Engine jerking whilst driving 1.9tdi VRS

The engine appears to be joking like its choking a bit whilst I'm driving.

The car drives fine but if I'm cruising and maintaining a steady speed the the car jolts and jerks a bit every now and then.

It doesn't seem to make a difference what speed or gear I'm in it seems to do this intermittently.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Look, they're golden, not crystal.

My first thought was a failing throttle position sensor, there's chances that a failing steering angle sensor, or engine speed, or crankshaft position sensor, could give these symptoms.

Bottom line, you can guess, or you can get the fault codes read.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The battery was completely worn out so that has been replaced. I had the codes checked and the only thing that came up was the battery. The engine only seems to jerk when I accelerate up to 60 say in 5th and I release my foot of the pedal then I gently press again to hold it at speed.

The garage has looked into the issue thoroughly and cannot find a single thing wrong with the car. It has had a full diagnostic and mechanical check with no results.

Is there anyone else on here with a TDI who experiences or has experienced any engine stuttering?

Sounds like EGR stutter to me too. Had it on my 07 VRS. Any speed, any revs (but mostly at around 2800) - as you stated, very gentle acceleration.

If it is the BLT 1.9 tdi engine, and still has the original EGR gasket. Buying a 9mm gasket, drilling it out to 11mm and fitting that instead of the 22mm (or24mm can't remember) will cure it. At least it did with mine and countless others.

Cool. I might have to look into an egr delete as a lot of diesel owners have had to do it to solve stuttering issues. I have a feeling the previous owner didn't take the best care of the car so its probable had services not often enough or crap oil thats clogged up the egr valve.

I have close to zero mechanical knowledge fella, and I managed to do it. Skoda spares sell the 9mm gasket for peanuts. Drilling it out to 11mm is as easy as putting a hole in a wall. And you only need to remove the engine cover to swap it: the bolts that need undoing are positioned so you can get an Allen key to them and undo them quarter turn at a time. A generous squirt of WD40 to loosen them, and I could get mine out with fingers once they were loose.

Once the bolts are out (don't drop them) just slide the old gasket out, put the new one in, and tighten the bolts back up. Engine cover back on, take it for a drive and realise how much bette the car feels to drive for such little effort.

Honestly buddy, it's an easy easy fix that even I managed. And the difference is night and day.

EGR delete if you want, but that will mean a remap to get the engine management light to go out.

• Like 1

EMS light will be on if you do the EGR delete and it will need to be mapped out but while it's showing on the dash, it shouldn't affect the car in any way and mess with the ECU.

There are various possible reasons for the jerking but the EGR delete sorted it for me personally, definitely worth trying other things first, mite just do the job.

I gave the egr valve a thorough clean and my god was it bad. chunks of soot were removed and after i cleaned it a ton of crap got flushed through the exhaust.

Im gonna see if it makes any difference but if it doesn't what would you recommend next?

Ok I've had my VRS checked out and it seems the stuttering is due to it being remapped to 180hp. That's why the stuttering only occurs at certain rev ranges.

The egr valve was clogged up though.

Ok I've had my VRS checked out and it seems the stuttering is due to it being remapped to 180hp. That's why the stuttering only occurs at certain rev ranges.

The egr valve was clogged up though.

Yes, 180 is greedy and a bit silly, 165 is a much smoother proposition. Talk to Faboka about a much better map.