Low beeping sound when driving with cruise control

I've been focusing on the sound the last couple of weeks.

The sound isn't only occuring in 6th gear, also in 4th and 5th.

The sound occurs at 1250 rpm, and at 1750 rpm, doesn't matter how fast I'm driving (50 or 80 km/h).

Has anyone found a solution? Or at least any indication from VW/Skoda, that they are aware of the problem?

I will give the best answer I can but I didn't uderstand the mechanics explanation in Swedish let alone be able to translate correctly. They fixed this issue on my Fabia my changing a hose in the engine which had to do with the coal/carbon filter. When you open the bonnet it is on the far left side. The noise occurs at certain rpms as i understand it. I will try to get more understandable info shortly and a picture of what they replaced

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will give the best answer I can but I didn't uderstand the mechanics explanation in Swedish let alone be able to translate correctly. They fixed this issue on my Fabia my changing a hose in the engine which had to do with the coal/carbon filter. When you open the bonnet it is on the far left side. The noise occurs at certain rpms as i understand it. I will try to get more understandable info shortly and a picture of what they replaced

Did it fix the problem?!

I believe you are talking about the canister purge system which is used on Gasoline engines to trap fuel vapour from the tank in a charcoal cannister & then feed it into the engine to be burnt.

• 4 months later...

Same noise comes with 2000rpm´s too. I have it at 80 kmh too.

Also when car is showing to change to higher gear, so it´s not warrning sound.

Probably sound is there always when gas pedal is in certain position, driving noise from tyres etc. just is higher and this problem noise disappear.

Great, did you find out what the part that was replaced is called? No worries if in Swedish

Sorry for upping another thread about this beeping sound, but I'd really like to know what exactly is the root of the problem as I'm hearing the exact same in my Fabia III 1.2 TSI 110 and under the same conditions you've described it.

Have you guys figured anything out?

I really like the car otherwise but this beeping sound is quite annoying and I really wish something could be done about this...

Here are my recordings:

https://vid.me/GS2G

https://vid.me/TKgS

Yes that is exactly the sound I had in my car. Since the fix at VAG the issue has not returned.

Earlier in this thread Gabbo translated my explanation in proper english to be " the canister purge system which is used on Gasoline engines to trap fuel vapour from the tank in a charcoal cannister & then feed it into the engine to be burnt"

The mechanics had recently had the same issue on a golf so he knew what to look, or listen for and it was the same sound. 

Hope this gives a few clues to what to look for. Good luck! oh and do reach out if anything is unclear or there is anything else I can help out with. Briskoda has been a great source of information and helped me several times so if there is anything I can do to help a fellow Briskodian, just reach out.

• Like 2

Yes that is exactly the sound I had in my car. Since the fix at VAG the issue has not returned.

Earlier in this thread Gabbo translated my explanation in proper english to be " the canister purge system which is used on Gasoline engines to trap fuel vapour from the tank in a charcoal cannister & then feed it into the engine to be burnt"

The mechanics had recently had the same issue on a golf so he knew what to look, or listen for and it was the same sound.

Hope this gives a few clues to what to look for. Good luck! oh and do reach out if anything is unclear or there is anything else I can help out with. Briskoda has been a great source of information and helped me several times so if there is anything I can do to help a fellow Briskodian, just reach out.

Thanks for your reply! Is it possible to see this "canister purge system" when you open

Earlier in this thread Gabbo translated my explanation in proper english to be " the canister purge system which is used on Gasoline engines to trap fuel vapour from the tank in a charcoal cannister & then feed it into the engine to be burnt"

Thanks for your reply!

Is it possible to see this "canister purge system" when you open the bonnet so that I could point it out to the mechanic? (If it is, I'd really appreciate if you could indicate it on a picture?) So it's actually the entire system that's the culprit or just a hose/tube in this system that was replaced?

By the way, would they replace it for free under warranty?

I'd also be interested to know if your mechanic mentioned anything about why it would make such beeping sound, and if it's detrimental to the car in any way if it doesn't get fixed soon (my next service is only about 10 months from now)?

Edited by jon15

• 2 weeks later...

My car does this also, its an Octavia 1.2 TSi 110. Noticed it at idle the other day. Not noticed it before. Car is only 3 months old, 1600 miles.

I has this standing at traffic lights with the engine stopped.

Turned off the radio, still beeping, then turned off the Climate Control on the 'Off' button, beeping stops.

So maybe its the fan making strange beeping noises?

Edited by glosrich

I got the charcoal canister hose replaced the other day and the beeping / high pitched noise is now finally gone! The original hose was ribbed (and plastic, I believe), while the new one smooth and made of rubber. The mechanic took the old hose into his hand and blew through it -- and you could hear it produce a loud noise, while blowing through the new hose does not produce any sound (only a slight hush of the air).

Many thanks to the users @kristianRS and @kimmu for the heads-up on this.

I got the charcoal canister hose replaced the other day and the beeping / high pitched noise is now finally gone! The original hose was ribbed (and plastic, I believe), while the new one smooth and made of rubber. The mechanic took the old hose into his hand and blew through it -- and you could hear it produce a loud noise, while blowing through the new hose does not produce any sound (only a slight hush of the air).

Many thanks to the users @kristianRS and @kimmu for the heads-up on this.

Where is the part located? I hope the mechanics understand the English part name but if they don't, I'd like to be sure that I can show them what I'm talking about.

Where is the part located? I hope the mechanics understand the English part name but if they don't, I'd like to be sure that I can show them what I'm talking about.

It should take the mechanic less than a minute to replace the hose (but they'll probably need to order the new one for you first - as they probably don't have spare parts like this). I stood there when he replaced mine, it's really simple.

You can see the hose in the attached pic:

post-136362-0-98223800-1450568739_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jon15
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Confirming the charcoal canister hose fix. Got mine replaced under warranty on Friday and the beeping sound is gone. I was also shown a printout of the details of the service campaign/action/whatever related to this problem (probably fixed only if you complain).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

WV Polo 2015, same noise. I am wondering that I found this topic in the internet. Noise appearing only when the cruise control is turned on. Will go to the dealer with it.

45K Kilometers
~ 80Km/h

This might sound crazy but my wife's Mk.7 VW Golf had exactly what you described. It was eventually traced to the infotainment system and was the same 'beep' that you get when selecting a command on the touch screen. It was cured with a software update. The 'beeps' weren't there with the infotainment system turned off or the 'beep' turned off in the menu.