Garmin -vs- TomTom

SeaGoat

I have a Tom Tom, brought it about 18 months ago.

Comes with free lifetime map updates and cost under £100

Tom Tom Start 25 springs to mind.

Only brought it because my old Tom Tom needed a map update and the battery needed replacing.

I decided that new would be the better option due to the cost of a new map been high.

Plus the new unit has "map sharing" where users update maps. Personally I don't use this option.

Speed limits are fairly accurate, variable speed camera just show up as a camera where as others show up and the speed is displayed on the unit.

I've used a few sat nabs over the years and I personally think the Tom Tom is the better unit. The support is also good as a recent issue was sorted in minutes with them.

Why would you expect a SatNav device to advise you what the speed limit is? Surely there are signs to do that?

Because you drive all over the country at night along roads you are not familiar with?

• Like 1

Why would you expect a SatNav device to advise you what the speed limit is? Surely there are signs to do that?

Agreed

I made that point further up (:

Sat Nav wont cope with temporary speed restrictions either

Sat Nav wont cope with temporary speed restrictions either

At what point do speed restrictions cease to be "temporary"? The OP mentioned road widening on the M3 & M1. In my experience these tend to last many months or even years.

The problem is that new maps are only released once every quarter.

However, there is something called the "Map Share Reporter Tool" that can be used by anyone to notify TomTom of errors in their maps. A TomTom user can update their device as often as they like by connecting it to a PC. If TomTom were actually to act on user feedback supplied via the MSR Tool they could easily offer accurate speed limit data.

Needless to say, this might be seen to discourage sales of their speed camera data and the annual map update subscription ;)

Garmin for me 5920 I believe with live data.

Speed camera warnings are useful. I use my eyes but sometimes the"bing" from the nav just helps warn me if I am in a new area.

Certainly don't rely on it. Also useful if I find my speed creeping up following traffic