How to set headlights for European driving

I have been trying to set my headlights for driving on the right hand side of the road when we drive down to Spain starting this Sunday.

I thought there was a setting in Columbus but I can't find it.

There is a reference in the manual to having a dealer make the setting although it states that an adjustment is possible with Xenon lights.

My car is the L & K which has bi-xenon lights so I assume that I should be able to adjust myself without having to take the car to a dealer.

Can anyone help me before I start out for France early Sunday morning.

As andyvee said, the car does it by itself.

But to do it manually, car -> settings -> lights. Its an option in there for lhd/rhd.

Hi Andy,

As always you know the answers. You would have been given a knighthood by now if you were a public servant !!

I therefore assume that once we cross the Channel the GPS recognises we're in mainland Europe so that's great.

You have saved me a trip to our nearest Skoda dealer on a Saturday morning which might be testing them a bit.

Thanks

Hi Gromle,

Thanks for your input.

I found the suggestion you mention in the user manual but when I went on Columbus that option was not available.

Don't worry about it, the car will do it for you from your GPS position.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Will it alter the speedo/fuel  into KPH/KPH from MPH/MPG by the GPS location.

Even so the light swap over is just "Simply Clever"

Don't worry about it, the car will do it for you from your GPS position.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If you are travelling to Spain via Portsmouth to Santander / Bilbao it may take several minutes for the SatNav to recognise that you are in a new country when you arrive (and thus swap the light mode); if it throws a real wobbly then the nav unit may show that you are in Wolfsburg, Germany.  Don't worry it will soon clear once you are on the move; just make sure that you know where you are going when you first leave the port! 

Will it alter the speedo/fuel  into KPH/KPH from MPH/MPG by the GPS location.

No it doesn't, nor does it swap rear fog lights from right to left, but a good point...

In CAR >> Setup >> Units and Measurement, you can set speed to kmh - this will then give large digital 'kmh' speed in the maxidot screen which is far easier to read than kmh on the dial.

• Like 1

No it doesn't, nor does it swap rear fog lights from right to left, but a good point...

In CAR >> Setup >> Units and Measurement, you can set speed to kmh - this will then give large digital 'kmh' speed in the maxidot screen which is far easier to read than kmh on the dial.

Don't supose it moves the steering wheel to the other side  :notme:  Now that would be " Simply Clever "

• Haha 1

As andyvee said, the car does it by itself.

But to do it manually, car -> settings -> lights. Its an option in there for lhd/rhd.

I think the option in Maxidot is called 'tourist mode' for the lights...

If it was Simply Clever you wouldn't need to take it to a dealer to get halogen lights adjusted (which are still what most people have).

I think the option in Maxidot is called 'tourist mode' for the lights...

Possible. Mine is in Norwegian, so Im just guessing what the translation would be.

Hi to all.

I have now driven through France and Spain and can confirm that soon after turning on the ignition a message comes up on the maxi dot screen stating that the lights have been changed for driving on the right hand side of the road so thanks to everybody for your input.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, yes. Normal lights are supposed to be adjusted by a dealer. Simply Stupid. I think most people just stick some tape over a random bit of the headlight and hope for the best. I've not taken my Focus further than the Channel Islands, so it's not something I've had to deal with yet.

Used to really appreciate how it only took a few minutes to flat beam the Mk2 lights whenever I crossed the Channel & not necessary to stick anything over the lens.  Didn't realise until reading threads on here that it's not possible with the MK3 halogens.  Agree 'Simply Stupid'.