Amundsen and iPods

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Octavia Elegance, and have a couple of questions about the Amundsen and iPod connections.

I have plugged my iPod Classic 80GB, and it just starts charging and doesn't connect, this is with a standard Apple cable.

I have also tried an old iPod Mini, and a non-apple cable with both and the same happened.

The USB connector is the one next to the Aux socket below the head unit, and there isn't one in the arm rest.

When I called the dealership the first person I spoke to indicated that to work I had to have a connection in the arm rest as this would show that the MDI unit was connected and without that it wouldn't work.

I called back to talk to the original salesman today had he said that it should work with the standard USB socket and if it doesn't it is because the iPod doesn't support USB audio and that there is no MDI option on the current generation of Octavias. I know that it does audio over USB as I have used it in several cars and at least 3 different head units in the past.

Can someone please let me know if it is the lack of an MDI or if Skoda are putting out cars that can only use iPods made in the last year or so?

Many thanks,

Barnaby

If you want to control and play music from an iPod/iPhone/iPad you needed to have specced the additional Mitsumi (MDI) plug which replaces the standard USB.  The USB will read 'memory' devices like USB sticks and search for files and folders to read which is not how the Apple devices store and organise the music which is why you can charge but not play music.

I opted for the Mitsumi and my old 60gb Ipod Video works fine this way.

I think the only way forward would be a retrofit as I'm sure the plugs/fittings could be swapped behind the disc unit in the glove box..... something I did in my old Yeti and thought about for my VRS but got MDI anyway!

Thanks for the replies, as I got it as nearly new I didn't have chance to do the specification. I asked if it had fulll iPod control and was told it did.

So you can imagine that I am a bit un-impressed to find that it doesn't, and then to be told that it is becaue my iPod is too old and doesn't work with audio over USB (which it does).

So it sounds like I need to keep pushing the dealer to get them to retro fit the mitsumi interface, as they are the ones that said it would work.

Now the bigger ask, does anyone have the part number, or can you point me at the options list so I can show the salesman?

I'm not sure how easy it will be to retrofit, but you do definitely need a mitsumi to play audio from an iPod.

I'd definitely complain to the dealer and see what they say, but the real world practical answer may be to dump your itunes library onto a memory stick.

It's an Amundsen right? Just get the dealership to pay for a 128GB SD card which you hide away into the glove box. It's the most elegant solution. Not sure why you'd want the iPod connected by wire to the dash when you have the SD card option.

They WILL say anything to sell a car.

You don't need any part numbers, they now what the MDI interface is, after all they will probably have sold enough of them.

Typical sales, once they have your money in their bank it's on to the next customer.

If you say your car is 6 months old then this is what is stated in the March 2015 brochure, so it would have been in previous brochures.

The £100 option as stated in the brochure,

Mitsumi Apple device connection, Allows Apple devices to be controlled through the car's touchscreen system.

This replaces the USB and aux-in port. Additional connection cable is required, available through your dealer.

On the Infotainment page it also informs Apple users they either use Bluetooth or swap the USB and aux-in for the Mitsumi socket.

The sales guy lied.

I had MDI fitted in my Yeti and then purchased an original Skoda cable off ebay for 1/3 the dealer price...£8. Do I use it, NO, I find one 32gb SD card much easier/better. Your vehicle should have 2 slots in the glovebox.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I have an Audible subscription, so I need something that works with their DRM (anti-copying protection).

And that means if I want to be able to control it through the media unit it has to be an iPod.

I specifically mentioned this after the test drive, as it is quite important to me.

Just out of interest this Mitsumi - is it even an option anymore. Didn't even appear on the options list when I ordered.

The latest versions of the Amundsen and Bolero have a slightly larger screen and the ability to control an iPod built in as standard.

I have an Audible subscription, so I need something that works with their DRM (anti-copying protection).

And that means if I want to be able to control it through the media unit it has to be an iPod.

I specifically mentioned this after the test drive, as it is quite important to me.

This might help.

Or Google fitting an MDI connector into a Skoda

Dr Zoidberg, how can I confirm which version of the Amundsen I have, it is a December 2014 registered car?

It's definitely the original one you have - the new Amundsens are only appearing on cars built in the last few weeks.

Maybe the Infotainment should have been a pinned topic in Technical Info section being updated as each model comes out.

As I had said to the salesman that I would test with a modern iPod/iPhone I borrowed my colleagues iPhone 5s and with that plugged in via the USB connector the same happens.

As expected the fan community knows more than the official source.

At least I can go back now and say that either it is faulty and they need to fix it under warranty, or as is felt here that it needs the Mitsumi/MDI unit to be installed.

Called and spoke to the sales guy again, and they are booking it in to "investigate" on the 1st of July. 

Hopefully it will come back magically working after this investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

@Plumose the reality is that you need the Mitsumi/MDI connector and that's not there in the car. No amount of investigation from the dealer is going to change that (IMHO they are wasting their own time and money by booking it in, they should just give SUK a call and get their facts straight).

Anyways, does your iPod have Bluetooth? If not you can get a Bluetooth adapter/transmitter for it for not too much money (£10-£30 depending on quality). You should just check whether connecting your iPod over Bluetooth gives you the right level of control from the Infotainment.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the last post was some days ago. Hope above message is still useful to you.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Edited by RB79
  • Like 1

Hi RB79,

My iPod doesn't have Bluetooth and the reason I don't want to use the Bluetooth transmitter (or the aux) is that won't pause the playback when phone calls come in or traffic announcements.

Also the dealer said it would work, so it is up to them to fix it. If to it takes them looking at it to convince them I can live with that.

It is being dropped off this evening and picked up tomorrow evening so I will update again after that.

As expected they have confirmed that it isn't going to work. The salesman isn't in today so I am going to have to wait until tomorrow for the next stage.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been talking to the sales manager and not really gotten any further, but have been in contact with http://vagtec.co.uk/ and they have said that they can retro fit the Mitsumi module.

I have passed this on the to the dealer and am waiting to hear back from them, hopefully as they told me that it would work I can get them to pay for the work...

• 4 weeks later...

I had to escalate to the branch manager, but it looks like I might finally be getting somewhere, even if it was just to shut me up.

They have said that they will pay for the VagTec unit to be fitted.

Once it has been done I will report back again with if it works as expected.

• 1 month later...