Hiring a Caterham...... Any advice.....?

VRS_Dan

I'm hiring a Caterham Supersport (http://www.sevenhire.co.uk/yellow.html) for my brother as a pre-stag weekend surprise as he has always wanted one.

Having never really driven one, or much experience at all in a little rear wheel drive car, is there anything I should be mindful of and what out for??

Any advice will be appreciated.

They're great fun, but I've only been a passenger in one for a trackday. I was too tall (6ft 4) for this one, mostly because the car was set up more specifically for the owner of the car who was about 5ft 7. I was able to get into it, but I wasn't able to take my foot off the clutch again.

I expect a hire car to be set up for people with vary heights and sizes though.

Yes I do believe they are, I have been told that the guy that owns the cars is over 6 foot tall and fits in comfortably.

it may even be they adjust everything on the morning of hire to suit the drivers (he isn't having it without me having a few miles!!)

Watch out for red Fabias too. I almost wiped out a couple at Rockingham because they were all hidden behind each other so when 2 went past I thought it was safe to pull back out but there were 2 more.  :peek:

I've done 4.5K miles last year in my Westfield, and am on target to at least the same amount of miles this year, so I think I'm qualified to make some comments ;)

The car itself will be incredibly fun to drive.  Direct steering input, go cart like handling and instant acceleration due to having no weight.  You'll feel like Toad doing a round of Mario Karts.

However, you are an oddball on the road, a sight people are not accustomed to.  As they are waiting at a junction, they will see you, but somehow the brain says "that's no car" and they will pull out on you.  Drive it like you would drive a motorcycle; defensively.

My advice, go for the quiet times at the weekend and pick some roads that don't particularly go anywhere.  But make sure you know where the petrol stations are (my range is 160 miles) at all times ;)

• Like 3

Thanks Quinten, sound advice!

I've got the car on a Friday from 9-6 so will have to take the traffic as I find it I'm afraid. Still, feeling like I'm in Mario kart will be pretty cool!

• Like 1

I've only driven one around a cone circuit, but it was by far the most fun car I've ever driven. You're an awesome brother. Just don't be to liberal with the throttle mid corner if you don't have much room to **** up, but that's same as front wheel drive really :).

• Like 1

I second what Quinten said. As a Westfield owner myself for 12 years it's amazing how many people don't see you. Drove the Westfield to work on Friday. Driving along in a line of traffic, the 2 cars in front pass a junction where a 4x4 pulling a caravan is waiting to pull out. As I'm approaching the junction driver of 4x4 appears to make eye contact and then just pulls out. Managed to avoid rear ending the caravan - just.

I think a lot of the time you are not in the other drivers field of vision. They are looking for something more normal and whilst they may see you they don't actually record you as another car on the road.

I tend to drive with headlights on. Not sure if it helps but makes me feel a bit safer.

Mark

I second what Quinten said. As a Westfield owner myself for 12 years it's amazing how many people don't see you. Drove the Westfield to work on Friday. Driving along in a line of traffic, the 2 cars in front pass a junction where a 4x4 pulling a caravan is waiting to pull out. As I'm approaching the junction driver of 4x4 appears to make eye contact and then just pulls out. Managed to avoid rear ending the caravan - just.

I think a lot of the time you are not in the other drivers field of vision. They are looking for something more normal and whilst they may see you they don't actually record you as another car on the road.

I tend to drive with headlights on. Not sure if it helps but makes me feel a bit safer.

Mark

I was thinking whilst reading this that this is perfect justification for DRL's.

I read something a while back saying if you drive with your lights on and someone flashes you and calls you a w&anker for driving with lights on, at least they've seen you!

I can see why people drive them with lights on reading this, I would do the same too!

Even more reason to drive with Dipped Headlights & sidelights on,

then the rear Tail Lights will be on and those approaching from the rear when it is Daylight but maybe poor Daytime light / visibility will have no excuse to not see you ahead of them.

• Like 1