Runaway VRS! Help needed!

Hello All,

I've not posted much to the forum before but after a search I can't really find what I'm looking for so I'm after advice or for someone to point me in the right direction.

I had my MK1 Octavia VRS parked on the driveway yesterday, on an incline, handbrake up and placed in first gear..been doing this for months with no issue.

Next thing I know the car Is at the bottom of the street, still in first with the handbrake lower than what I pulled it up to..

The garage today could find no obvious problems and could only conclude that when my brakes cooled this is what made the handbrake give in? So I tried it again this evening with the same procedure previous but I decided to see if the car would hold in first. Sure enough it struggled with the handbrake off and started to build up speed rolling backwards..

The handbrake seems to be holding so far tonight, however I don't want to take any risks.

Has anyone else had this before or know what may be causing:

1. The handbrake to fail

2. First gear not stopping the car rolling back

Many Thanks

Joe

Could have been that the handbrake was resting on a ratchet tooth when you put it on and later it clicked down to sit properly which meant it was a little more slack. Combination of that with cooling brakes could be enough to allow the car to roll. If you're leaving it in gear on a slope it should be a higher gear, I usually use 4th but the higher the better. At least you got the direction right!

Could try adjusting your handbrake as well, should be about 4-6 clicks without the button in. Think the adjusting bolt is under the rear ashtray. Could just be one of those weird things that you hope never happens again with worse consequences!

Combination of that with cooling brakes could be enough to allow the car to roll. If you're leaving it in gear on a slope it should be a higher gear, I usually use 4th but the higher the better. At least you got the direction right!

This is completely backwards, lower gears provide higher resistance.

Edited by amusingduck
  • Like 1

Could have been that the handbrake was resting on a ratchet tooth when you put it on and later it clicked down to sit properly which meant it was a little more slack. Combination of that with cooling brakes could be enough to allow the car to roll. If you're leaving it in gear on a slope it should be a higher gear, I usually use 4th but the higher the better. At least you got the direction right!

Could try adjusting your handbrake as well, should be about 4-6 clicks without the button in. Think the adjusting bolt is under the rear ashtray. Could just be one of those weird things that you hope never happens again with worse consequences!

This seems completely plausible to me.

The other tip I'd suggest is to hold in the HB release button whilst pulling the lever up, then when you release the button, the pual always sits square and full depth on a ratchet tooth.

The other tip I'd suggest is to hold in the HB release button whilst pulling the lever up, then when you release the button, the pual always sits square and full depth on a ratchet tooth.

Also if you press hard on the brake pedal whilst pulling on the handbrake you can add even more force. I once drove my car (VW Passat) to Heathrow for a flight one day and my secretary was to drive the car back as I would be away for some time. Unfortunately I had used this technique as the handbrake was not too good. When she tried to drive off she could not release the handbrake. Several people tried apparently until one man knew that you had to press the footbrake again whilst releasing the handbrake.

Last year the handbrake on my mk1 Octavia slowly became less effective to the point where it would not hold on the steep ramp at a local recycling centre. Local Skoda dealer found both rear calipers sticking. One was cleaned up but the other had to be replaced.

Perhaps this is your incipient problem.

Thanks for the advice all!

The handbrake seems to have held overnight yesterday, unfortunately first gear doesn't save the car if the handbrake fails, the car slowly rolls back, I'll try reverse tomorrow evening.

The garage mentioned my clutch is slipping so this may be why the gear is not holding the car without the handbrake on.. I'll get both the calipers looked at also =)

I don't understand how a car can roll backwards locked in to a FORWARD gear?? :(

I was guessing if I had a slipped clutch then the gear may not be fully biting? Day two on the slope and has been ok!

I don't understand how a car can roll backwards locked in to a FORWARD gear?? :(

I was guessing if I had a slipped clutch then the gear may not be fully biting? Day two on the slope and has been ok!

The gears don't prevent the car from moving, the engine does. If gravity is providing enough force to compress the air in the cylinders, the engine will turn and the car will roll. 

There is nothing to prevent the gears/engine from turning in reverse, which is why a car can roll backwards in first, or forwards in reverse.

I wouldnt leave it in 1st anyways. Could 'bump' itself.

Personally always leave mine in 3rd

I was taught that if you have to bump start a car (these days on your cat be it if you actually do this) to do it in 3rd!

Aside from that, how do you get it to start if the ignition and electric fuel pumps are off and the immobiliser on?

Guest BigJase88

I was taught that if you have to bump start a car (these days on your cat be it if you actually do this) to do it in 3rd!

Aside from that, how do you get it to start if the ignition and electric fuel pumps are off and the immobiliser on?

I've always bumped cars in 2nd. I dont know probably an old wifes tale i have heard

If all else fails, brick behind the wheel? Not the steering wheel; road wheel. I'd forgotten how useful a handbrake is until I replaced both my rear calipers for new ones. Even the foot brake is miles better.

• Like 1

I wouldnt leave it in 1st anyways. Could 'bump' itself.

Personally always leave mine in 3rd

That doesn't make sense! The car has to be rolling to 'bump' itself, and it will have a much easier time rolling away in 3rd than 1st or reverse.

Low gears have a high ratio to make it easier for the engine to turn the wheels. When the wheels are turning the engine (ie - trying to roll away), the reverse is true. Think about engine braking in 5th vs engine braking in 1st, which is more severe? Same principle.

If all else fails, brick behind the wheel? Not the steering wheel; road wheel. I'd forgotten how useful a handbrake is until I replaced both my rear calipers for new ones. Even the foot brake is miles better.

I've had a block of wood just under the front wheel for the last 3 nights, the car hasn't moved an inch though since pulling the handbrake up as high as it will go. Needs adjusting though so i'll find some time to take it to a garage as i'm not too confident in sorting this (although consulting the Haynes book it does look pretty straight forward).

Finger's crossed it was just a one off occurrence as i'll be removing the block of wood in the next day or so. Will mark this thread as resolved, appreciate the help all =) 

I've had mine go once. I normally pull up with the button in but one time it dropped down with a click.

Never been 100% confident in them especially parked on a hill!