Low beeping sound when driving with cruise control

I haven't been able to find any other posts about this subject.

I have a Octavia 1,4 140 manual, from January 2015.

When I drive slowly in 6th gear, around 55 km/h on the speedometer, I can hear a very faint, quick beeping noise. Sometimes it also comes when driving faster.

It usually comes, when I am using the cruise control, and stops, when I disengage til cruise control. When I activate again, it doesn't start right away, but comes after a while. I can also get the sound when not using the cruise contol.

Anybody else tried this?

I haven't gone to the dealer yet, as it isn't very easy to replicate.

I think I get this noise as well, but haven't had a chance to investigate yet.  It's a very quiet beeping that sounds a bit like a distant alarm.  My brain tells be its coming from in front of me on the passenger side of my RHD vehicle.  It sounds more like its coming from the engine compartment than the cabin - but this could easily be wrong.

It tends to happen at around 1500rpm give or take a bit and is very sensitive to throttle position: a tiny bit more or less will eliminate the noise.  I've not yet managed to get it 100% repeatable and thus have not taken it to the dealer.

I don't think it can be a "change down" warning as:

• It's so quiet that it's easy to miss if the radio is on
  • When it happens, the gear change indicator shows it is quite happy with my gear choice.
Edited by iriches

I'll have to try it.

It may be the turbo you're hearing. Some tuned turbo cars without blow-off valves create a very pronounced chirping sound with a closed or feathered throttle. Since it happens right when the turbo spools up, at a light throttle, you may be hearing a very muted version of this chirping...

Edited by hobbie2k

I have the same on my 1.2 fabia. The technician at VAG said he had stumbled across this on a golf 1.4 a few weeks ago. It happens when certain conditions eg rpm is met. The solution is to change some hose (is this the right english word?) in the engine. I'm booked for mid next week to change, will report back with more info.

Likely to be the EGR switching between high and low mode.

Does the 1.4 TSI have EGR?  The workshop manual I found on the web suggests not:

EA211%20EGR.png

55km/h (34mph) in 6th really isn't going to be doing the engine any good.  It does warn in the manual against labouring the engine....

Happens around 1500 rpm in my car - which is approx 30 mph in 4th gear.

My wife commented on faint chirping sound apparently from under the bonnet when the car is cruising at a light throttle/low rev situation (1500 ish).

I also get what I call a faint 'falling bomb' whistling sound during in gear deceleration from about 1500 rpm down.

I think it is related to certain manifold vacuum conditions so may be some sort of hose leak but it is not obvious with bonnet up and rev overrun

Same noise as mine!

Try to get your dealer to investigate it. My dealer's technicians don't hear it, so no help from me. There was a Finnish guy who said in my thread that he had the same noise, and he doesn't have a solution either (sent him a private message).

Some observations from me:

• Disappears for a few seconds when the accelerator or brake pedal is depressed, even very briefly.
  • Also exists when in neutral and revs are around 1400-1500 (from memory) - but is even more faint than when driving.
  • Cruise control is not the culprit - the noise appears when driving at a constant speed and revs, no matter if CC engaged. Also not related to AC or other stuff that can be turned off.
  • The engine has to be warm, no noise when cold.
  • Probability of the sound appearing is higher if the weather is warmer.
  • Like 1

Same noise as mine!

I am telling you, I had this on my Fabia but they switched a hose and my wife who test drove it after the change said it is fixed. I will check when I drive to work tomorrow. I can check what it was they changed.

I am telling you, I had this on my Fabia but they switched a hose and my wife who test drove it after the change said it is fixed. I will check when I drive to work tomorrow. I can check what it was they changed.

That would be very useful and much appreciatd

That is the same noise i have. Some driver at Golf forum is saying that WV has service bulletin for this. Changing evap pipe from hard plastic to rubber version is solution.

Not sure is this correct information and no messages after that about if the noise disappeared.

My hearing must be broken, cannot hear anything other than normal ambient noise in the video.

Only thing as mentioned that I can think is that it is a gentle warning to change down a gear, just over idle in 6th at 50kmh is not good for the engine and you could be using more fuel than you would otherwise be in 5th or even 4th.

• Like 1

Same noise comes with 2000rpm´s too. I have it at 80 kmh too.

Also when car is showing to change to higher gear, so it´s not warrning sound.

Probably sound is there always when gas pedal is in certain position, driving noise from tyres etc. just is higher and this problem noise disappear.