Driving mode possible failure

This is a strange one. I mostly drive in normal or eco mode but occasionally I'll have a play in sport mode. Yesterday I drove home in sport mode and it seemed fine, I drove to work this morning still in sport but the car didn't feel as responsive, it felt normal. When I got in the car to come home today it felt almost sluggish until I selected normal then sport mode and the throttle response came back. It seems that on occasion when the car is restarted the engine management is in normal but steering still in sport and sport shows in the corner of the bolero screen. Looks like another problem for my dealer to take a look at to go with my rattly engine, creaking seat and air con compressor that sounds like a strimmer.

Thanks andyvee for the quick response. That puts my mind at ease. Forgot to state I have a 1.4 tsi estate, manual.

Normal throttle is the best modulated anyway...on a diesel at least.

I tend to have mine in individual all the time....sport steering, normal throttle and eco AC. I find sport works well when at motorway speeds and you want slightly quicker throttle pickup but find that under acceleration through the gears once you hit max throttle its like it drops back to 90% go and is holding back a little....like someone has put up an airbrake or something.

Normal works for me.

According to the Owners Manual page 161, "The set driving mode remains stored even after switching the ignition on and off."

Is this just a DSG phenomenon? I've not noticed this on manual versions Octavia or Leon either - that said 100% throttle in all modes is the same :D

According to the Owners Manual page 161, "The set driving mode remains stored even after switching the ignition on and off."

What it should say is "The set driving mode if normal remains stored even after switching the ignition on and off"

It doesn't store the other modes except for steering weight assistance.

What it should say is "The set driving mode if normal remains stored even after switching the ignition on and off"

It doesn't store the other modes except for steering weight assistance.

...and Sound Generator volume ...and AFS sensitivity ...and as stated before in manual cars the throttle response / sensitivity too.

I thought it was only the sport mode on the DSG box that reverted to normal mode, not the throttle sensitivity.  As others have stated, when DSG is in sport mode it shifts at higher RPM which is not desirable when the engine / gearbox is cold.  In the manual versions the throttle response / sensitivity remains the same but you would generally shift at lower RPM until the fluids are at operating temps.

Edited by Black_Sheep

On my Golf MK7 it retains the "individual mode" after ignition off, well has done for the past 6 months, & I have mine with steering & throttle set to sport & everything else set to normal, & it's manual.......

I'm definately sure the DSG will not stay in Sport Mode after engine turn off be that actual Sport Mode or Sport Mode setting within the Individual Mode setup, the car will start with D1 gearing although, the DSG will retain an actual Eco Mode or Eco Mode setting within the Individual Mode setup.

However, the throttle responce is more difficult to be certain of in my experience.

• Like 1