Superb Mk2 Manual popping out of gear

Recently when my brother (who got his license a month ago) drives, when he is at a stoplight and releases the clutch a little so the car won't go down when it's a bit steep, and puts into the 1st gear and gives gas (as usual to get the car moving :P) the gear sometimes pops out for no reason. This never happened when my brother first got the license, only after a couple of weeks. Did he screw up the transmission or what could be the possible problem here?

Everyonce in a blue moon this happens with mine. You're rushing things, you put the lever in first (or reverse), and when you give a bit of throttle you don't move, and you can see the lever moving and often clicking back into neutral. 

That being said, it's about twice or something a year with mine, and always due to my clumsyness. If it's happening more often with you, it might be mechanically related I guess.

Yes, first gear can be slightly temperamental and just needs an extra notch sometimes to ensure it gets into gear.  It has happened to me before where I thought I had first gear engaged but it didn't quite slot into gear. The box has more of a tendency to slip back into neutral when in first gear compared to other gears.