Consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5,000 kilometres.

1,000 kilometres is just about 621 miles. The page number may differ in your version of the manual, the dealer may never have seen any manual at all.

If, as you suggest above, you are using more than ½ litre of oil per 621 miles you need to get something done - pronto - forget about RARB, Springs, Tuning box, Brighter lights, chequered flag stripes and fluffy dice for the moment. Get your excess oil consumption sorted out while you still have one year left on your warranty.

DO IT TODAY!

• Like 1

Everything is on hold apart from getting prices.

With regards to the oil skoda have said i will have to get a chargeable oil consumption test done (£90) i have contacted the dealer i bought car from as don't feel i should have to pay for this and the seat dealership has said i have to take car into them tomorrow to run a diagnostic of the car. Will see what happens

Quick update. Took to seat dealer bought car from. They did a check on the vehicle to ensure no oil leaks then without doing a consumption test said that the fix was new oil injectors??? Apparently also a fault on the ibiza. They wanted to charge £750 so got in touch with warranty company who claimed that because the fix is a modification to the engine i am not covered. So i am now going for oil consumption test at skoda dealership on tuesday in the hope that if proven to be excessive consumption they will gix the issue

An updathe that Volkswagen have come up with because of an issue that has been there for 5 years on the Twinchargers in the Ibiza,Fabia,Polo and Audi. An issue Seat Dealers know well of, as do Warranty Providers that cover these cars, so nobody needs to be surprised, they need to Man Up and stop acting surprised.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Oil consumption test now complete. Over the test i have been calculated as using 0.484l/1000km. So i guess i am stuck with it. Not bad in that i love the car, but bad that i have to put so much oil in it to use and enjoy it and it is considered acceptable by skoda :-(

'Calculated as'    ?  Did it use that or just Calculated to?

What Weights are the Oil Drained.

How many Miles Covered,

Then Weight of Oil Drained?

If you could tell me these please.

That is a Fail. 0.484 litre for 1000km.

Even 0.31 litres per 1000 km (621 miles) is a Fail.   Action Needs taking.  

May Use as much as 0.5 litres 1000 km is just a figure VW / Skoda use.

You were using the car normally, no,  Extreme Use, Types of Driving Style etc.

Another member has just had a result of 1.3 litres for 1000 km, and is to get 'Oil Squirters.'

Someone is having a Giraffe.

Edited by goneoffSKi

So,

start weight 3490g

after test 3240g (250g loss)

382miles driven = 614km?

Their calculation:

250 ÷ 614 = 0.407g/km

= 0.407kg/1000km

0.407 ÷ 0.84 (density of oil?) = 0.484l/1000km

All driving was normal, just to and from work, nowhere to thrash it as usually busyish roads or speed bumps

I got a photocopy of their procedure with the calculations on it and the invoice stating:

"Carried out full test found car to be using 0.484l/1000km. Can only authorise work on the vehicle when oil consumption is above 0.536l/1000km"

I must say i was very surprised to see the oil weight figures. They seemed very rounded to say their procedure states must use weights with 1g precision. This may just be having my quality head on though. But if said +&-9g potential. Thats 18g potential difference, which would put consumption upto ~0.51l/1000km based on their workings

I'm calling skoda uk tomorrow (recommended by skoda garage strangely) to see if there is anything they will do

• Like 2

Well that is all nonsense from them.

3.6 litres of engine oil @ 857 grams a litre is only 3085.2 grams.

then when they drop the oil once having taken the engine up to operating temperature,

they still do not get it all out, so the start weight is less than 3085.2 grams.

so did they start with over 4 litres of oil in the engine,

and manage to take all that out and weigh it?

I take it you had a Technician that thought the engine was a 4.2 litre capacity.

*** 4 X 857 grams = 3428 grams **

4.1 x 857 grams = 3513 grams

** To drain the oil after the test and get 3240 grams, that is 3.78 litres**

'Fail' on the people doing the Test.

Contact Skoda UK Customer Services,

ask them to forward a copy of how the Oil Consumption Test should be done, 

the Oil Capacity of your car & the Weight of Engine Oil.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Have to apologise @goneoffSKi

The start and end weight was including container. Sorry for that part

I have now raised a case with skoda to see if there is anything they will do about the amount of oil it is using based on what the results are from the garage. Should be getting a call in the next 24hrs.

The Instructions clearly say to weigh the clean container empty and deduct this from the results.

Use the same container etc

So what was their given weight for the Container in the report.

They are having a giraffe.

The weights are exactly as i have seen from 4.2 litres being used.

i have also seen reports with 3.9 litres used.

several like the example in post # 36 where some idiot though 1 Litre of Engine Oil weighed 1000 grams.

I noticed that. The instructions are conflicting. It says weigh the empty container. But then nowhere does it say what to do with that weight. The example at bottom of page gives an example calculation but asks for the weight before test (including container). So what could be thought of as taring the scales with container on is then thrown out as a weight with container is requested. CONFUSING!! But something i will bring up with the whoever calls me tomorrow from skoda.

