What is this part for? Fel out of air filter compartment.

It's the filter in that plastic thing on top of the engine. I've looked all over but there is no place inside the plastic compartment for the air filter where this piece fits.

I'll try to get the most figures right...

SKODA FABIA COM AMB 1,2

year 2007 mon 12

engine   kw       hp       ltr             cyl       mounting time         model

BME      47        64     1,20           3         12/04 - 12/07          FABIA           EU4/EU2DDK

My wife just drove off for a shopping spree so I can't get the serial no for the filter just yet

26115173_8.jpg

That's a Mk1 Fabia then, I think, 6Y in the VIN rather than 5J?

Can have a look at our 05 AZQ-engine one this evening, but I see there are 4 different versions of the airbox for BME engines, dependent on chassis number and whether for 'cold climates' or not. I assume yours would be the later chassis number and cold climate version, 03E129607N. None have the same part number as our AZQ, so not going to be necessarily useful to look at. UK cars aren't going to be the cold-climate version I don't think.

Looking at the little round tube, it seems like either a connection point for a flexible hose, or maybe a drain tube? Need more photos of the other sides of the airbox/engine cover.

OK, would it be better if I post this question in MK1 forum instead?

I assumed it was a mk2 because it was bought in mars 2008, just now when looking it up more in detail I realized it was a 2007 make.

I don't think you'd get a lot more help in the Mk1 forum. Not many 1.2 owners on there. There's a couple of guys in this one that seem to know about the 1.2 3-pot engines, so probably better off here.

There are some numbers on the bottom of air filter compartment 

03E129607   (N)

FZ3 Spain

446 092 85  (912)

>PP-GF30<

>PA6-GF30<

Here are a few more pic's of the mysterious part

post-130777-0-99445400-1437394497_thumb.jpg

post-130777-0-86098500-1437394498_thumb.jpg

post-130777-0-50528400-1437394499_thumb.jpg

Yes! That was it =) I guess this part is supposed to direct an air flow over some sort of thermostatic device that regulates the amount of cold air let in to the engine. The mystery part was broken though, a clip for holding it in place was damaged, but some glue did the trick. Thanks a lot to you all! =)

post-130777-0-76642100-1437404338_thumb.jpg

post-130777-0-50604200-1437404350_thumb.jpg

post-130777-0-30887900-1437404351_thumb.jpg

If you haven't already put it back on the car, it might be a good time to check whether that thermostat is still working or not, because they default to 'all pre-heated air' when they fail, I think.

If you look at the markings on the end of the brass thermostat housing, you'll see it says 1523.  I interpret that to mean that below 15°C it will be fully retracted, allowing the flap to move under spring pressure to the maximum pre-warmed air position; above 23°C it will be fully extended, pushing the flap to the position where it takes in only ambient air, and any temperature in between will result in an intermediate flap position.

Main thing to check is that by warming that brass part with, say, a hair drier, to make sure it's above 23C (or just checking it after the car has been driven ,and then sat for 15 minutes to let the engine heat soak up), the flap should be in the position where it closes off the supply of warmed air from around the exhaust manifold.

If you haven't already put it back on the car, it might be a good time to check whether that thermostat is still working or not, because they default to 'all pre-heated air' when they fail, I think.

If you look at the markings on the end of the brass thermostat housing, you'll see it says 1523.  I interpret that to mean that below 15°C it will be fully retracted, allowing the flap to move under spring pressure to the maximum pre-warmed air position; above 23°C it will be fully extended, pushing the flap to the position where it takes in only ambient air, and any temperature in between will result in an intermediate flap position.

Main thing to check is that by warming that brass part with, say, a hair drier, to make sure it's above 23C (or just checking it after the car has been driven ,and then sat for 15 minutes to let the engine heat soak up), the flap should be in the position where it closes off the supply of warmed air from around the exhaust manifold.

I'll let the car sit over night so it's well below 15º to see if the flap is movable (if I understood you right about whats supposed to happen in different temperatures). Mornings here in Sweden are quite cold...

Yep, if you take it off the engine when it's below 15C, then look down the pipe that would connect to the exhaust manifold area, you should see the flap tilting downwards to allow air from this warm feed to go to the filter, and blocking the cold feed.

Our car has the same little pipe to squirt air at the thermostat, I discovered just now. :)

Here's a picture showing the flap from inside (ambient temperature is around 20C here, and this is a few hours after the car was last used):

Airbox%20flap.jpg

I checked the function this morning. It wasn't that cold today, 18,5ºC The flap was in it's "down" position letting warmest air in to the engine. I heated it up and when my IR-thermometer said 35º the flap moved. I cooled it down by using liquid air (I guess it's propane, it's used to clean out dusty computers) when holding such a can up side down it spits out a liquid gas, cold enough to move the flap again. I guess it works swell =)

• Like 1