Can you change service schedules from fixed to variable before a service?

I'm starting this thread so I can email the link to my dealer.

They have stated that the service schedule cannot be changed unless the car asks for service. Skoda Customer Service agrees with them. But, I have read a few threads on here where people have said their schedule HAD been changed.

Please can those who have swapped schedule without the car asking for a service please comment below!

What is more annoying is that I asked for the car to be on the variable serving before collection of the vehicle and this request was confirmed back to me (in writing) by the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I can't see how, because you need a different oil grade to run variable.

With the note that this conversation took place some 45 years ago, the then Chief Police Mechanic for Dunbartonshire did tell my Dad that if he ever got a new new car, to spend a day driving it around Glasgow, then get the oil and filter changed the next morning as a running-in procedure.

Based on this, I'd recommend always having the oil and filter changed at 1_000 miles or so (and if a dealer argues ask them who's money it is).

Had mine changed from variable to fixed (as company car they want it serviced more regularly) - dealer changed it no problem. On the tdi as you say oil is the same, so just a case of how often the service reminder on the dash is set I believe, and this can be changed by the dealer. 

My car wasn't asking for a service as it would have been at 18.5k miles but I got it done at 11k miles and intervals changed to fixed.

The service intervals it should be set to from factory are stated in the middle of a load of other numbers on the sticker in the boot (at the top left above the spare wheel location) - it is a QI number if its QI1-5 then its supposed to be set to fixed, QI6 is variable.

• Like 1

When I bought my car i requested variable as i'm going to do about 22k to 25k per year and mostly motorway miles.

After about 7k, I was looking to see when the service was due to see the car had been set up for fixed servicing and was due in the next 2k miles

Quick call to dealer and the next time i was passing (150 miles away), it really was a 2 minute job while i had a coffee and a chat to the sales guy that dealt with me. The dealer was very accommodating and helpful.

I can quote dealer and contact if required.

Steve.

Mine was changed last week. the dealer has been neither friendly nor accommodating!

My countdown is now saying 18000 odd miles. It had done 3000 ish miles before the change from fixed to variable intervals. Should I change the oil when the countdown hits 3000 or will the engine re-calibrate the service interval to take into account the oil quality rather than just the time or distance elapsed?

Steve

As I stated elsewhere, all Vrs tsi's at least, come with long life variable service oil.usf to say so in the coding in the front of the service book.not sure where now.

This time it came with 3yrs free service so, my salesman having sold me the last 2 L&K's. Said I'll get this one set to 12 monthly even though it dosent need it. The servicing isn't going to cost you anyway. So they can set as they want. The first car I had changed after pick up,as said they weren't aware of the type of oil in it. You'll find if you deal with the place it was bought from it's much easier