The 280PS Thread

20 minutes ago, TGR said:

I'm almost definitely going for these Vredsteins when I replace the P7s.

One question - how are they for wear rates? Have you put enough miles on them, in summer driving too, to get a feel for that yet? Thanks.

I've just been out and checked...

After approx 9.5-10K miles the fronts are at 5.5mm and the rears 6mm.  I can't recall tread depth when new but Vredestein quote 10mm.   So based on that and current depth I'd say I'll be replacing the fronts at 15-16k miles as I like to replace at 3mm or 2.5mm (at a push).

For a heavy car and tyres with a soft'ish compound that's pretty good.  

They are wearing evenly across the bead so at least I know the alignment on the car is good :)  These were on my first Sportline which was FWD and my new one is 4x4 with quite a bit more bhp so I'm not sure how the wear rate will be affected in the longer term.  Also the majority of their usage has thus far been in Winter so I'll keep an eye on the wear now the temps have gone up a bit. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TGR said:

Thanks @penguin17 that's good info. Does sound pretty good for wear then. Keep us posted how they go on the 280 then.

Will do.  One other thing which may help...I would buy these tyres again, defo.  

Now I have the 280 I was thinking of getting some Michelin PS4's or Vredestein Ultrac Vorti but that's just a cost I don't think I can 100% justify based on how the Quatrac 5's have been so far, in the Summer and I'd always miss the security of them when the temp dropped or when there's snow on the ground.  Having to replace tyres/wheels depending on the Season and store them is an experience I'd rather not go back to. 

• Like 2

Sorry if I've not spotted a mention of it before in this thread, but I noticed last night that there's a 280 featuring in Channel 5's "Celebrity 5 Go Caravanning" :-)

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

You’ve just burst my 280 ownership bubble.  :crying:

As the cars (one 280. one Kodiak diesel) are both plain white, are fully loaded and have remarkably similar reg numbers (KY67 RHV and KY67 RLV) I'd not be surprised if it's Skoda themselves that have popped your ownership bubble.

Here it is

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-280ps-4x4-sportline-dsg-5dr-hatch-nxbqee9

No mention of the tow bar...

Edited by Gyp

Oh well that's it then .... the 280 Sportline has to go !!     Mind you not for that reason , another 'project' has materialised so my 9/17 Business Grey Combi with a lot of nice extras inc. 2 year service plan may be on the 'For Sale' section in near future.  

Edited by Boxerdog1

12 hours ago, Gyp said:

Sorry if I've not spotted a mention of it before in this thread, but I noticed last night that there's a 280 featuring in Channel 5's "Celebrity 5 Go Caravanning" :-)

Fuel economy in a 280 pulling a caravan must be horrendous?!

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

For a family holiday a few years ago, we towed a big heavy van behind a 1968 Rover P5B 3.5 litre, all the way from Wiltshire to the Algarve, via the Pyrenees.

Averaged 8mpg guzzling 100 octane leaded 5*.

I'm sure the Superb 280 will be just fine.

By comparison :-)

• Like 1

On 21/07/2018 at 19:52, ahenners said:

I got 24mpg towing a 1200kg twin axle box trailer over 400 miles mixed motorway and a-road plus a few quite dusty lanes. Didn't think that was really terrible :)

car-towing-dirty.JPG

18 minutes ago, edwards said:

I got 24mpg towing a 1200kg twin axle box trailer over 400 miles mixed motorway and a-road plus a few quite dusty lanes. Didn't think that was really terrible :)

car-towing-dirty.JPG

You might have got over 25 if you closed the hatch on the trailer (and also had a 'gentleman sausage' drawn on your rear window) :)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, edwards said:

car-towing-dirty.JPG

That's not actually bad at all! I know nothing about caravans but are they considerably heavier?

Its a combo of weight, rolling resistance and air resistance really. My parents caravan is 1100kg so laden prob more than the box, and it has a bigger frontal area although it is wedge shaped.

I dont really know how you assess those factors to decide, but I suspect air resistance once you are rolling is the biggest factor. I know a roof rack full of bikes will knock 5mpg off and they only weigh maybe 60kg with the rack

Set a new PB yesterday of filling in 70.36 litres. 

9500 miles driven since I got it at the end of January. Average MPG is 33.47 calculated, 33.79 from the trip. 99% has been Tesco Momentum, one tank of V power and 25l of Tesco regular poor person fuel as I was low and they had no 99. Felt bad.

A lot of time on the M40 at 65 relaxing. I can do 41-42mpg on those particular drives. All ruined when I then have to commute through London and get 26.

Will all change when my folks move as I won't be able to doss with them when I come down to work.  Will have to pay for a hotel or AirB&B near work so expenses will go up, but fuel consumption and that will go down.

Still so nice having the power when you want it though. Taking the house along for the ride is a great bonus.

On 21/07/2018 at 19:52, ahenners said:

Probably not as bad as you'd think as it doesn't need to try as hard as a smaller engine might.

• Like 1

22.8 towing an Elddis Odyssey many trips in last year. Latest trip 2200 miles to Skye & back, 22.8 on the nail. Just been to Louth for the weekend, 660 miles round trip,  - thought I'd try Super unleaded as an experiment - lo only 21.9 , so its back to cooking unleaded for me! But the 280 tows like a dream and overtaking trucks etc a breeze with the instant response.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Howardv said:

Did 240 miles yesterday with an average of 19,75mpg, so yes indeed :biggrin:. (Super unleaded.)

But as @Steel Grey 42 have already mentioned, the 280 tows like a dream. 

6FA97F8F-94ED-422A-872A-6C6E314D25DB.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a caravanist...

When you're taking the effort to tow 1.5 tonnes of storage space around with you, why do you need a roofbox (which looks great BTW)?  Genuine question.

Coming home today and I noticed a bit of a flat spot. Give it a bit of stick in first and nothing seems to happen for a second then whoosh ! Felt a bit like an 80's Saab Turbo !

Was fine this morning so I've put it down to the heat.

Anyone else noticed similar ?

41 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Coming home today and I noticed a bit of a flat spot. Give it a bit of stick in first and nothing seems to happen for a second then whoosh ! Felt a bit like an 80's Saab Turbo !

Was fine this morning so I've put it down to the heat.

Anyone else noticed similar ?

Out of interest, normal unleaded or super?

51 minutes ago, dg360 said:

Out of interest, normal unleaded or super?

Only use V-Power.... Well it had a tank of 95 about 18 months ago when I was stuck for fuel in the middle of Wales !