The 280PS Thread

@Chas51 mine came with carpet mats which my dealer switched at no cost for rubber ones which i prefer. I bought my own tunnel mat from superskoda. 2 kids, a Springer Spaniel and hobbies involving lots of being outdoors in mud means hose-down is more important than look-nice :) The Skoda plastic boot tray in mine is there for similar reasons!

@Exxex , I doubt you'll notice the 'missing' 8ps. You'll be too busy holding on for dear life at 6000+ rpm to care and at lower revs the torque is the same. I am 100% sure you'll love it.

• Like 2

edwards' comment reminded me that for anyone with kids, enjoyment of muddy pursuits etc. looking to keep the car easy to clean I can recommend the boot liners from hatchbag.co.uk. I had one in my previous car and got one immediately for this one. Downsides are slightly harder use of side cupboards and access to under the boot floor. And doesn't really work if you have the variable floor option. But otherwise it's great - and definitely recommend getting the boot flap which flaps out over the bumper to protect it.

I'd echo @penguin17 comments about the car as well - a recent 14½hr drive from Austria to home with only 2hrs worth of stops including the time in the tunnel showed me what a great easy cruiser it was - no need to share the driving - quite the opposite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chas51 said:

Seconded, always enjoy your positive comments @penguin17, makes the waiting more bearable!

Re the bits and pieces comment from @boydeee, I was planning on purchasing the tunnel cover plus a couple of other things, but can anyone confirm whether the Sportline comes with mats as standard?  I’m sure the specs at the time said it did (material rather than rubber) but would be good to know for sure. Cheers

Both my Sportlines came with carpet matts as standard. Usually in the boot with a ‘dealer pack’ from the factory. 

Check with supplying dealer to 100% confirm though. Things may have changed in MY19. 

Look at UK dealers eBay stores for a transmission tunnel cover. Mine was cheaper than the Superskoda price, with free delivery. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xman said:

Mud? What mud? Did you say rabbit?

937ae744a5cefca7cb718be92a79d3b5.thumb.jpg.a9b55c81689b22819568e7b29474ec06.jpg

Brilliant! 

We  have a Vizsla and he hates the Superb. Shakes as soon as the boot hatch opens. We think it’s the vibration from the twin pipes. 

He he loves our Golf though. Jumps in and out without persuasion.  Boot liner and bumper protector a must!! 

1 hour ago, Exxex said:

Thanks dg360.

So do they do this for some environmental reasons? I mean the customers that are interested in these engines might not care too much about that anyway right :biggrin:. Since June this year the Swedish government makes sure to punish the TSI280 with an increased yearly tax of like 4-500 GBP. For that money I want as much horses under the hood as possible...

Cheers

They do this to annoy possible customers, while other cars are constantly getting engine upgrades, Superb has been on 280 for years.

40 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

We  have a Vizsla and he hates the Superb. Shakes as soon as the boot hatch opens. We think it’s the vibration from the twin pipes. 

No, its because he wants sit on the leather seats in the back and watch you driving and tell you when your driving is making him feel sick. Just a quick wipe down with leather....

Edited by xman

22 minutes ago, toni8b said:

They do this to annoy possible customers, while other cars are constantly getting engine upgrades, Superb has been on 280 for years.

The small drop in quoted PS is a consequence of adding the GPF required to meet the new regulations. Its basically a quick fix, restoring the lost 8ps would require development work, which is probably on going.

Its well known that VAG actual peak power almost always are considerably more than quoted (in the uk at sea level anyway) you probably still have a bit more than 280.

And if people still insist on using 95RON should they complain about a theoretical figure that almost no one will ever call upon? As previously said, don't confuse max torque and max power.

Edited by xman

12 hours ago, JamesEnfield said:

272 is getting 7 speed dsg from Golf R and Im fairly sure you wont even miss those 8 ps. Its a good trade off.

Yes I agree. Right now my 280 sits way closer to 3k revs than 2k at 70mph so the 7 speed should help with this a bit. 

