500+mile tank range possible in Citigo?

Citigouk

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I don't own a Citigo, in fact they are not even sold in Australia but the 'since start' display stats are for the current journey and it resets to zero, for a new journey, when the car has been stationary, engine off, for a period of time (not sure exactly but something like two hours).

Other models in the Skoda range like my Octavia have three separate display modes for 'since start', 'since refuel' and 'long-term'. If your car does not have 'since refill' then I'd reset the 'long=term' when you refuel because otherwise it resets to zero every 9999 miles or 99 hours automatically, which is pretty unhelpful really.

Air-conditioning does have an effect on consumption. On a run it could be upto 5 mpg depending on weather but around town in stop/start traffic it will be far greater maybe 10 mpg or more.

This is because the air-con can near double the consumption rate at idle due to the increased load of running the air-con and the fan drawing air through the front radiator and air-con matrix.

The aircon is there for your comfort and safety and you are best using it rather than suffering for economy.

The awesome figures quoted by some in this thread are where they are achieving the holy trinity of  good driving with a good car in good conditions. For instance you can be assured their regular commute does not involve lots of heavy stop/start traffic.

Economical driving involves good anticipation of road conditions to avoid unnecessary use of the brakes and use of engine braking as much as possible when slowing is required. 

Lots of good tips and info  in the attached spritspartipps_par_0008_file.pdf

Thanks very much for the detailed reply with all of this information and tips and tricks - I’ll be sure to take it all on board to see what sort of figures I can get. 

7 hours ago, Miller73 said:

I doubt aircon being on has much effect on overall mpg, maybe 1-2 MPG difference. To get 500 miles to a tank would mean about 62 MPG. Yes that is possible, IF you only ever drive anywhere at 40-50 mph with little or no stop-starting. In the real world I have found I get between 350-400 miles to a tank (approx 45-50MPG) which I'm quite happy with, but still no-where near the Skoda claimed 64MPG combined figure, which is *******s.

350-400 miles does seem like a fair figure for lots of short trips/town driving which is still quite impressive for the little car. The people on here are seeming to get 64mpg and above though so it’s not impossible, but it probably takes people actually trying to get it rather than driving normally.

6 hours ago, AussieEd said:

Jay,  I'm also a 'Newbie Citigo owner' (three year old second hand model).  To help answer your question I did my first 'distance journey' recently. Bury St Edmunds to Grimsby and back via Thetford, Kings Lynn, Boston, through the Wolds in morning and evening traffic. I zero'd the fuel trip and the round journey gave me 65.5 mpg !!! (according to computer). That was a good mix of varied roads and commuter traffic (Boston & Kings Lynn a nightmare at 5.30pm).  The last time I ever got anywhere near 65mpg must have been from 3 in 1 oil on my roller skates !  So in theory these fantastic mpg figures are possible. I'm still on my first full tank of fuel but I'll do a brim to brim calculation when I next fill up and calculate the real world figures then.   

Welcome to the club :) well done to you for getting such great economy! Your wallet will thank you I’m sure. And I’m planning on doing the same, I nice brimmed tank, then drain it which I know can be bad but it can’t hurt one time, and then calculate it from that and perhaps compare with the trip computer. 

Thanks for your reply :) 

eor a better idea of what people achieve in real world driving, measured fill to fill see this http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/citigo

Click on each model year to see various car's averages and click on the car for fill be fill data..

EDIT. EG for our own Citigo, we have averaged 51.4 over 4820 miles. Best is 57.1 (trip to lake district) and a worst of 46.2 (lots of short trips). These are tank averages. We have had individual journeys of 60+mpg, but overall economy is what counts.

Edited by Luckypants

56 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

eor a better idea of what people achieve in real world driving, measured fill to fill see this http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/citigo

Click on each model year to see various car's averages and click on the car for fill be fill data..

EDIT. EG for our own Citigo, we have averaged 51.4 over 4820 miles. Best is 57.1 (trip to lake district) and a worst of 46.2 (lots of short trips). These are tank averages. We have had individual journeys of 60+mpg, but overall economy is what counts.

Thanks for this, very interesting link which I will continue to follow up with as a put more miles on my Citigo. It seems I’m bang on average for what people are getting, around 45mpg in the real world. However, I would prefer to follow suit with people on these sorts of threads and set myself challenges with economy driving and have some fun sometimes as well. 

