The 280PS Thread

11 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

If it is, how do you manage dough nuts in a FWD Superb?

He’s in the Southern Hemisphere where everything is reversed? 

Edited by penguin17
  • Haha 2

On 04/10/2018 at 14:24, Littlewiz said:

Hi All, I'm a newcomer to this forum - actually found it when searching for info on the Superb 280 which for some reason has caught my attention when looking for a new car. Then did a speculative query in Carwow for Superb Estate 280 L&K and was pleasantly surprised by the offer of £34K plus the option of £3K Skoda contribution if I take finance.

However, I am completely thrown by the impact of WLTP (totally oblivious to it until recently when I asked for a possible delivery date).

Is now a good time to "invest" in such a beast when the outcome of the testing is unknown or potential impact on depreciation etc. The PCP figures show a balloon payment of £12K after 4 years which seems quite low. It can't really depreciate by that much ... can it?

I think my timing is a bit off :( so thinking it might be better to wait a few months assuming prices are not going to rise.

Ancillary question :)if I proceed I am thinking Business Grey .. good choice or not ???

BTW I really enjoy this forum.

Cheers

I pay no attention to anything anybody says or does about cars these days - Euro regs, WLTP, emissions etc. Govt encourage us to do something (buy diesels), then **** all over us. Manufacturers wasting billions meeting one new Euro reg after another, when the money would be better spent developing the inevitable electric technology. All the time the excuse is taken to tax and fine. Just buy what you like, common sense left the building a long time ago. Same with depreciation. You never really know what will happen to the value. I have lost tens of thousands over the years on Jags, Mercs and Audis. I don't think my 280 L&K will be any worse. PS Carwow really worked for me - got a stunning deal last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like your vehicle list in your profile:biggrin:

So how does your 280 stack up against your Jags, Mercs, Audis???

I think the decision is becoming inevitable and im about to join the club despite the long waiting time.

30 minutes ago, DjEatch said:

@Boxerdog1 - how do you find it's size down those narrow country "roads"?

Just shut my eyes when it gets a bit marginal :)  Seriously though , most stuff these days are similar width wise so no worries .

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Littlewiz said:

I like your vehicle list in your profile:biggrin:

So how does your 280 stack up against your Jags, Mercs, Audis???

I think the decision is becoming inevitable and im about to join the club despite the long waiting time.

In a nutshell, I find the 280 as good if not better in just about every respect except one, which is cabin noise. I say this with some caution - it's not unduly noisy, but if pushed to say something negative, that would be it. And I'm comparing to top end Mercs - E55AMG, CLS500. Compared to muggle Mercs and Audis (eg C series, A5 etc), it's no worse. A lot of noise seems to come from the tyres. When I change them, I'll be paying a lot of attention to the noise rating of the replacements.

That's it. I love the car and would recommend it to anyone.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and very interesting to hear how it compares to supposedly superior brands. Everyone seems to love their 280 :heart:

I have seen some reviews mention a low level of road noise but not overly intrusive. I will just have to turn the Canton music system up :music:

8 minutes ago, Littlewiz said:

So it will be a 272 with 7 speed DSG. I'm interested to hear more on this. Do you have a date And out of interest when did you order?

Tell me about it..

Ordered April.  Expected September, then October, now November. Who’s knows..

I a very close to cancelling and getting a used V90 Diseasal.  

Ouch. This WLTP is causing some major issues. Most be costing the manufacturers a fortune. Hope it comes through sooner rather than later but not sure where the Superb 280 sits in the priority list:sadsmile:

17 hours ago, Littlewiz said:

Thanks for the reply and very interesting to hear how it compares to supposedly superior brands. Everyone seems to love their 280 :heart:

I have seen some reviews mention a low level of road noise but not overly intrusive. I will just have to turn the Canton music system up :music:

TBH that could be the P7 tyres. Awful in every respect but in this context, they do drone. 

On 07/10/2018 at 15:28, penguin17 said:

TBH that could be the P7 tyres. Awful in every respect but in this context, they do drone. 

When I replaced the factory-fitted P7 with Michelin Premacy 4 the road noise dropped massively, especially on rough surfaces.

• Like 3

On 06/10/2018 at 23:22, Chas51 said:

Tell me about it..

Ordered April.  Expected September, then October, now November. Who’s knows..

I a very close to cancelling and getting a used V90 Diseasal.  

I ordered in May. I just called Skoda UK and they're expecting the car to be arrive here in either w/c 12th or 19th of November. It's a long waiting game!

Maybe it will end up being an MY21 Superb :D

19 minutes ago, boydeee said:

I ordered in May. I just called Skoda UK and they're expecting the car to be arrive here in either w/c 12th or 19th of November. It's a long waiting game!

Maybe it will end up being an MY21 Superb :D

Did they say whether it had been built?

On 08/10/2018 at 16:27, IanJD said:

When I replaced the factory-fitted P7 with Michelin Premacy 4 the road noise dropped massively, especially on rough surfaces.

That's really interesting and it's what I'm expecting when I change mine. My perception is the noise in the car is almost all tyre noise, depending on the road surface. If I'm on a nice smooth bit of tacmac at 80, it's really quiet, practically no wind noise.

Hello guys,

I ordered Superb Combi Sportline Dragon Skin 280PS DSG but here comes the news.

I cant get 280 anymore but they give me 272. 

Whats the differences besides PS. Any one know?

Edited by IceManEST
misspellings

38 minutes ago, JamesEnfield said:

Well that’s pretty old news now ;-) 272 has 7 speed dsg from golf r and GPF (petrol DPF)

8 ps less but you shouldnt feel it.

In my country we dont have so much information. Nobody havent updated me until now.

But GPF isnt so good news? 

7 minutes ago, JamesEnfield said:

I wouldnt worry. By design it’s less prone to clogging as the temperature is higher so it gets cleaned continuously. 

Okei thanks for the info.

But is the engine same and just software change or is the engine different.