22 hours ago, xman said:

The small drop in quoted PS is a consequence of adding the GPF required to meet the new regulations. Its basically a quick fix, restoring the lost 8ps would require development work, which is probably on going.

Its well known that VAG actual peak power almost always are considerably more than quoted (in the uk at sea level anyway) you probably still have a bit more than 280.

And if people still insist on using 95RON should they complain about a theoretical figure that almost no one will ever call upon? As previously said, don't confuse max torque and max power.

Is Golf R having the same 8hp drop in its engine because of GPF?

Does this mean that cars with GPF will be less tunable?

1 hour ago, toni8b said:

Is Golf R having the same 8hp drop in its engine because of GPF?

Does this mean that cars with GPF will be less tunable?

Tuning, I've no idea, but you could ask AMD Techik, et. all for their opinion.

The Mk 7.5 Golf R with the GPF reverts to 300 ps (from 310 ps), so yes it does loose power.

On the road, probably not noticable  unless you drive on empty autobahns

HTH, DC

On 22/09/2018 at 13:25, paul_7_7_7 said:

edwards' comment reminded me that for anyone with kids, enjoyment of muddy pursuits etc. looking to keep the car easy to clean I can recommend the boot liners from hatchbag.co.uk. I had one in my previous car and got one immediately for this one. Downsides are slightly harder use of side cupboards and access to under the boot floor. And doesn't really work if you have the variable floor option. But otherwise it's great - and definitely recommend getting the boot flap which flaps out over the bumper to protect it.

I have the Skoda plastic boot  tray (not the reversible one) with the little lip around the edge. It does loose a bit of 'side protection' but it does allow access to the side storage and it also sinks down with the variable floor. 

The idiot dog seems to be able to absorb twice his weight in mud :)

dog one.JPG

• Haha 1

On 22/09/2018 at 12:11, Exxex said:

Thanks dg360.

So do they do this for some environmental reasons? I mean the customers that are interested in these engines might not care too much about that anyway right :biggrin:. Since June this year the Swedish government makes sure to punish the TSI280 with an increased yearly tax of like 4-500 GBP. For that money I want as much horses under the hood as possible...

Cheers

Due to new EU compliance brought about by WLTP: 

http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your responses!

I found this article about the new Arteon TSI 272 http://www.fdm.dk/bildatabasen/volkswagen/arteon/20-tsi-272-r-line-business-4wd-dsg-2019-229815.

VW has specified it at 272HP @ 5100rpm. Don't know if it correlates with Skoda's mapping in any way, should be the same engine though right? It is interesting since the old TSI 280 delivers ~280HP @ 5600-6500rpm. And at 5100rpm the TSI 280 delivers ~260 HP according to a well known Swedish engine tuner https://sv.bsr.se/trimsatser/t/3085/skoda-superb-20-tsi-280hp-2015-2018-cjxa.

Cheers!

11 minutes ago, Exxex said:

Thanks for all your responses!

I found this article about the new Arteon TSI 272 http://www.fdm.dk/bildatabasen/volkswagen/arteon/20-tsi-272-r-line-business-4wd-dsg-2019-229815.

VW has specified it at 272HP @ 5100rpm. Don't know if it correlates with Skoda's mapping in any way, should be the same engine though right? It is interesting since the old TSI 280 delivers ~280HP @ 5600-6500rpm. And at 5100rpm the TSI 280 delivers ~260 HP according to a well known Swedish engine tuner https://sv.bsr.se/trimsatser/t/3085/skoda-superb-20-tsi-280hp-2015-2018-cjxa.

Cheers!

I bet with high octane fuel, at sea level in a moderate climate it’s actually closer to 300bhp

I was an active member on seatcupra.net when the 280 Leon Cupra was first launched and a few people posted standard dyno results in the high 290’s-low 300’s.  Apparently the Golf R was also pushing bigger numbers than VW published. 

