Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

Seems like SEAT have decided the best way to overcome the compatibility issues is by offering a free phone with each car. http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/first-drive-review-seat-ibiza-2015/

To quote the reviewer this doesn't seem to be a total success.

"I didn't try that well-known gesture involving two fingers, because I suspect Seat ConnectApp is too polite to understand. Actually there were quite a lot of things I didn't try, because I couldn't get them to work and neither could a Seat technician. But they looked good in the film shown to journalists."

I wouldn't assume Smartlink on the Fabia is going to be any better than Mirrorlink but we will soon find out.

• Like 1

Seems like SEAT have decided the best way to overcome the compatibility issues is by offering a free phone with each car. http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/first-drive-review-seat-ibiza-2015/

To quote the reviewer this doesn't seem to be a total success.

"I didn't try that well-known gesture involving two fingers, because I suspect Seat ConnectApp is too polite to understand. Actually there were quite a lot of things I didn't try, because I couldn't get them to work and neither could a Seat technician. But they looked good in the film shown to journalists."

I wouldn't assume Smartlink on the Fabia is going to be any better than Mirrorlink but we will soon find out.

That's a free phone AND the new radio as well though, including CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirrorlink. So clearly just a deal sweetner.

• Like 1

That's a free phone AND the new radio as well though, including CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirrorlink. So clearly just a deal sweetner.

A deal sweetener maybe, but at least it takes the compatibility question away completely though.

That's what Skoda are so scared of, telling people the wrong info, so they jut say "have a look at the Mirrorlink website - it's ace!"

Strap on a big pair of man balls Skoda, it's an average system (pre week 22 certainly) that has been rushed into cars, which is why the execution is so damn poor.

All other cars manufacturers are launching their systems that are compatible with Android Auto and Apple Carplay from the start.

Hold you hands up, learn your lesson and move on - so that we can all get on with enjoying our cars.

• Like 3

Has it been determined that the upgrade issue is hardware based or is it just firmware?

if its just the latter the Skoda really are being awkward. 

Saying that it won't be long i imagine until someone can release on unofficial firmware that can flash ourselves.

Has it been determined that the upgrade issue is hardware based or is it just firmware?

if its just the latter the Skoda really are being awkward. 

Saying that it won't be long i imagine until someone can release on unofficial firmware that can flash ourselves.

Skoda are saying it's hardware, and they can't just drop a new unit in.

Make of that what you will.

(cough cough rubbish cough cough)

• Like 2

Not sure if it is well known but Skoda have put out a flyer to there Dealerships I believe (today) that gives the following information;

Following the launch of the Fabia there are 2 types of infotainment system dependent on when the car was built;

1 From launch up to & including build week 21/2015 all SE & SE L models were fitted with MirrorLink. The option of SmartGate has also been available as a chargeable option.

2 from build week 22/2015 all SE & SE L models were fitted with SmartLink which incorporates MirrorLink, Apple car Play and Android Auto. The option of SmartGate remains available as a chargeable option.

I could not copy the list for some reason but the notice then goes on to give models of compatible phones and also tells you to check via www.mirrorlink.com although I was told by Skoda that if it was not Skoda UK it did not count.

Hope this is oh help  

I talked to my dealer here in Norway today, he said it is not possible to replace the old player with the new one because some new electronics,He also said that it does not work with Amundsen on pre week 22, but Skoda could buy me a htc phone that works with mirrorlink

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to contribute something to this thread as I'm in the same situation.

The situation is clear that we early buyers are stuck with a MirrorLink installation that only supports 4 smartphones (Android Kitkat 4.4) with no planned updates based on the VW group announcement.

• HTC One (M8)
  • Sony Experia Z2
  • Sony Experia Z3
  • Sony Experia Z3 Compact

Dealers offer different information or are asked to avoid the issue. And it's clear that the MirrorLink- , Skoda compatibility - and Skoda software update websites are providing the wrong information.

In my case I only wanted to have a cheap GPS solution, but now we need to invest +/- 10% of the car cost to fix the issue (phone + software)

This leaves us with some remaining options and I would like to check them with all of you in order to negotiate with my dealer to fix the problem.

1/ Can we install SmartLink?

2/ What's the cost to replace the Bolero unit by the Amundsen system ( announced for 06/2015) ?

3/ We can install the Pioneer GPS module for Bolero as proposed to me 

http://navishop.nl/pioneer-skoda-octavia-navigatie-upgrade-bolero-systeem-p-16781.html

I guess this solution will be a lot better then MirrorLink anyway due to stable software, screen usage, map updates, phone is available when using build in GPS, warranty and support.

4/ Is it a good idea to wait for a possible software solution (MirrorLink + Skoda)?

5/ File a complaint and see if Skoda will react by providing software or hardware fixes.

In the end we can just all use an external smartphone connected to the dashboard  :no:

It's a fantastic car but this problem just made our car outdated from the start without GPS, so it's a bad investment

PS: I also have issues with my Samsung GS2 (I know its kinda old) when using the Bluetooth A2DP audio stream profile, the sound is muted on the car after a few seconds (also every time after un-muting), anyone else with this issue?

