twincharger. when does your car smoke, and why do you think ?

2015 for the future,

Basically the same engine as the 1.8 TSI 180 PS Euro 6 as in the Seat Leon, Audi A3 etc.

Not an old design or components or Map.

Volkswagen can not have another set of Lemons on offer.

(there is hints that the New 2015/16 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 TSI Manual might have more go,

doubt that but it will be interesting to see if they are allowed to.)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

The latest Cooper S Works is the fastest yet though,

it was the Auto i drove 2 weeks ago because that is all they have available.

(all i could drive anyway, Fat, American, Lazy, Disabled, Gay & Jolly., 3 out of 6 is not bad!)

I've ruled out fat, American & lazy. Didn't know you was gay George?

• Like 1

interesting this...

as some of you know, I teach to drive in my car (only a couple of hours a week) , and today on a lesson, with a particularly slow and steady pupil, I got a mahooosive puff of smoke out the back of the car ... and I have seen this (rarely) before, and always in the same circumstances, when its been driven gently for a while, and has been coasting off throttle for a while, and then gentle throttle is applied.... it must have burned some oil during this puff of smoke (there was some blue in it) ...

now, the car is being quite good on oil at the moment, its about 1 litre every 4,000 miles...

its following the same pattern it has before...

when driven hard (recently did a track session and santa pod) it doesn't seem to burn oil at all..... I didn't top up in between, and it stayed high .....

since then I have been away in the eunos, and the vRS has stood, then all its done for a while, is gentle drives to work and back, and driving lessons, and I swear it really doesn't like the gentle life, and it starts to go through oil...

(just checked by the way , and its at the top of the hatch) ....

NOW...

theory's on whats happening?

a friend of mine has a tuned octy that randomly (alway on gentle driving) puffs a big cloud of blue smoke out the back... and it doesn't use oil (so must be a TINY ammount getting in the cylinders) and it seems to be a breather system thats probably at fault there...

however , with mine, because this never happens when driven hard (tracks ect) It seems maybe there is a lack of sealing with the pistins when driven gently , or on ovverun for a long time, which then on throttle application, gives the puff of smoke......

in hard driving there is always a good seal, and no oil  used at all..... (for example last year the trip to the rin, entailed fast driving on autobahns, and hairing round the ring, and fast driving back.... 3,000 miles and NO oil used at all!)

so........

what do we think?

is it a lack of sealing with the pistons?

or is it a breather problem?

NOTE: I'm not too concerned, as a litre every 4,000 miles is fine by me , I'm just wondering if someone with more knowledge than I have can offer a convincing explanation as to whats happening!

after next april when the warrenty is out, I will be starting with the engine, and if there is a weak spot... piston rings for example, I would want to fix that first before begining the process..

I doubt warrenty will be useful at this point, as they simply would not be able to replicate the smoke puff (I have seen it about 5 times in 45,000 miles!) and its not an excessive oil user....

thoughts?

Are we getting confused and too serious here?

Is it Smoke ,SOOT or just good old fashiohed Twincharger RUBBER!!!!!!!! lol

• Like 1

I've ruled out fat, American & lazy. Didn't know you was gay George?

Not that it makes any difference if you are (other sexual orientations are available). We still value your wisdom & opinion. Just thinking back to when I was bent over the bonnet at the Ibis hotel, thats all....

Not that it makes any difference if you are (other sexual orientations are available). We still value your wisdom & opinion. Just thinking back to when I was bent over the bonnet at the Ibis hotel, thats all....

Calm down. I can see youre having too many wishful thoughts

Interesting here the times of Supercars, but the Golf GTI (DSG) & Fiesta ST are interesting because these seem to be the same as you get from them in the UK in real world timings, maybe cooler and different fuel can improve them a bit in the UK.

(Golf GTI / DSG are a bit of a fat lump these days though.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

That was a great 'watch' Camera work was superb

Shame about the American pronunciation on 'Neesarn' but hey - very interesting.

ETA - American fuel is a higher octane that the UK too. 

Well it is where you use higher Octane Fuel and they might have been, so were they all running the Equal or better than 98 Octane.?

you need to check what was being used, Some States might vary, and altitude can reduce the power output.

100-102 ron used in the UK or Mainland Europe certainly gives a bit more performance to the Twinchargers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Out of date for BP / Tesco Momentum / Shell V-Power Nitro etc

Edited by goneoffSKi

That was a great 'watch' Camera work was superb

Shame about the American pronunciation on 'Neesarn' but hey - very interesting.

However, good to hear someone pronounce 'Porsche' correctly (roughly :p).

The Fiesta ST comes with 200PS as standard in the States.

My dirty wee bitch was smoking like a smokie thing this morning as i first booted it,

than did 120 miles at better than 45 miles to the gallon, which is good for something that runs rich.

(they last better than those that go too lean.)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Is that not with the Overboost, same as they have here?

Or on higher Octane Fuel.

(at least they are 5 doors in the US.)

http://ford.com/cars/fiesta/specifications/engine

Same thing happening with the Clio Trophy 220. Overboost to give the higher BHP figures.

Sorry George - you're spot on - in the US they're allowed to quote the overboost figure, but not in EU countries.