How it used to be done, and it was more accurate when done correctly.

With failures like with the 1.4 TSI Twinchargers where short and cold oil journeys can be where the issue shows,

allowing the Owner to do 1,242 miles (2,000 km) is real world.

If they are sure the engine has no faults it should do that without using 1 litre of oil.

(no matter what the Owners Manual says & has for years, for every type of Volkswagen Engine, 3, 4 or more Cylinder, 

petrol or diesel.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

I just hope it gets sorted. Its the first "new car" i have owned and love it. I don't want to end up with an engine failure (as in total dead engine) and getting lumped with a bill because a manufacturer doesn't want to admit they've made a mistake, although in a way they have but are getting away with it

Well that is all nonsense from them.

3.6 litres of engine oil @ 857 grams a litre is only 3085.2 grams.

then when they drop the oil once having taken the engine up to operating temperature,

they still do not get it all out, so the start weight is less than 3085.2 grams.

so did they start with over 4 litres of oil in the engine,

and manage to take all that out and weigh it?

I take it you had a Technician that thought the engine was a 4.2 litre capacity.

*** 4 X 857 grams = 3428 grams **

4.1 x 857 grams = 3513 grams

** To drain the oil after the test and get 3240 grams, that is 3.78 litres**

'Fail' on the people doing the Test.

Contact Skoda UK Customer Services,

ask them to forward a copy of how the Oil Consumption Test should be done, 

the Oil Capacity of your car & the Weight of Engine Oil.

I was looking for something like this as mine goes in saturday to get its results cheers :)

Goodluck gritdog88 i hope you get a resolution :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So after skoda uk customer services saying no to authorising work on my car, me asking it to be passed on to the escalation team and them also saying no. Looks like i will have to live with the car as it is

Is this a decision received in writing from a Skoda UK Customer Services Customer Services Manager.?

Which one?

You might as well name him or her.

We know of John Good, Tom Chadwick, Dan Wilson, Caroline so who signed this letter,

there was another member that received in writing that 1 litre for 1000 km was within tolerances.

So since the Official Oil Consumption Test was carried out, 

how many miles have you covered, and how much oil has been required to keep the oil at the level you received the car back with 

an oil level check showing?

Once they have decided that Skoda UK do not accept that there are issues with excessive oil consumption, that is not the end of things,

they often have come to that decision from Test Results, but if the cars engine uses excess Oil you can have an Independent Experts Investigation done to the Engines Oil use, 

and charge Skoda UK for the cost of this if remedial action is required to make the vehicle of merchantable quality.

Edited by goneoffSKi

As I understand it, your oil consumption test showed that you were using less than ½ litre of oil per 1,000 kilometres. Sadly that is within Skoda's acceptable limits so it is probably inevitable that they will not take any action - AT THE MOMENT! You say that you have one year left on your warranty. Maybe your car will end up outside Skoda's acceptable limits?

Meantime, I would suggest that you should not do anything that might void your warranty - which is where this thread started.

Just to be clear, because vxh26 keeps talking about what he understands is the case, and he only understands what someone told him.

Many Twincharger Owners have had actions taken and Warranty Work where the engine used excessive oil,

but the test did not show it as using 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles)

Cars have had Updated Breather Pipe & Valves and a Software Update, and more recently Replacement Oil Spray Jets.

There are also Engines that have been replaced where an Official Test gave a result of 0.31 Litres per 1000 km of oil used.

Quite a few Tests show this amount of Oil Use, due to the Test and Mileage which is done.

Many show just less than 0.5 litre as they calculate the oil used, several 0.48l /1000km

So a Result showing that an engine uses less then 1 litre for 1,242 miles does not mean Skoda UK can just take no action.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/252759-fabia-vrs-oil-fix

30 pages and probably far to many posts to go through,

but many are from owners with genuine issues, and excessive oil use, and Oil Consumption Tests 

and knock backs, and tests wrongly carried out, and giving inaccurate results.

The issue is not overblown online, out of only 1,800 odd CAVE vRS in the UK 

even a few engines going wrong would have shown clearly the issues, 

but replacement engines have required replacing, as have the newer CTHE Engines,

and now some of these are requiring modifying with replacement Oil Spray Jets.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Just to be clear, because vxh26 keeps talking about what he understands is the case, and he only understands what someone told him.

<SNIP>

Whereas you just make stuff up as you storm angrily through life ;)

Incidentally, how are you getting along with translating the Skoda Fabia Owner's Manual into Pidgin' English and correcting all the hidden mistakes?

Come on now. what have i been making up?    

What untruths have i been telling?   I am as happy as Larry going through my boring life.

What is you interest in the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Engines, and what knowledge of them have you gathered since joining this forum other than from this and other forums and online.?

Any actual facts you can bring us from VW or Skoda or from working with or servicing these engines or cars,

have you found where the oil filter is now & looked at a dipstick other than in a owners manual diagram ?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1