Noisy engine on tickover ? any ideas

emotive69

OK - my 110 TDI 4x4 has been superb so far and now coming up to 45k , all was going well had a service oil change etc a few hundred miles back

Now on tickover there is a rattling noise from the engine , it goes away with the slightest touch to the throttle or if i put the clutch down , cant notice anything when driving different only when at a standstill. It does it whether hot or cold and from first start or after a longer drive.

Any ideas or tests i can do ? the guy who did the service i asked and he wants to put it on a machine which obviously is going to cost and I am not convinced yet if it needs that , my own first thought was glow plugs but not sure that fits with the clutch depression stopping the noise.

Thank you

Andy

I was with the guy when he did the service and he put the correct VW spec oil in or so he said - it was in a generic container though so hard to tell , could the wrong oil cause that issue ?

Weasley , any way of telling if its the flywheel ? I am guessing that would not show up on a diagnostic machine ...

cheers all :)

Been looking at the flywheel info on the net and the symptoms sound right , the cars only done 45k though surely it should last longer than that ! its not driven hard and does not do off road , mainly motorway and longer runs but some school runs too.

I had a DMF go on a VW Touran at 18,000 miles. The replacemnet failed at about 68,000 ie the second clutch and flywheel assembly lasted 50,000 miles.

The first failure was rapid and felt like a bag of gravel. VW "confiscated" the car on the spot. The second came and went over a period of 4 months, sounding like a bag of gravel. With a projected VW bill of £1200 I went with a well respected independant garage and a single p[late replacement for about £700. This was not as smooth but it was a no brainer on a 10 year old car.

Colin

Well the chances of affording a masssive repair at the moment are nil so I am going to have to be a bit careful with the old girl, is the flywheel likely to just give up the ghost or is it a gradual thing ? any ideas around the Teesside area who might be good to go for good prices ?

Hi. The symptoms described exactly match those I experienced with my Golf 1.9 TDI 130 a number of years ago at about 100,000 miles. My daughter has 'inherited' that car and it has now completed around 160,000 miles; the same clutch is still noisy at tick-over, but has not given any other problems at all.

I would only be concerned if there is a history of catastrophic failures with these DMF units - I am not aware this is the case UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT!

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

• 1 month later...

Sounds similar to our 1.2 Yeti - this was the timing chain which messed up the engine and we now have a £3000 bill!

Please get that checked out in case.

As the OP has a TDI not   a TSI it is unlikely to be the chain it has a belt,  you did this months ago flooding the forum with posts about your timing chain  :dull:  :dull:  :dull:  :dull:

Edited by wakev
  • Like 1

Sounds similar to our 1.2 Yeti - this was the timing chain which messed up the engine and we now have a £3000 bill!

Please get that checked out in case.

Stop being a troll and posting the same message on every thread!!

Sound like it might simply be the slack of the 'idler' gear when you have the clutch down which lets it 'float' making a lose metallic noise.

If so, it's a noise typical of old age and called character.

I've developed creaky knees.

As the OP has a TDI not   a TSI it is unlikely to be the chain it has a belt,  you did this months ago flooding the forum with posts about your timing chain  :dull:  :dull:  :dull:  :dull:

Yes and he/she fails to answer any data questions about the car.