Do not forget to enjoy the car  :notme:

• Like 1

I have an old HTC Sensation XE does not work with mirrorlink but the hands free phone and music through Bluetooth is fine. I have put music on an SD card and have a TomTom satnav. Is it worth spending 500 on a phone + 75 for the software, which has some very bad reviews, on a system Skoda may no longer support.

I had a fabia estate for 8.5yrs and was very happy with it so decided to stay with Skoda and an updateable infotainment system was a bonus wish I had waited another 6 months before ordering. If I keep this car for the same length of time the residual value will be so low it won't make any difference what infotainment system is in ☺ Joe

• Like 1

The only way to make this go away Skoda is to fix it . Give us early adapters a free phone and A Sat nav app.Simples

The cost for skoda would be the same as to install the Pioneer GPS solution into the car.

This way the residual value of the car will be higher and our car will not be treated as the <CW 22 version, imagine you would like to sell this car in a few years and need to deal with >CW 22 cars.

So better keep the car as long as possible.

Better go for a solution that keeps its value than invest into an unstable software solution based on long update/upgrade cycles without certified applications.

Android car will take over and MirrorLink is already dead and buried. It's maybe time to accept that this technology has failed, Skoda knows this and VW group also.

But I agree that some sort of compensation is required.

• Like 3

I hardly think it's going to render the car worthless just because you can't view a smartphone based sat nav map.

I'm waiting for mine to be shipped from Germany so know it will be pre week 22 build but so long as I can stream music and make/receive calls I'm happy.

The dealer also said that they are aware of the problem and were waiting for an official release from Skoda so it may be rectified in time.

• Like 1

If skoda dont present a reasonable solution is retrofitting a new stereo that actually does what you want it too possible in such a new car?

As an expensive example a Pioneer AVIC-F77DAB could that be done or is it unlikely that parts such as a facia kit would be available for the new fabia yet?

I've never changed such an item so any knowledge is appreciated.

I really agree with you Gazbull17. I keep following this thread with great interest and take my hat off to those fighting the corner for us consumers, but its a struggle I can't bring myself to join. The car works, really well! Well enough (reliability permitting) to challenge the Polo for the top spot of "residual value" cars for the second hand market. Its better than the Polo.

Some several pages earlier I referred to my Copilot, and someone misunderstood me to mean the Nav software called "Copilot" (yep I do use that software on my phone - have had it for years, vital for the motorcycle, and it is brilliant). No, I was referring to the helpful person sat in the passenger seat who can spend the entire journey fiddling with screens and swearing at Mirrorlink problems while I get on with the driving... And that's why for me, the absense of Sat Nav software on a screen I have to look DOWN at to see, can never be the deal-breaker it is for some.

• Like 1

My Monte came with satnav as standard and I could probably count on one hand where I actually needed to use it, having said that it was brilliant having it there in the car and appearing on the Maxidot.

I can understand if you do a lot of travelling and may rely on a sat nav that Mirrorlink will be sh1te for this but I'm more interested in streaming music and the Arkemys Surround Sound system which isn't affected by Mirrorlink.

I'm behind everyone on this issue with Mirrolink but it wasn't a deal breaker for me, I do hope though that Skoda at least try to do something about it, they were great with the pulling to the left my Monte used to suffer with so let's wait and see.

• Like 1

So..........

Thursday comes and goes without my promised call from Skoda UK about the conference call with the factory.

I can't say that I am that surprised, but even if there was no news, then at least tell me.

Skoda's customer service seems to be imploding day by day.

The Mirrorlink (Mirrorgate?) saga rumbles on.

• Like 1

The only way to make this go away Skoda is to fix it . Give us early adapters a free phone and A Sat nav app.Simples

why would people want a phone they may not want or select just because it works with mirror link and a single sat nav app?

many people are very fussy about phones etc

• Like 1

why would people want a phone they may not want or select just because it works with mirror link and a single sat nav app?

many people are very fussy about phones etc

Blue car that is the way that Seat are trying to solve the situation or did you not read the post earlier in the thread,it was just my poor attempt at humour .

If you did you will see what I have tried another phone and decided it was not worth the Extra expense for such a small amount of apps that worked how ever flakey they were .Skoda need to sort this out, to regain the trust of their customers .

• Like 1

SKODA UK UPDATE:

The latest from Skoda seems to be that they want to give us pre week 22 guys a free Garmin Satnav, she did tell me which model, but I was at work and couldn't take the details. 

This would be available through the dealer network.

Please give me your views on this.

Is this a good offer as far as YOU would be concerned?

What offer would be acceptable to you?

I have given her my opinion, which I will keep to myself, so as to not influence anyone.

Fire away!

I'd be saying get stuffed if I'd paid for something which didn't work and had been palmed off a cheap sat nav they'd bought in bulk at a discount..

I'd be talking in the same vein. A cheap sat nav (that to be honest is far inferior to Google Maps ONLINE Software) is by no means a solution.

• Like 2