Skoda are notoriously conservative with performance figures.  Most 0-60 times for the  280, from independent tests range from 5.1-5.4 seconds and not the 5.8 Škoda state. Not really a great deal of difference but enough to indicate the cars putting out more power than is claimed. 

All just pub talk though and pretty meaningless in the real world. 

• Like 1

Hi All, I'm a newcomer to this forum - actually found it when searching for info on the Superb 280 which for some reason has caught my attention when looking for a new car. Then did a speculative query in Carwow for Superb Estate 280 L&K and was pleasantly surprised by the offer of £34K plus the option of £3K Skoda contribution if I take finance.

However, I am completely thrown by the impact of WLTP (totally oblivious to it until recently when I asked for a possible delivery date).

Is now a good time to "invest" in such a beast when the outcome of the testing is unknown or potential impact on depreciation etc. The PCP figures show a balloon payment of £12K after 4 years which seems quite low. It can't really depreciate by that much ... can it?

I think my timing is a bit off :( so thinking it might be better to wait a few months assuming prices are not going to rise.

Ancillary question :)if I proceed I am thinking Business Grey .. good choice or not ???

BTW I really enjoy this forum.

Cheers

Its all about time, facelifting is coming 2019 so obviously this will cause current model prices to go down.

On the other hand I could not care less really, plan to drive this car for at least 5-6 years and by then it wont hold its value anyway.

on business grey its a matter of personal preference - to me 50% of Superbs is business grey, usually purchased/leased by companies in my country so I would never buy it. But I do think it looks very good on Superb especially with 19 inch wheels.

I went for Moon White which, where I live, is not that common. But not everyone likes white and I also had lot of second thoughts

Edited by JamesEnfield

Yes my daughter is not at all convinced by my choice of colour :(  Grey has the advantage of hiding dirt as I'm not the best at keeping my vehicles clean. Mind you it might be different in this case!

My thought is 4 year PCP deal then see what the car's value is before deciding long-term ownership plus  I will have had 4 years of fun deciding on the running costs etc. Its a lot of car for the money but well above what I would normally spend. If  i could prove its worth more than the current final balloon payment that would help build my business case :)

Cheers,

Mike

55 minutes ago, Littlewiz said:

Yes my daughter is not at all convinced by my choice of colour :(  Grey has the advantage of hiding dirt as I'm not the best at keeping my vehicles clean. Mind you it might be different in this case!

My thought is 4 year PCP deal then see what the car's value is before deciding long-term ownership plus  I will have had 4 years of fun deciding on the running costs etc. Its a lot of car for the money but well above what I would normally spend. If  i could prove its worth more than the current final balloon payment that would help build my business case :)

Cheers,

Mike

Business Grey really suits the Sportline Trim and like you say , disguises the dirt !!   I'm going to miss mine in due course as it's on sale due to 'rationalisation' of family fleet .....

7 hours ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Business Grey really suits the Sportline Trim and like you say , disguises the dirt !! 

And even better when the roof is wrapped in gloss black!!!!

I'm glad I got Business Grey :)

p.s. mine is not a Sportline though.

5afbd6b6ad97a_shinny04.thumb.jpg.6fda0a33147042ac2cf310c9004c7c6b.jpg5afbd6be0d664_shinny05.thumb.jpg.b4fe46f59be1f21c96a086cbd02aeed2.jpg

I think Business Grey is the best colour for the Superb. It’s the only colour that suits hatch and estate in either chrome or gloss black trims.  It will age well too. 

I don’t think you can get a ‘bad’ colour in the Superb but not all colours suit every config variable.  

Meteor Grey with chrome trim looks bloody awful, for example.  

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Littlewiz said:

Thanks for the photos. Looks stunning so Business Grey it will be if I dare take the plunge.

Is that your rubber in the background :D

If it is, how do you manage dough nuts in a FWD Superb?

Agree with the colour choice though, SWMBO has a Golf Estate in Limestone Grey with small (18" rims), chosen 'cos it's a nice colour & no-one really notices the car.