Octavia VRS TDI Engine Noise

Good afternoon,

I have a VRS TDI 2014 and the engine is quite loud. I know it' a diesels so i'm not expecting it to be quiet but it sounds like a van.

Is this normal?

Video for reference; 

Edited by kylelcfc

2014 ? 

I like the colour.

Yeah 2014 :D

Could someone please video the sound of theirs so I can compare? mine is rather loud :( runs fine though! but just seems too loud.

I have the car booked in for the 23rd for a tapping noise on start up, so will bring this loud engine noise up  :thumbdown:

There's a black and white film of Cody flying on Laffan's Plain just before it nose dived into the ground. His engine sounded similar.

Or was it Orville Wrights...sounds much the same.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Good afternoon,

I have a VRS TDI 2014 and the engine is quite loud. I know it' a diesels so i'm not expecting it to be quiet but it sounds like a van.

Is this normal?

Video for reference; 

Mine sounds exactly the same

• 2 months later...

Fair enough: i dont know if im going mad now and making up noises that were always there, the engine note seems different to me now, not as refined, but again, im prob going mad as the constant RATTLE from passenger side is driving me CRAAAAZZZZY!

The TDI's get a bit noisier as they age and put on miles.

My 2.0 TDI 150 and GTD Golf 184 have done well over 20k miles and both are not overly quiet at idle and occasionally sound a bit tappety but mostly when cold or havent been run for a day or two.....I suspect thats more down to oil draining right out of the head and it taking a short while to get fully lubricated.

My 150 TDI I have had from brand new and whilst still smooth and relatively speaking quiet for a diesel it is notably louder than it was when I first got it.

• Like 1

Did 60k km in a Leon FR184 before the RS and it was pretty quiet at the start, by the time I traded it in it was noticeably noisier. Never mentioned it to them but it really changed considerably over time.

• Like 1

They just loosen up over time and get a touch noisier...only really descernable at idle and lower RPMs in lower gears.

I've had a couple of 1.9 PD and several 2.0 TDI PD/CR powered VAG cars over the years and they've all been the same.

I think the difference is new the CR motors are v quiet and as they bed in and get a bit noisier its mor obvious than it was with the older, more agricultural PD cars.

I also think the 184 is a bit noisier than the 150 anyway; probably because of its bigger injectors.

My GTD has much better interior noise suppression than the Mk3 Octavia Elegance I also own so that rather addresses the balance.