VCDS. Which version?

TheWanderer

I'm considering taking the plunge and buying a package, but I was wondering can you get the software for Android or Ipad, as I don't really want the additional expense of a cheap laptop that will only see occasional use.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, which is Android, but is it capable of doing the job?

Or should I bite the bullet & buy a cheapish laptop running Windows 7 for 100 quid or so to do the job?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Basically you have two choices:

HEX+CAN Interface (approx £270) + a windows device that has a USB port (you could buy the Micro-CAN interface that is a little cheaper but it will not work on anything non CANBUS)

HEX-NET (approx £400) & a smartphone / iPad etc this lets you connect to the car wirelessly (via wifi) BUT for coding you will need internet access as all the software codes are stored on the cloud, this can be either with a mobile data allowance or via your home wifi.

Thanks. 

As I won't be dealing with anything older than a 56 plate & my own car, I think the former would be the most appropriate one for me, as where I live 3G is but a pipedream (yep, I'm in Surrey & a black spot!), so the latter isn't an option.

So I guess I'll have to have a look for a lower powered cheap laptop to go with it. Mmm. Have to have a little think.

So I guess I'll have to have a look for a lower powered cheap laptop to go with it. Mmm. Have to have a little think.

You don't need anything fancy. I run VCDS on a 6 year old Compaq running Windows Vista and it is more than up to the task. You could probably pick up something similar from e-bay for not much money.  

But what if you buy it from a company like ilexa, then it comes on a CD. Unless it has a serial number that activates it and you don't need the CD.

Mine came from there.  I just downloaded it and the program just worked, and has worked for last several years. :)

But what if you buy it from a company like ilexa, then it comes on a CD. Unless it has a serial number that activates it and you don't need the CD.

Don't - as others have said, download from the Ross-Tech website - easiest way IMHO too...

Re the hardware, I do have an old Dell D630, but my Gawd, lugging that about and the one hour battery made me decide to go with something smaller, so I bought a little Samsung N110 notebook from eBay last week to run the prog. Lovely little thing, cost me £40 with a 2GB RAM upgrade and Windows 8 (yuk!) and runs perfectly for nearly five hours!

I've solved the laptop problem, I've found my laptop, a rather pokey Sony Vaio, with a 17" HD screen on it, battery's knackered so have ordered a £24 new one, swapped the old 250Gb SSD drive from my PC and installed that with the requisite drivers for the laptop & chucked off all of the now non useful software that was on it, so that gives me a 120Gb laptop.

Now just to buy the software & cables.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Can You plz help me what type of cable do i need to buy in order to run and connect with vCDS?

I would use it with superb 2.

Vag 12.12 is okey? Or something else?

Thanks for the proposals... ;)

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Hello

Can You plz help me what type of cable do i need to buy in order to run and connect with vCDS?

I would use it with superb 2.

Vag 12.12 is okey? Or something else?

Thanks for the proposals... ;)

You need hex+can or a micro can cable.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but any example from ebay? There are really a lot types, and i would use which is tried by somebody else and working perfectly.

Many thx!;)

Thanks, but any example from ebay? There are really a lot types, and i would use which is tried by somebody else and working perfectly.

Many thx!;)

If it's on eBay it will almost certainly be fake. Especially if it is cheap and comes with an old version of the software.

Then any link through another shop? ;)

Look at the ross tech website they have a list of official suppliers in various countries

My lead warns me that I must not charge the laptop from the car while using VCDS. If that is the case, the first thing that goes on a laptop is the battery so you need a decent one!

My lead warns me that I must not charge the laptop from the car while using VCDS. If that is the case, the first thing that goes on a laptop is the battery so you need a decent o

The problem with in car chargers is that they produce a ground loop.  The loop causes a very high current that damages the interface and has caused damage to the computer. 

This thread is not about this issue but since it was mentioned, I thought it helpful to state the real problem.   Do not charge the laptop from the car.  Most of the external power supplies are fine but the ones that use the car as their source cause trouble.