Checking brake fluid

Sorry if this is a simple question but I am not very well up in motor mechanics. How do I check the brake fluid level in my 2002 Fabia? I know where the reservoir is for the brake fluid. The handbook says to make sure it is between 'max' and 'min' but I can't see any markings on the side of the reservoir and cannot see through it to ascertain the level anyway.

They are a bit awkward to see, but the markings are on the resevoir.

try spraying some degreaser on the resevoir then power wash/hose off.

• Like 1

Thanks folks for all the advice. I used both suggestions - cleaning the reservoir and using a torch and got a successful result. Thanks again. Can I add be a nuisance for just a bit more - an additional question, still on the subject of brake fluid? The handbook says to use FVSS 116 dot 4. Does this mean I can use any make of fluid from Halfords which is labelled as dot 4, or does it also have to specify the FVSS 116 bit?

Edited by billh65

Also worth checking how much meat is left on brake pads if fluid looks slightly low, as the caliper pistons could be a long way out if pads are low.

If you top it up with pads very low when you come to fit new ones and push the pistons back in calipers you will force the fluid you added back out of the resevoir cap and make a nice mess down the bulkhead.

Thanks again to all. The level is OK at the moment my query about which fluid to buy was for future reference. I appreciate all the good advice regarding pads and calipers too :sun: