1.4 TDI - 3 Cylinder Engine Noise Insulator

Underneath the engine cover there is a flimsy black four sided piece of insulation which seem to disintegrate into dust - Has anyone got a spare available in good usable condition.

DB

Local garage threw mine away when I last took it in! I was a bit miffed, but it doesn't seem to make much difference really. Let me know if you find a source...

I had a fuel leak from the return flexi hose, and left cover  off for a few months. I never noticed any difference in engine noise. ( BTW- if you go to a stealer, they WILL not change just the flexi pipe, but want to replace all the fuel piping, from filter to engine. last estimate was £160 for parts and similar for labour. Flexi pipe from AUDI TPS = FLEXIBLE FUEL PIPE CUT TO LENGTH. Cost a motor factor was 50p.

VWD it's not the engine cover I am after, it's the foam insulation that fits around the outside of the cam cover which is underneath the engine cover.

DB.

Edited by mogwye

I'm not convinced it makes a great deal of difference in terms of sound deadening to be honest. I got a roll of vibe sound deadening off a clearance table at halfords to have a blue Peter style effort at replacing the engine cover sound deadening on my VRS. Not sure I've noticed any real difference really. On the VRS you don't appear to be able to buy the foam separate so shy of buying a new engine cover this was the only option. Sorry I'm not sure what it looks like on yours.

This is what I did, I did read other people doing it on various VAG forums, although arguably it was a tenner down the drain lol

Just be careful running an engine cover without the foam because it might rub on stuff (hence the foam pad on the boost pipe side of mine to stop the cover running on the boost pipe where it comes out of my egr delete.

20150606_162215_zpsrxms277j.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

I'm not convinced it makes a great deal of difference in terms of sound deadening to be honest. I got a roll of vibe sound deadening off a clearance table at halfords to have a blue Peter style effort at replacing the engine cover sound deadening on my VRS. Not sure I've noticed any real difference really. On the VRS you don't appear to be able to buy the foam separate so shy of buying a new engine cover this was the only option. Sorry I'm not sure what it looks like on yours.

This is what I did, I did read other people doing it on various VAG forums, although arguably it was a tenner down the drain lol

Just be careful running an engine cover without the foam because it might rub on stuff (hence the foam pad on the boost pipe side of mine to stop the cover running on the boost pipe where it comes out of my egr delete.

20150606_162215_zpsrxms277j.jpg

Would have been more effective if you stuck it to the underside of the bonnet skin,  but whatever u would still run the risk of this stuff peeling off in time due to heat exposure weakening the adhesive.

Better would be to stick the stuff to the firewall, but im guessing that's possibly a bit more work involved lifting up carpets and dismantling bits of trim

The bonnet already has a layer of sound deadening and this was purely to try and replicate whatever value the OEM foam sound deadening added to the engine cover. Same with the firewall, sound deadening is already there. Plus even if this wasn't the case you'd need 5 times the amount to cover those areas.

That stuff has been on 6 months/ 15000 mile and isn't going anywhere, it is the stickiest stuff known to man and wouldn't come off with anything shy of a blow torch (it is heat, oil and water resistant) so it is more than suitable for this application.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say this is a brilliant idea, or even a good one, it was just a bit of trial and error to resurrect a completely nackered engine cover. Has it achieved anything? That the jury is out on, but it cost £10 and 20 minutes of time and was cheaper than the alternative which was buy a new engine cover from TPS for circa £80 with a brand new piece of foam attached. Although I'm not sure it really looks it in the picture, it does actually look quite neat in the flesh and doesn't shower the engine bay in powder as the foam get old and tired.

The bonnet already has a layer of sound deadening and this was purely to try and replicate whatever value the OEM foam sound deadening added to the engine cover. Same with the firewall, sound deadening is already there. Plus even if this wasn't the case you'd need 5 times the amount to cover those areas.

That stuff has been on 6 months/ 15000 mile and isn't going anywhere, it is the stickiest stuff known to man and wouldn't come off with anything shy of a blow torch (it is heat, oil and water resistant) so it is more than suitable for this application.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say this is a brilliant idea, or even a good one, it was just a bit of trial and error to resurrect a completely nackered engine cover. Has it achieved anything? That the jury is out on, but it cost £10 and 20 minutes of time and was cheaper than the alternative which was buy a new engine cover from TPS for circa £80 with a brand new piece of foam attached. Although I'm not sure it really looks it in the picture, it does actually look quite neat in the flesh and doesn't shower the engine bay in powder as the foam get old and tired.

You don't actually need to 100% cover off a panel for the sound deadening to make an effect.  

Even a fair sized square piece of sound deadening in the middle of a panel is enough to quiet down the harmonics. 

If you have a look on the inside of a boot lid/door skin/boot floor,   you will see the manufacturer will often have just a square bit of deadening here or there.

If you go to the length of removing that small bit of sound deadening, you'll actually hear quite a difference to road noise.

So what I'm saying is, you don't need to have covered the entire underside of the bonnet skin to get some percieable benefits,    and yes there's a bonnet carpet there, but you can still place sound deadening to the skin and refit the carpet.

I've just ordered the sound deadening pad that clips to the underside of the bonnet. Also ordered the retaining clips. Probably won't make a lot of difference but I want to fit one anyway.

^ Just fitted the bonnet sound insulation pad I got off ebay. They'd folded it twice to pack it which isn't ideal but it still looks OK.

If anyone's considering fitting one of these on a car that doesn't have one, it's worth noting that the orange bonnet stay retaining clip is different in order to cater for the thickness of the insulation pad.

009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...