All these people getting averages of 60+ mpg and here I am thinking I'm lucky when I get more than 40mpg out of mine! I do lots of short journeys and urban driving, so that really hammers the average. On a long run, I generally get about 45 mpg which I deem perfectly adequate, but that's probably because I have a (ahem) MUCH higher cruising speed than most of you. I've found my BEST figure, 69.7 mpg over a 125 mile journey, was down to the fact about 110 miles out of that 125 was motorway/dual carriageway, in busy rush hour traffic so was mostly cruising along at about 56 mph in L1.

I will struggle to find another car that can manage to average 45 mpg at a very fast motorway cruise. I'm quite satisfied with that!

Just for info:

Since new in July 2016, my 60 hp Citigo has covered 29 635 miles using 1 908 litres giving an average mpg of 60.8.   At a fuel cost of £2 380 averaging £1.25/litre

I live in Marown, Isle of Man (30 miles long and 10 miles wide) where there are no dual carriageways nor motorways, so it's all A and B class roads.

I'm nearer 60 than 50 and can't remember the last time I exceeded 3000 r/min, ironic in that approx. 75% the roads here have no speed limit!

Similar driving in a 2008-16 Toyota Aygo over 120k miles gave 59.1 mpg.

VW Lupo n/a diesel 2003-2008, over 110k miles gave 67.7 mpg.

I'm pleased with the Citigo's low speed torque compared to the Toyota.

Other than a grumbling (but perfectly functional) transmission, I can't fault the Citigo.

Cheers...Snaefell.

This is a very interesting topic.  We have a 2015 Citigo SE 60 ASG.  According to the computer we are consistently getting 55 mpg plus and frequently over 60.  

We bought our Citigo in April this year with 43k miles (now 47k) having traded a Nissan Leaf.

We bought the 2014 Leaf in July 2017 and so wanted to like it.  Unfortunately it was probably the most soul-less car we've ever had.  OK if you want a car to be no more than a household appliance. 

However the final straw was at Easter this year when after a cold winter we were struggling to get more than 50 miles range from a battery charge.  I appreciate that things are moving along on the electric front but not that quickly.

It has become something of a crusade therefore to get as many miles per tankful as we can.  It makes me smile when our car says it only has fuel for 60 miles for e.g. !

As an aside we recently went to Austria in a 3 week old Superb 1.4 Sportline that had been loaned to us by the dealer as our new Octavia 1.0 Estate had not been delivered.  With a 65 litre tank, and averaging just over 50 mpg, we could almost have done the run from East Lancashire to the Austrian Tirol (via Hull to Rotterdam) on one tankful of petrol about 750 miles

John

• Thanks 1

Bit off-topic, but I've been getting well north of 800 miles per tankful from my Roomster now back on its summer tyres. 

Millers oil and Millers fuel additive both help.

After refuelling, computer often predicts over 900 miles potential range.

Some recent nearly all restricted speed motorway journeys back from S. Cheshire have averaged over 70mpg.

And yes I was considering a used Zoe 40kwh in a few years' time.  The up to 200 miles range might feel quite limiting!!!???

Edited by RichardatWakefield
Improve reply to post.
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just taken this picture in our Citigo 60 SE.  This is in the range of our normal mpg figure and on a long run, using motorways and with a sensible right foot, we would definitely get 500 miles on a tank.

John

citigo range.JPG

1 hour ago, jst_at_home said:

Just taken this picture in our Citigo 60 SE.  This is in the range of our normal mpg figure and on a long run, using motorways and with a sensible right foot, we would definitely get 500 miles on a tank.

John

citigo range.JPG

John

citigo range.JPG

John

citigo range.JPG

Hi John,

Am I reading your figures correctly?   You appear to have covered 91 miles in 4+ hours with an average speed of 20mph.

At 20mph I'd expect 80mpg ???  or were you stuck in traffic?    :-)

23 hours ago, AussieEd said:

Hi John,

Am I reading your figures correctly?   You appear to have covered 91 miles in 4+ hours with an average speed of 20mph.

At 20mph I'd expect 80mpg ???  or were you stuck in traffic?    :-)

Town traffic, but indicative of our regular consumption.  Our 1.0 Octavia DSG Estate is getting 48 'ish.

John